1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership forgot to put in oil at 6000km

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Balien, Jan 7, 2011.

?

Have you ever had an oil change at the dealership?

Poll closed Feb 20, 2011.
  1. Yes

78 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    42.6%
  1. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    I'd be getting a big billboard printed up for the back of it.

They changed my oil here but forgot to put new oil in !

Park it out front, lock it up and leave it there.

2. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I doubt seriously Toyota will accept any responsibility since it was the dealership that screwed up. But still, they ARE interested since they have the liability for warranty repairs! So...the effect of your filing the claim with Toyota is probably that your drive train warranty is now voided since you operated the vehicle with the oil light on!

I also doubt the dealership will give you a new engine if the current one is performing well at this point...it's hard to prove damage if nothing is acting up. Still, if you can get it by all means do so.

BUT short of that, I totally agree there's now a lot of wear that effectively reduces life of the engine, AT THE VERY LEAST the dealer should give you an unconditional warranty on engine internals (especially since Toyota should/could void warranty). Whatever happens in the future, including high oil consumption (make sure that's defined but be reasonable) they fix for free. And here's what's important: you get to pick the certified shop to do the work. Just so you know they aren't trying to screw you.

If they won't accept that then find a good lawyer or Canadian equiv. to small claims court. You have a serious problem, especially since Toyota can void warranty (hopefully, in the interests of customer relations if nothing else, they go to bat for you though.)

Oh, and screw the one free oil change...you want free oil changes for life. That should be reasonable to them, 'cause then they know you are taking good care of it.

Point is: don't let it rest where it's at, but be reasonable about what you might get from it. Expecting a new engine is just not reasonable if it's operating normally at this point, but any reasonable person would agree operating life is seriously degraded.

3. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Fixing whatever problem in the future is no good cause you bought it to drive not sit in the shop. It's a BRAND NEW TRUCK ! They Fucked it up. It no big deal changing the engine out or giving you a new truck. Giving you a new truck would be cheaper then changing the engine.

Good thing this happened at the dealership and not jiffy lube. They have no recourse. They screwed up.

4. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:06 AM
    pizzo

pizzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    09 dc taco trd sport
    damn dude. which dealership is this??? im from central canada as well and i wouldn't want my truck getting serviced there.

5. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    demand a new engine or a new truck or sue them! Lawyers would love this case!

6. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Everything up to this point is entirely the dealership's fault.

You drove. You saw the oil light on, but you kept driving. You drove with no oil pressure. You realize the oil pressure light lighting and staying lit means "SHUT OFF THE ENGINE RIGHT NOW".

You pull over. You stop. You call the dealership and they TOW IT BACK. You don't keep driving. If you keep driving, you cause more damage.

Now, it probably did minimal damage. It probably was only running for a couple of minutes without oil, right? It might not have any effect on the engine operation or lifespan.

7. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oh come on.

Without any evidence of an actual engine failure or even minor damage, you demand a new engine?

Sure, Toyota is going to throw $5,000 at him to replace what is probably an undamaged engine just because he uses the word "sue".

Lawyers are going to advise him that without actual damages or some documentable form of reduced engine lifespan (with expert testimony supporting it) he has no case.

8. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    bamma

bamma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    Current: 2011 Land Cruiser

What are you talking about Grandma? The dealership drained his oil and didn't refill it. He was driving around with NO oil!

9. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    That's terrible advice and will leave anyone paying for the engine themselves. Just stupid. Ignore it.

10. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    There is no fucking way in fucking hell I'd bit the bullet on this if this happened to me. Any judge will side with you. Trucks are expensive. He drove it 1km till the light came on then drove it back 1km with the light on.

Brand new truck. No way in hell. Take NO for a answer.

All you people here on this forum that think there is no damage, would you buy this truck now?

No if the engine would have died on the way back they would have no excuse what so ever. It just happens to still run. It the same as them working on the brakes and you driving away and getting into a accident cause you got no brakes. They worked on it last, they have insurance for this kind of thing.

11. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    shook0002

shook0002 "The Fuzz"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    '08 Doublecab 4X4 SR5
    You may not hear anything, but I'd be willing to bet the mains are scored and showing copper. I'd hook up a manual oil pressure gauge to it and drive it until its nice and warm and check the pressure, and compare it to factory specs at idle.

12. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:28 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    How many judges have you dealt with professionally to know what the law is on this matter?

13. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    A judge will side with the owner of the truck cause that same judge gets his car or truck fixed chances are at the same places.. The owner didn't do anything wrong the dealership did. Pretty much black and white.

14. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:34 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    That's probably the one of the BEST things to do to make a case...compression test...oil pressure tests.

But if they are inconclusive, with measurements still within factory specs? If they are, and you're before a judge, the dealership could make the case "see...it's just like brand new...there are no problems by the plaintiff's own tests! We believe giving them the free oil change was MORE than enough to repay them for the delay and hassle of returning to the dealership."

Then you might walk away with nothing.

15. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Yes this should be done and a leakdown test should be done to test the condition of the piston/cylinder wall seal. But it's probably perfectly fine. Like I mentioned engines are a lot tougher than most of you realize. 2 kilometers isn't very far and the engine was not completely dry. Mine ran to the point of it locking up solid! All I needed was a set of main bearings. granted it was my mistake not noticing but I thought it would be a lot worse. After spending about 3 grand on a performance rebuild of my 2F this is the last thing I wanted to see but all turned out fine.

DSCN1031_74f729e57fa1d648d45c822b9ce10751bd499a5b.jpg

16. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Wrong...you are legally obligated to behave in a sensible and responsible fashion by taking appropriate measures when the oil light illuminates.

The judge would ask himself "would I have done that if I wasn't looking for someone else to pay for it?" the answer is obvious. A jury would be asked to consider the same question. It's a stupid thing to do.

17. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    And who is going to say when it came on? Not like a alarm rings or anything. I got my truck drove off the lot but after awhile it started to sound odd so I turned around then it stopped and the oil light came on so I pulled to the side of the road.

18. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't know about Canada (OP), but in states around here a "Rebuilt/Remanufactured Title" is only issued if the vehicle has been titled as "SALVAGE" or "NON HIGHWAY USE" and the owner now wants to re-title it for highway use.

19. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Before you do this, ask an attorney whether you have a "duty to mitigate damages".

20. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    ^^This

There is no way that engine did not suffer any damage! If you accept the truck back now without a new engine it will likely fail in spectacular fashion at the worst possible time. These trucks don't even have an oil pressure gauge to warn you.

I would have left it in the shop and told them to replace engine while I drive a free loaner car. If they refused, truck gets parked in front of dealership and I tell everyone who will listen what just happened.

Good luck man, I am sorry you have to deal with that type of bullshit. They know exactly what no oil pressure for a mile of driving spells for an engine.

Products Discussed in

To Top