Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Different oil filters

Old 08-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #41
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRH View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------
1348 is the called for replacement, 1516 is the same spec but longer, 1068 is short, but large diameter, and 1515 is long and large diameter. All of these share the same anti drainback, and are equipped with an 8-11lb bypass, have 3/4"-16 threads and all at some time have been specified on older Toyota cars/trucks.
Which one to get of the choices that fits in the place of the stock and provides great performance?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #42
rdcowan will become famous soon enough
rdcowan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgnc64 View Post
I have an 06 4cyl and I use a K&N pn#2009 oil filter. I like the 1" nut on the bottom and the 2009 is a larger filter so if I have to go 10,000 or even 15,000 between changes Im pretty sure the filter wont bypass due to clogging, I also put on a filter magnet cause the drain plug does not have a magnet in it.

Thanks!! Great information. I think I'll do the same.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #43
grantfire319 has a spectacular aura aboutgrantfire319 has a spectacular aura aboutgrantfire319 has a spectacular aura about
grantfire319's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
My father has a few delivery trucks and Jiffy Lube destroyed the engine in one of them and paid for a new one. I give them credit for rectifying the situation but that doesn't account for the lost revenue due to having one less truck.

WHOOOOAAA THERE COWBOY, First off I don't have anything to do with Jiffy Lube. In my opinion their service is horrible. I run a top notch operation. I am employed by Major quick lube, where we also do some auto repair. In fact I have a crew full of guys who are in college and a couple who are in graduate school, working their way through school. (Not that you care,I have a BA in mgmt).There all smart guys, and go through a tough training process. Most of them have prior mechanical experience prior to coming in my store. ARe there idiots out there working at quick lubes, hell yeah, not mine though. Does stuff get messed up every now and again? Sure. The fact of the matter is that it's minimal and we take care of our customers. For you all to raint on and on about us "idiots at the quick lube." I have seen countless of oil tests and filter test at the lab and I have seen what works in real life. I am just trying to help you out on something I know about. Sorry about your experiences at the quick lube. Just because one Mcdonalds gives you bad service, doesn't mean all of them are the same.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #44
grantfire319 has a spectacular aura aboutgrantfire319 has a spectacular aura aboutgrantfire319 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
Like how if you are a repeat customer, you just wipe off the old filter so it looks new, if anyone happens to look.
Yeah that's what we do? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Not true. Research a little more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
He sure seems to have the support of many qualified people in the filter and oil business. And many of my tests have had the same results as his.
FWIW, I would take his opinion over a guy at a "quick lube" place, only because I have seen the poor quality of work performed at these "quick lube" places, and I know of an employee at one that I would not hire to pick up my dogs poop, let alone pop the hood on a vehicle. ANd how do you explain all the fraud that has come to light from some of these chains?

Jiffy Lube has given some bad spotlight on the quick lubes.
What I do know is that we give good service. It's a shame one bad apple spoils the bunch. DO whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #45
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantfire319 View Post
WHOOOOAAA THERE COWBOY, First off I don't have anything to do with Jiffy Lube. In my opinion their service is horrible. I run a top notch operation. I am employed by Major quick lube, where we also do some auto repair. In fact I have a crew full of guys who are in college and a couple who are in graduate school, working their way through school. (Not that you care,I have a BA in mgmt).There all smart guys, and go through a tough training process. Most of them have prior mechanical experience prior to coming in my store. ARe there idiots out there working at quick lubes, hell yeah, not mine though. Does stuff get messed up every now and again? Sure. The fact of the matter is that it's minimal and we take care of our customers. For you all to raint on and on about us "idiots at the quick lube." I have seen countless of oil tests and filter test at the lab and I have seen what works in real life. I am just trying to help you out on something I know about. Sorry about your experiences at the quick lube. Just because one Mcdonalds gives you bad service, doesn't mean all of them are the same.
Again, though I do agree with you that not ALL quick lube places suck (I'd never use one), you're one anonymous dude on the internet. I've been a member at BITOG for almost 3 years and I've seen plenty of oil studies there and I've done plenty of my own (Blackstone) so I know what works and what doesn't (according to my standards). For you to make a blanket statement like "BOB the oil guy is a freaking idiot" is just nonsense. I've seen nothing on BITOG that, based on my own many years of experience, would lead me to believe that is true.

And yes, ALL McDonald's are the same.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #46
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
X2 ^^^^
Old 08-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #47
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
This dude needs to fess up to who he works for. Then we can really flame him.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #48
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
And yes, ALL McDonald's are the same.
I beg to differ. In Liberty MO the mc d's on the interstate sucks, the one in town is muy bueno. Same franchise owner.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #49
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
im no oil expert by any means...HOWEVER...i do know quality service and how my vehicles are SUPPOSED to feel and drive

i have NEVER enjoyed the experience of going to a quicky oil change place

ive used several different ones for various reasons

i no longer do that...none of the quick stop places will even TOUCH my truck...they tell me they wont drop my budbuilt skid...and my truck is too modified

so now i either do it myself (with wills help!) or take it to a guy here who's shop basically deals with heavily modified vehicles...all the employees have heavily modified vehicles...so i know they dont get upset about mine being modified

ive never gotten it back from them with oil all over the skid or dripping oil off the motor or anything like that...

I will NOT go back to a quicky oil place again
Old 08-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #50
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
I beg to differ. In Liberty MO the mc d's on the interstate sucks, the one in town is muy bueno. Same franchise owner.
Anyway...I was a manager for a few McD's for 9 years (regretfully) but I'll be damned if my employees screwed something up. If they did - the customers got their money back or free food. Plain and simple.

I don't use quick lubes either. It's unfortunate they have a bad rap. A lot of people who use them are uneducated themselves about their own vehicles and maintenance. Nothing wrong with a jiffy lube joint - but you should be educated enough to CHECK and RECHECK the quality of the work you're getting (be able to spot a lack of quality before it becomes an issue).

Jiffy lube places probably don't pay much at all - and that attracks young and/or ill experienced people who can't get a higher paying job. With those employees (same type of employees you get at McDonalds) -babysitting is a necessity or else they just don't give two shits about the customers, or their job.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:03 AM   #51
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Nothing wrong with a jiffy lube joint - but you should be educated enough to CHECK and RECHECK the quality of the work you're getting (be able to spot a lack of quality before it becomes an issue).
I disagree...i should NOT have to check behind someone who is being paid to do the job right in the first place...thats why i take my truck where i do...because i dont have to worry about checking behind him
Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #52
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
I disagree...i should NOT have to check behind someone who is being paid to do the job right in the first place...thats why i take my truck where i do...because i dont have to worry about checking behind him
It doesn't matter who works on my vehicles or even my house - I ALWAYS check their work. If you spot a problem, it's easier to get it fixed ASAP than waiting until you've created a $5000 or even a $1,000 repair job that'll be harder prooving where the problem started and getting it fixed.

Surely, there are people I can trust and not worry. However - everyone makes mistakes and its that ONE time that'll screw ya.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #53
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcowan View Post
Does this larger filter fit the 4-cylinder engine too? Also, is the 'crush washer' the same as the O-ring around the outside of the filter? (normally mounted on store-bought filters...)
My Toyota parts guy gave me the V6 filter instead of the I4. Itís longer but everything else is identical.

The crush washer is for the drain bolt. These things donít crush very much and can be reused for years.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #54
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
You shouldn't HAVE to....but I do it just to be sure about what was done. I've heard enuf stories outta places that do volume oil changes that led me to climb under my car as soon as I got home from an oil change.

+1 to Janster saying it's easier to catch it early and get it fixed then waiting till your truck breaks...
Old 08-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #55
Defying Alliances since 2007
TacoTurd will become famous soon enoughTacoTurd will become famous soon enough

TacoTurd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Which one did you end up getting? I have the 90915-YZZD3, which is an oversized filter.
Yeah that's the one. Which I see is also already on my truck, so I have been using them all along.

Never mind
Old 08-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #56
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
It doesn't matter who works on my vehicles or even my house - I ALWAYS check their work. If you spot a problem, it's easier to get it fixed ASAP than waiting until you've created a $5000 or even a $1,000 repair job that'll be harder prooving where the problem started and getting it fixed.

Surely, there are people I can trust and not worry. However - everyone makes mistakes and its that ONE time that'll screw ya.
i will agree with that...im just saying i shouldnt HAVE to...its sad that in this day and age we really do HAVE to check behind someone being paid to do a job to ensure that they did it correctly and sufficiently
Old 08-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #57
wow, makes me think a little different of some of the people on this site. Where do you work, or what industry do you work in, so I can dog it out too. I admit my mistake on Bob the oil guy. It's been awhile since I have visted his website. It does have some good info on it and looks like he has changed a few things. Looks good. It's a shame I try to share my opinion and then the busts on quick lubes start raining down.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #58
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

i work in law enforcement

i put a big red target on my back every morning i go to work in order for you to go to work safely

by all means...please...dog it out

edit

i dont mean to dog on anyone who is a good honest member of society...around here those type of places are work release places and theres no sense of a job well done
Old 08-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #59
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
im no oil expert by any means...HOWEVER...i do know quality service and how my vehicles are SUPPOSED to feel and drive

i have NEVER enjoyed the experience of going to a quicky oil change place

ive used several different ones for various reasons

i no longer do that...none of the quick stop places will even TOUCH my truck...they tell me they wont drop my budbuilt skid...and my truck is too modified

so now i either do it myself (with wills help!) or take it to a guy here who's shop basically deals with heavily modified vehicles...all the employees have heavily modified vehicles...so i know they dont get upset about mine being modified

ive never gotten it back from them with oil all over the skid or dripping oil off the motor or anything like that...

I will NOT go back to a quicky oil place again
bring it on back next time man...........i dont mind skid plates and hot oil!!!! i live for that stuff man!!(and mud,gear oil, tranny oil,blood,beer,water.....am i missing anything??)
Old 08-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #60
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
bring it on back next time man...........i dont mind skid plates and hot oil!!!! i live for that stuff man!!(and mud,gear oil, tranny oil,blood,beer,water.....am i missing anything??)
sweat and dirt dauber carcasses