1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Critique my proposed build...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sportsphreek, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    OP, the later question about powdercoating the chrome bumper - no dice. you can't paint or coat it - chrome won't let anything stick, even with prep, hence the suggestion about trading and/or re-skinning and painting it.

2. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    For 16 inch wheels, look at Pro-Comp.. I personally like the 7089's, but wheels are always based on personal preference.

I would recommend staying away from spacers, but that is just me.

I have been a big fan of BFG A/T's... I would buy them again for sure.

3. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM
    Sportsphreek

Sportsphreek [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD Off Road
    I definitely saw one that was "remodeled" but I think it was still functional. So for a 2.5"-3" lift, I shouldn't need to drop it to help the CV Joints and everything?

Ah it was worth a shot haha ;)

I'm not familiar with choosing a wheel that has the spacer for a 285 wheel built into it. Can someone tell me both how I should look to measure for that, whether I should stay with a 16" rim size, and what some good brands/merchants are.

-Kevin

4. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    the wheels dont have a spacer built into it. search this forum to educate yourself on backspacing, offset, etc regarding rims. buying a new wheel with different measurements will avoid having to run wheel spacers. wheels are cheaper than spacers + powdercoating, which also leaves you with two sets of wheels.

5. Jan 7, 2011 at 11:28 PM
    Sportsphreek

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD Off Road
    Ok, having done even more reading than I already did I have come to the conclusions that I want to upgrade to the 265/75R16 for the extra inch. I really just don't want to trim anything at all to accommodate the 285/75R16.

I still kind of want to add a spacer to each of the tires, but as was said earlier, I might as well simply get new rims at that point (Which may be in line down the road).

Since I have the rear TSB, I really only need 4 Bilstein 5100's and 2 Eibach springs outside of my tires right? Or do I need a spacer for the front springs still to get the full lift?

I think I'll have to start with the suspension no matter how goofy that will look with 265/70R16 tires...

-Kevin

Edit: Since the rear 5100's are not adjustable, is there any reason to switch from the stock TRD Off-Road Bilstein shocks to the 5100's? I could technically upgrade just the front for the time being and upgrade the rear after the new tires, correct? Just out of curiosity...

6. Jan 7, 2011 at 11:46 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Yeah stick with 265s. Save on gas for sure.

7. Jan 8, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    the rear 5100s will not result in any lift. they are made to accompany 1-3" of lift. if youre happy with the way the rear sits as is, i'd skip it altogether and just work on the front.

8. Jan 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    Sportsphreek

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD Off Road
    Well the way I see it - the TRD Springs are already a very similar version of the 5100's, I might as well save the money and upgrade them later if I get the itch ;) (<-Which I will)

Doesn't seem too bad. Since I am only swapping suspension on the front for now, I'm looking at ~$300 plus the cost of the tires in the immediate future.

-Kevin

9. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:16 AM
    Sportsphreek

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD Off Road
    Yea - I don't know why I said springs. I meant shocks. Football was distracting me ;)

So you're saying the new 5100's provide that much of a better ride that I should go with all 4 right now?

-Kevin

10. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:32 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    spidertrax wheel spacers are sick. they are 1.25" and im running them on all four wheels. they actually saved me some body damage last week when i hit a guard rail. if the wheels didnt stick out just a little further than the fenders, the fenders would have be f-ed.

as for powdercoating the wheels.. I would strongly suggest just spray painting them as per the thread on here somewhere. I painted mine and I love it. everyone thought i got new rims and they didnt believe they were painted.
    My reason for not wanting powdercoating is that if they get messed up a little bit, spray paint can be touched up easily where powdercoating would have to be completely re-done.

11. Jan 9, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    Sportsphreek

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD Off Road
    First off - NICE build! I really really like the rear view camera switch, interior outlets, and fog light switches.

Eventually, I think I'll get backspaced wheels among other things, but for now, I think I am going to grab the necessary parts for the front suspension, followed by the tires, followed by the rear suspension. (Perhaps with a brush guard mixed in there somewhere)

The spray painting might be a good alternative while I wait to buy the new wheels.

That is interesting. Thanks for the advice. I'm excited to experience the difference =)

-Kevin

Products Discussed in

To Top