1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Critique my proposed build...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sportsphreek, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    Sportsphreek

Sportsphreek [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD Off Road
    So I'm starting to assemble a list of components needed to do a suspension lift on my Tacoma. I already got the TSB for the rear leaf springs filled. I was wondering if anyone could comment on this list:

Bilstein 5100 w/ Front Spacer and 2" Add-a-leaf BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO LT285/75R16/D (Will black out lettering)
    http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire...c/285/75/16/R/all-terrain-t-a-ko/tire-details

I have the stock TRD Off-Road rims (16"), but I would like to black them out along with the lettering on the tires. Any ideas on how to do this?

Additionally, how would I get the color keyed rear bumper. Right now it is the chrome, but I'm thinking that may stand out a little in relation to everything else.

------------ My only reservations -------------
    1. Will I need spacers for my front tires given that I am looking for the 285's? Would I be better off to drop to the 275's? I really want the tires and the 3" lift to go well (I don't want 1 to overpower the other)

2. Isn't a 2" AAL with the TSB a lot for the back? Perhaps I'm way off the mark on this, but I don't want blocks because they seem the "cheaper" way of doing things.

3. The Adjustable 5100's make me worried only because there is only 1" of downward articulation left in them. While I don't typically do serious off-roading, I don't want to be hampered by that fact. Any suggestions on shocks/struts/coil-overs that don't have that limitation (As I understand it, I would need to extend the break lines if I break that limitation).

Thanks,
    -SP

2. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    ycart1201

ycart1201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC TRD Sport 4x4 - My build is underway
    Current Project: 2016 DC TRD Sport 4x4
    Im only answering the ones I have decent input on.:rolleyes:

Those are nice tires. I was debating between those and the BFG MT's that I got.

Search button will help you with this one. :) You can have them powdercoated or you can prep and paint them yourself with special paints. You'll have to search for the specifics on the prep and paint as I have never done it but ive read about it.
    From what i've read, if you're keeping your oem wheels then you'll need spacers to push them out away from the truck otherwise the tires will not clear. Again, search for this one. I think you'll need 1" or 1.25" spidertrax spacers. I dont have these (Ive only read about these) and no experience with them so my specs may be off a little... so please search to find exactly what you need. Or hopefully someone who has this set up will chime in.

You should take a look through the 2nd gen build threads and you'll find someone running this setup. Im sure they would help answer all questions if you PM them. :)

Hope i've helped more than i've confused.

Nathan
    ycart1201

3. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    if i'm not mistaken, don't white letter tires have white letters only on one side so you can choose to have them outward facing or not?

re: wheels, powder coating is the way to go for durability, or having a reputable body/paint shop refinish them - a shop that has experience refinishing wheels. most wheels from the factory are painted and are pretty durable, but some also are also coated nowadays. either way you will be fine - powder coating can't be touched up per se but it doesn't matter much with black. you can just touch it up like paint if you end up marring the wheel in some way on a trail.

re: the bumper - the options are:
    find someone who will trade for a color matched, which isn't very likely
    find someone who will trade their base black bumper, which IS very likely
    get the OE black "skin" from toyota, paint it, then swap with your chrome "skin".

4. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    Sportsphreek

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD Off Road
    First off - ya'll are awesome for responding so fast and detailed!

Yea the reason I'm not going with M/T is I have a 20 mile commute to and from the office every day. From what I understand, M/T don't last near as long as A/T for standard road driving.

Ah ya got me ;) - I searched for nearly everything else to form this build, but I neglected to on this one. Black powdercoating sounds terrific to me. Heck, I could do that right now!

I'll do some searching and look around for the spacers. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to cut any part of truck away ;)

Hmm now that you mention it, the TRD's come stock with P265/70R16 All-Terrain T/A's I believe, thus they are not directional - so I could. Though from what I have read I need to swap right and left to keep the radial mesh going in the same direction.

Woah I had no idea we get a discount. I'll look into those Eibach shocks though. Am I correct in assuming that I would need to extend the the brake lines though?

Hmm - any thoughts on what a powdercoating might look like on the chrome bumper as well?

-SP

5. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    They come with BFG Rugged trail TA's, nit the All Terrain TA's.

6. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    For a few hundred bucks more, I would do the eibach coils. I have them paired with the 5100 shocks and really like it. The BFG ATs are the best tire made hands down. They will last you forever. Black wall gets my vote. You dont need any extended brake lines. What else?

7. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    TurfTaco

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    Oh yes, you will need spidertrax spacers if you plan to keep your stock wheels. $200.00 for the spacers and at least that if you were to powdercoat the wheels so you may want to think about just getting new wheels. As far as the white letters. You can buy black wall BFG ATs or just get the white letter and put the white letter side in. I traded my chrome bumper for a base black and had it colormatched. Its hard to find someone wanting a chrome bumper. Get you an ATO rear bumper!

8. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    I have to recommend the extended lines, at least for the rear.

9. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:15 PM
    Sportsphreek

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD Off Road
    So Eibach coils and OME shocks won't need extended brake lines for >1" of articulation? I just know that for lifts >3" you need to, so I figured that applied to articulation as well.
    Would I also be correct in assuming to fix alignment and camber, I should drop the front differential?
    I noticed that the crappy roads here in Northern Virginia have dinged up my Rugged Trail T/A (Thanks for the correction jdmcq!). Since the All-Terrain's are a 10 ply tire, I figured that, although the ride may be more choppy, they will hold up better :)

http://www.spidertrax.com/Toyota-Hub-Centric-Spacer

I assume that is the spacer you all are referring to. I would go to 265 or 275's, but I honestly feel like the 3" lift deserves beefy tires :)

-SP

10. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    Sportsphreek

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD Off Road
    That's a pretty cheap fix if I'm not mistaken, I just hate messing with my brakes lol. Thanks for the information!

11. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    Sportsphreek

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD Off Road
    Also, the Toytec/Eibach Coils only give a 1.6" lift on my model truck. To get the 3" lift, I don't know that even 1 spacer would be enough. Wouldn't I be better off with the OME 884's with the top spacer?

-SP

12. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    TurfTaco

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    You set the 5100 shocks at .85 when paired with the coils. I got 3" of lift and it hasnt settled at all. You dont need extended brake lines. You dont need any lift if you are using a 265/75 tire. Think 285s:D

13. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    If you add the 5100s to the eibach springs it is the 3 inch lift in front and the rear I have the TSB and the Toytec AAL. I have it on my truck and the ride is great. Im putting 285s on as soon as my 265s go bald. And I did not extend the brake lines.

14. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    TurfTaco

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    Yup

15. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    I like the looks to. Here is a pic of mine. With 285s it looks really good though. I only have 265/75s.
    [​IMG]

16. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    skip wheel spacers ($200) and powder coating wheels ($300-400) and just buy new black wheels with the proper offset ($400-600). then, sell your stock wheels. instead of spending $500-600+ on spacers and powdercoating old wheels you can spend $400-600 on a nice set of new black rims with the proper offset to run 285s, and sell the old rims for $200-300 or keep them for snow wheels or whatever you want. spidertrax get a lot of talk on here, personally i wouldnt run them but for what youre looking for, black wheels and change offset to run 285s it would seem much smarter and cheaper to buy new wheels!

Just trying to help. I'm running 5100s and an AAL with 285/75R16s too!!

Jason

17. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    TurfTaco

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    This is what I would do, but dont count your chickens before they hatch...it takes some time to sell the wheels cause there are soo many for sale and dont expect to get over 250 for the set. For a quick sale price them at 150-175.--

18. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    i sold my stock trd (1st gen) wheels within 30 minutes of putting them on craigslist for 200 cash right after i got home from les schwab.

19. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    Sportsphreek

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD Off Road
    Interesting idea regarding simply getting new wheels. Can anyone recommend a couple nice 16" wheels to look at? (I don't see any reason to move to a 17" rim size personally)

Nice truck Hoyal!! The only reason I ask about different shocks and brake lines is that I remember reading the lift Q&A thread that stated that at the full 3" lift you only get 1" of articulation (Maybe I misunderstood that). 1" of travel downward just doesn't seem like much at all to me (Again maybe I'm mistaken).

What might I ask is the difference in going with the Eibach springs over the Bilstein springs? Are the Eibach's a better spring? Cheaper?

Thanks so much for all the help. Ya'll are great.

Right now I am leaning towards:
    Toytec Eibach Springs w/Spacer
    Bilstein 5100's
    BFG AT T/A KO LT265/75R16
    New wheels

Would you guys highly recommend a .5" drop for the differential or is it not worth it for this amount of lift?

Thanks,
    -SP

20. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    PWhite13

PWhite13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Prescott
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3
    A lot of experienced people on here say not to get the drop, as that size lift won't hurt the CV's too bad. In fact, one guy's truck had the diff drop, and he hit a rock and destroyed his whole front diff. I think MJP2

Products Discussed in

To Top