Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Different oil filters

Old 08-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Different oil filters

I was picking up a few oil filters the other day and while I was looking for the oil filter with the prefix PH (the recommended) i notice a few others all by fram with the same numbers but different prefixes. I didn't give the HM (for High Mileage) mush thought since I only have 20K but the other was TG (Tough Guard). The back said that it was for tougher driving and listed as examples: stop and go, up and down hills, dusty conditions etc.

So I was wondering if anyone could contribute their $.02 in this and let me know:
1) Do they fit as a replacement filter?
2) Would the TG rob fuel economy?
3) What are basic pros/cons?

Thanks a bunch,
Dan
Old 08-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
If you get the correct part number, it will fit and function as intended, but Fram is nowhere near the best quality filter on the market. The "high mileage" and "Tough Guard" are just ways to get you to pay a little more for a cheap filter; and will not effect mileage in any way unless it fails, in which case your fuel bill will go from whatever it is now, down to $0.00 a month. Many many people have used Frams in the past and not had problems, but dissect on and you will feel better using another, better assembled brand from a company who spends some money on R&D versus advertising.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Enjoying my Tacoma
BillCarl is on a distinguished road
BillCarl's Tacoma Gallery
Genuine Toyota Filters are Inexpensive

I Have an 08 with the 4.0 liter V6. I bought 10 Genuine Toyota filters (90915-YZZD3-DS) and 10 crush washers (or gaskets if you will) (90430-12031) from Frank Toyota over the Internet and paid $38 plus $7 shipping for a grand total of $45 for ten of each. So, I don't see why to bother with non Toyota oil filters.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRH View Post
If you get the correct part number, it will fit and function as intended, but Fram is nowhere near the best quality filter on the market. The "high mileage" and "Tough Guard" are just ways to get you to pay a little more for a cheap filter; and will not effect mileage in any way unless it fails, in which case your fuel bill will go from whatever it is now, down to $0.00 a month. Many many people have used Frams in the past and not had problems, but dissect on and you will feel better using another, better assembled brand from a company who spends some money on R&D versus advertising.
I'm gonna get flamed again for what I'm about to say - but hey, I don't care. Tons of people use Fram filters without problems. They're not nearly as bad as everyone claims them to be. If Fram filters were that bad - they wouldn't be in business.

Go ahead and cut one open..... Do you really know what you're looking at?
The only people who know what a filter should look like, are the engineers who designed it. Just because you cut a filter open and it doesn't look like what you EXPECT it should - doesn't mean its a bad filter.

I have ot laugh everytime I read these types of responses in regards to oil filters. Everyone nits & picks about how cheap & bad filters are - yet the same people don't have a clue how oil filters are designed and why.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
Notice I did not tell him not to use Fram, as I doubt he will have an engine failure doing so. I myself do not use overpriced "boutique" filters, just what I feel are good quality. I do recommend the OP not pay extra for the Tough Guard as driving up and down hills does not call for a different filter, nor does using a high mileage filter going to do him any good except lighten his wallet. Fram needs to just make a good filter and be done with it, versus spending R&D dollars on ads and introducing some new variation of the same mediocre filter every few years or so.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I'm gonna get flamed again for what I'm about to say - but hey, I don't care. Tons of people use Fram filters without problems. They're not nearly as bad as everyone claims them to be. If Fram filters were that bad - they wouldn't be in business.

Have to support Janster, used nothing but Fram PH3614 on my old 91 Toyota PU, and it did not blow by 180K when it was rear ended and totaled. Still have one in the garage that was bought in about 1999. Would probably use it if the paper inside was not 10 years old. Although there are better filters for the same money, they wont ruin your car. On BITOG people have problems with filters of all makes, even Toyota OEM, Napa Gold, Ect. Heck the founder of BITOG, Bob himself, has made adapters that eliminate filters altogether, and his cars still run. The important thing is that you are changing your oil.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you very much for your responses. The debates (or constructive arguments) have helped me a bunch. Even though I am in college for mechanical engineering, I have not learned anything about oil filters so i do not know how they work. For now i'm going to put in the fram PH 3614 I got from walmart for cheap and look into some better ones in the same price range. LRH...do you have any specific suggestions?

Just pointing out that you never said not to use them, just be weary about the advertising
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRH View Post
Many many people have used Frams in the past and not had problems
Old 08-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Google "oil filter study" and also check out Bobistheoilguy.com. I have used Toyota filters lately because I bought 3 for a good price but my next change will be back to what I've been using for a few years on other vehicles, the Purolator PureOne. I will never use a Fram filter again.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Thank you very much for your responses. The debates (or constructive arguments) have helped me a bunch. Even though I am in college for mechanical engineering, I have not learned anything about oil filters so i do not know how they work. For now i'm going to put in the fram PH 3614 I got from walmart for cheap and look into some better ones in the same price range. LRH...do you have any specific suggestions?

Just pointing out that you never said not to use them, just be weary about the advertising
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wix (also sold as NAPA Gold, and CarQuest's top line; I am unsure of the name), Baldwin, Luberfiner, Donaldson are all good comercial level suppliers. Champion Industries makes flters from average to very good quality, and is the largest maker of private label filters, including the WalMart store brand, which looks very decent when cut apart. Purolator makes several good filters, but it is sometimes hard to figure which are the best assembled due to my lack of specific model trade names, but past posts here and elsewhere will help you. I know many who use NAPA Silver, which are made in the Wix Gastonia NC plant; they have a few less pleats, and a nitrile vs silicone anti drainback valve, but look good when cut apart, and can be had for $1.99-2.79 for ~80% of popular part numbers. In the end it is you; and you should use what you feel comfortable with, and if it works, keep using it....
Old 08-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Google "oil filter study" and also check out Bobistheoilguy.com. I have used Toyota filters lately because I bought 3 for a good price but my next change will be back to what I've been using for a few years on other vehicles, the Purolator PureOne. I will never use a Fram filter again.
+1!
Im not an "Oil filter engineer", but out of the Hundreds of oil filters I have changed and sampled, the only ones I have had problems with have been Fram. Problems have ranged from the filtering media disintegrating, poor filtration, to all out failure. To those that use Fram, more power to ya. I wont even run a Fram filter on my Air compressor.
Oh, btw, The Fram Tough Gaud filter I tried out on my Nissan left really cool peices of orange shit in my engine.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #11
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
I like the K&N filters because they have the one inch nut welded to the end. Getting to the filter without pulling the skid plate off is a bi-otch. Having that nut makes it so quick...
Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
I had a K&N leak on me once, not saying it's the filter because I may have been drinking when changing the oil however, I just don't think they are worth it. As for fram, well have never been able to bring myself to use them. I must admit I do still use the Toyota filters because I also have a 97 Taco. If you ever hear an older (22R) engine start and rattle the valves its because they do not have a Toyota filter. The Toyota filters have a rubber seal at the top that stops the oil from draining back to the oil pan in older models. As for now, the only filter I will use other than Toyota is Napa Gold, mostly because they are made by WIX for Napa. In my opinion the Napa gold filter is the one to use. And yes I have cut many open, I emplore you to do the same. It will not take long to see why to use a quality filter.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #13
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCarl View Post
I Have an 08 with the 4.0 liter V6. I bought 10 Genuine Toyota filters (90915-YZZD3-DS) and 10 crush washers (or gaskets if you will) (90430-12031) from Frank Toyota over the Internet and paid $38 plus $7 shipping for a grand total of $45 for ten of each. So, I don't see why to bother with non Toyota oil filters.
the ones u bought from the dealers...
was the filter made in japan or thailand?
the ones comes with the truck orignal is made in japan, after that, if u want to buy another one they only have the ones made is thailand which is lesser quality...
cheap bastards!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #15
Enjoying my Tacoma
BillCarl is on a distinguished road
BillCarl's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
the ones comes with the truck orignal is made in japan, after that, if u want to buy another one they only have the ones made is thailand which is lesser quality...
cheap bastards!
Yep,
It's made in Thailand.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #16
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
The important thing is that you are changing your oil.

After reading & discussing countless debates about Fram filters in the past - when I go to the store and I see FRAM filters on the shelf - It's like a nightmare! Immediately there are 1,000 little red devils sitting on my shoulder reminding me of all these filter debates and why I shouldn't buy them. Damn subliminal messages in my head.....

Jesus - when I'm 75 years old and I see a Fram filter, I'm gonna vomit!!

(laugh)
Yeah, seriously....I have OEM filters cuz I buy them in bulk. I bought a bunch of OEM mopar filters for previous vehicles - so now, even the jeep gets an OEM filter.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #17
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
cheap bastards!
You can get the Japanese made Denso from a dealer in Virginia, McGeorge Toyota. I inquired about them, and they are pricey. I was quoted $110.75 for 10 shipped to MO. They are a real nice filter. But are they worth twice what the Thialand filter costs. That up to the purchaser. PM me for the link if you are interested. They have to order them and 10 is the minimum purchase. I was quoted a 1 week turnaround time.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #18
wushaw has a spectacular aura aboutwushaw has a spectacular aura about
wushaw's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Jeep TJ with 125K on the clock (no Taco yet)...sooon. But anyway I tried Fram on the Jeep, I tried four filters in a row all 5k apart and they all leaked, I was gonna go back to Wix after the first one but I had to give it a good test just to make sure it wasn't me or something....nope wasn't me that was about 50K miles ago and no leaks from any Wix I have used since.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #19
Defying Alliances since 2007
TacoTurd will become famous soon enoughTacoTurd will become famous soon enough

TacoTurd's Tacoma Gallery
I had an interesting experience a couple of weeks ago.

I went into a Yoda stealership for four filters, just stocking up. I asked for Taco filters and the parts guy asked, "the big one or the little one?".

Turns out the Toyota V8 filter fits just fine.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:53 AM   #20
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTurd View Post
I had an interesting experience a couple of weeks ago.

I went into a Yoda stealership for four filters, just stocking up. I asked for Taco filters and the parts guy asked, "the big one or the little one?".

Turns out the Toyota V8 filter fits just fine.
Which one did you end up getting? I have the 90915-YZZD3, which is an oversized filter.