Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Flowmaster American Thunder VS Custom w/Flowmaster Mufflers

Old 01-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
RSH904 is a jewel in the roughRSH904 is a jewel in the roughRSH904 is a jewel in the roughRSH904 is a jewel in the rough

RSH904's Tacoma Gallery
Flowmaster American Thunder VS Custom w/Flowmaster Mufflers

I have an 07 Access Cab 4x4. I have had my heart set on the Flowmaster stainless American Thunder cat-back dual exhaust system. Im just about ready to pull the trigger. I have a family friend that just had a custom stainless cat-back dual exhaust system put on for about $150 less with installation by a custom exhaust company local. My father suggested that I look into just getting 2 Flowmaster mufflers and two tips of my choice and have the Custom Exhaust shop do the rest (or at least getting a quote). This would avoid having a pieced together system held together with clamps (and probably welds) because the shop would just bend pipes as needed. I have a couple questions.
1. What Flowmaster Mufflers would I want?
2. Any info on specs of pipe (diameter, etc)
3. Im looking for a nice loud/throaty sound. Any other muffler suggestions?
4. Opinions on custom cat-back?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Flowmaster stainless American thunder system... I really like it. Sounds good, only a slight drone at ~45mph and around there, but above 50 it sounds like stock. This has the Flowmaster 50 series muffler.

You'd want the Flowmaster 50 muffler. My catback is a single in/dual out muffler, meaning you wouldn't have to use (2) single mufflers. Decent looking tips at my local shop run about ~$60 each for your average stainless tip, whereas the black stainless tips run about $80 each. I believe the pipe is 2.50". If you want a louder sound, then a Flowmaster 40 would be better, although the 50 has a nice "hum" to it. The shop had to bend part of the pipe near the spare, but that was no problem.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
RSH904 is a jewel in the roughRSH904 is a jewel in the roughRSH904 is a jewel in the roughRSH904 is a jewel in the rough

RSH904's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I was thinking a 40 series but I wasn't sure. Thanks. Anybody else have any info??
Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
jmcclellan is on a distinguished road
Name: John
jmcclellan's Tacoma Gallery
Go to Youtube and look at our generation of Tacomas. It will let ya know what they used and what it sounds like. I personally am going to go with the Flowmaster Delta 50 series.It will eventually fade out at 45mph but sounds awesome when ya punch it at the start. I was considering the American Thunder kit too...but still undecided.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
super 44
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Dual exhaust= *Thumbs down*
Flow Master= *One Thumb up*

Flow Master is okayyyy. If I were you I would get single exhaust... Give my buddy a call, he makes custom mufflers. His mufflers are similar to the Borla mufflers and he sell the mufflers at a decent price.

Here is his number...
1-706-877-4234
Old 01-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Flowmaster Dual exits....(American THunder) with the 50 series.

It's a nice rumble and probably the quietest setup you can get in a kit. Flowmaster does have a 70 series muffler that's even quieter (from what I've read). THe kit works.... You can't offroad with it - as it'll interfere with suspension travel.

If you're looking for something LOUD - don't get the 50 muffler.

As for the custom vs the kit..... depends. If it were me...I'd wanna make damn sure the shop knows EXACTLY what I want. I'd wanna know exactly how they're going to route it before they actually perform the work.

THe last thing you need, is the custom shop slapping something together and it'll look like crap, and won't be a quality setup.