Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Different oil filters

Old 08-24-2008, 07:18 AM   #21
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Which one did you end up getting? I have the 90915-YZZD3, which is an oversized filter.
Thats the part number I get & the only one my dealer will sell me. My question is does everyone's come with the crush washer in the box? The ones from my dealer has the washer in the box & am wondering if this is normal in case I buy in bulk. Thanks
Old 08-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #22
rdcowan will become famous soon enough
rdcowan's Tacoma Gallery
Does this larger filter fit the 4-cylinder engine too? Also, is the 'crush washer' the same as the O-ring around the outside of the filter? (normally mounted on store-bought filters...)
Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #23
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcowan View Post
Does this larger filter fit the 4-cylinder engine too? Also, is the 'crush washer' the same as the O-ring around the outside of the filter? (normally mounted on store-bought filters...)
Don't know about the fit but the crush washer I'm talking about is the washer for your oil pan plug. Small but was included in my box from the dealer. Some buy it seperately.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #24
rdcowan's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting....I've never had a separate washer for the oil pan plug.... I've only changed the oil once myself. I bought my 2007 Tacoma 4-cyl used from a dealer with only 5,000 miles on it last December and the dealer 'gave' me the first oil change and I've done it once. Almost due again. I didn't notice the washer. Can they be bought at a parts store?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #25
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
just so everyone know, mobile 1 filters are made by fram.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #26
grantfire319 has a spectacular aura aboutgrantfire319 has a spectacular aura aboutgrantfire319 has a spectacular aura about
grantfire319's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Google "oil filter study" and also check out Bobistheoilguy.com. I have used Toyota filters lately because I bought 3 for a good price but my next change will be back to what I've been using for a few years on other vehicles, the Purolator PureOne. I will never use a Fram filter again.

Take it from a guy who has managed a major high volume quick lube and mechanic shop. BOB the oil guy is a freaking idiot.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #27
grantfire319 has a spectacular aura aboutgrantfire319 has a spectacular aura aboutgrantfire319 has a spectacular aura about
grantfire319's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Which one did you end up getting? I have the 90915-YZZD3, which is an oversized filter.
It's not oversized, the small one won't fit the thread pattern unless you force it on and cross thread it.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #28
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantfire319 View Post
Take it from a guy who has managed a major high volume quick lube and mechanic shop. BOB the oil guy is a freaking idiot.
fwiw major high volume quick lubes have ruined one of my dads work vans, almost my moms minivan, and my parents driveway. they also refuse to work on my truck flat out
Old 08-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #29
rdcowan's Tacoma Gallery
I think the 'oversized' just refers to a LONGER filter, same thread and gasket pattern.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #30
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How do I know you aren't? It's not like you need a college degree to work at a Jiffy Lube (I'm not saying that colleges aren't filled with idiots, either). Besides, there is an entire forum on BITOG with plenty of experience and opinions, just like yours.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #31
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
fwiw major high volume quick lubes have ruined one of my dads work vans, almost my moms minivan, and my parents driveway. they also refuse to work on my truck flat out
My father has a few delivery trucks and Jiffy Lube destroyed the engine in one of them and paid for a new one. I give them credit for rectifying the situation but that doesn't account for the lost revenue due to having one less truck.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #32
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 06 4cyl and I use a K&N pn#2009 oil filter. I like the 1" nut on the bottom and the 2009 is a larger filter so if I have to go 10,000 or even 15,000 between changes Im pretty sure the filter wont bypass due to clogging, I also put on a filter magnet cause the drain plug does not have a magnet in it.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #33
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
Thats the part number I get & the only one my dealer will sell me. My question is does everyone's come with the crush washer in the box? The ones from my dealer has the washer in the box & am wondering if this is normal in case I buy in bulk. Thanks
I bought a case from a dealer in TX and I haven't seen any crush washers in the box/s.

Was there one washer for each case? (I haven't really looked for one either)
Old 08-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #34
Enjoying my Tacoma
BillCarl is on a distinguished road
BillCarl's Tacoma Gallery
Crush Washer

Quote:
I bought a case from a dealer in TX and I haven't seen any crush washers in the box/s.

The crush washers were a separate item with the filters I bought from Frank Toyota (eBay store).
Old 08-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #35
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The OEM filter I bought at my dealer did not have the gasket (crush washer) in the box, but the cute (hot.hot,hot) parts lady gave me one for free. They list for a buck (rip off) and many, not all dealers throw them in if you pay the $5.41 list price for the filter. It is about the only good thing I can say about the stealership I bought my truck at.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #36
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like how if you are a repeat customer, you just wipe off the old filter so it looks new, if anyone happens to look.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #37
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know the NAPA GOLD oil filter part number for the 05+ V6's?
Old 08-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #38
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He sure seems to have the support of many qualified people in the filter and oil business. And many of my tests have had the same results as his.
FWIW, I would take his opinion over a guy at a "quick lube" place, only because I have seen the poor quality of work performed at these "quick lube" places, and I know of an employee at one that I would not hire to pick up my dogs poop, let alone pop the hood on a vehicle. ANd how do you explain all the fraud that has come to light from some of these chains?
Old 08-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #39
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's not oversized, the small one won't fit the thread pattern unless you force it on and cross thread it.
Not true. Research a little more.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #40
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Does anyone know the NAPA GOLD oil filter part number for the 05+ V6's?
------------------------------------------------------------------
1348 is the called for replacement, 1516 is the same spec but longer, 1068 is short, but large diameter, and 1515 is long and large diameter. All of these share the same anti drainback, and are equipped with an 8-11lb bypass, have 3/4"-16 threads and all at some time have been specified on older Toyota cars/trucks.