Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Being turned away from dealer because of lift? Look at these pics!

Old 01-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #21
10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
Name: Dillon
10.21's Tacoma Gallery
I told the dealer that the number one reason I a purchasing the truck is to mod it out. She told me as long as I don't touch anything in the engine, the warranty will cover it...still plan to mod the engine though...
Old 01-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #22
LEDsolutions is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEDsolutions is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEDsolutions is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEDsolutions is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEDsolutions is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEDsolutions is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEDsolutions is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEDsolutions is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEDsolutions is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEDsolutions is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEDsolutions is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LEDsolutions's Tacoma Gallery
Dealers do not do the install, I always see the lifted tacos and tundras being worked on at the san jose 4 wheel parts
Old 01-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #23
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
It's possible, but my experience has been the total opposite. They've covered multiple incidents that could have definitely been related to mods/offroading.
Again, theoretically things could run the gamut. You hope for the best and plan for the worst.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #24
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
The reason the pics were posted were because dealers/toyota refuse to deal with the defective front differential needle bearing. It wears in the truck at stock height, but the moment it's lifted you can feel the bad bearing. Toyota denies it as "the truck is lifted" even though their bearings are wearing while at stock. Some dealers and toyota reps have covered the failing bearings even with lifts on the trucks, other dealers/toyota reps won't cover it. So the thought behind this thread was to point out that the dealers are selling them with lifts which makes toyota's point of not covering anything in any of the suspension or drivetrain components due to a lift kind of a mute point. Pointing it out to toyota might put them in enough of a bind to have to cover the defective bearings. After all, they're not failing BECAUSE of the lift. The lift immediately helps you diagnose the defective parts in their front differential. The failing front differential bearings are a common problem with the 2nd Gen and a more common problem with the Tundra.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #25
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Waranties are built around the vehicle they sold you in the condition they sold you. I thought is was common knowledge that once you tear your truck up {modifications}, it voids your waranty. Maybe i'm just a dumbass, but I definitely wouldn't heavily modify my truck [like the ones I seen in this forum] and then take it to the dealer saying their product failed. Everyone in this forum knows your rolling the dice when you start modding.
P.S. I do not work for a dealer or ever have. I just know better.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #26
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
Waranties are built around the vehicle they sold you in the condition they sold you. I thought is was common knowledge that once you tear your truck up {modifications}, it voids your waranty. Maybe i'm just a dumbass, but I definitely wouldn't heavily modify my truck [like the ones I seen in this forum] and then take it to the dealer saying their product failed. Everyone in this forum knows your rolling the dice when you start modding.
P.S. I do not work for a dealer or ever have. I just know better.
I would argue the bolded part with you. There is NO reason that a highly modified SUSPENSION would negate warranty coverage on the ELECTRICAL system. PAINT/FINISH issues are not effected by aftermarket ENGINE mods.

Read about the Moss Maggnuson Act, lest you make a decision to skip a mod you want because you are worried about voiding your warranty.

On the same token- Just because a dealership sells something doesn't mean it automatically is the "right" answer. Those might be 1/2 decent lifts...but the majority of "dealer" installed lifts I've seen- Spacer lifts that cost upwards of $1200 (yes...for a 200-300 dollar max product.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #27
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEtaco View Post
I'd be more interested in how much the stealership wants for something like that!
I remember my local dealership had a Tacoma DC TRD fully loaded and lifted like the one in the pic. It also had a nice cab height shell on it. They wanted $38,000+ sticker.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #28
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
I've talked to dealers and they say if they sell you the truck with the procomp lift they will warranty it up to I think 3" of lift. They also said that if you brought your tacoma in to lift it at the dealer it would not void the warranty up to 3" of lift. What I don't understand is why they would have 4 Wheel Parts lift it and not cover the warranty.

Im pretty sure the wheels are ProComp Wheels
Old 01-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #29
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
nice. how much they hittin for?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #31
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I would argue the bolded part with you. There is NO reason that a highly modified SUSPENSION would negate warranty coverage on the ELECTRICAL system. PAINT/FINISH issues are not effected by aftermarket ENGINE mods.

Read about the Moss Maggnuson Act, lest you make a decision to skip a mod you want because you are worried about voiding your warranty.

On the same token- Just because a dealership sells something doesn't mean it automatically is the "right" answer. Those might be 1/2 decent lifts...but the majority of "dealer" installed lifts I've seen- Spacer lifts that cost upwards of $1200 (yes...for a 200-300 dollar max product.
Lol, the first thing I modded is my stereo [electical], at full volume my current stereo can draw 260 amps continuos. Like all of you, I did something outside of the service bays of Toyota. I just don't expect them to do shit because of this. On the other hand I bought a Tacoma because I don't expect anything to go wrong. AND IT HASN'T.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #32

Furthermore about this subject. This stereo I have that can draw 260 amps of current at full volume continuously should have destroyed my alternator years ago. I installed the biggest Yellow Top Optima battery they make and the alternator on my 05 4cyl {which has a much less current output than the V-6} has been doing fine for 3 years. Quit bashing the dealers when you tear your truck up. I tore mine up the right way and its been fine. lol
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #33
Give 'er
wtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
wtbthree's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
They look like ProComp Series 8188 Wheel - Gloss Black. I'm not sure what the price is as I do not know which one fits the Tacoma but here's a link to the 4wheelparts site of it http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Se...0073&t_pl=9849
Yea those look like the ones, minus the silver accents, thanks for the help
Old 01-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #34
michaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant future

michaelg589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0BlackTaco6 View Post
the dealers cant refuse warranty work unless they prove the aftermarket part caused the need for repair.
Dealerships can refuse anything they want. Dont assume this "rule" will always hold true. They may not be able to prove it, but you can't prove it didnt either.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #35
michaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant future

michaelg589's Tacoma Gallery
Also, to the OP, those trucks that you have pictured are warrantied because the dealership and the mod shop worked out an agreement to do these modifications. The dealer will hold the shop responsible for anything that goes wrong with their work and the dealer will still warranty everything else through Toyota.

Anyone elses mods could have been done by some retard for all they know. So how could they warranty it? The dealer knows who did the mods on those trucks in the pictures and knows they are reputable and they will honor any problem because of whatever contract they arranged.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #36
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
You guys don't get it.

Part of the reason the "Dealer Services International" lift package is so expensive is that they're providing both indemnification (protection against lawsuits) and also warranty coverage on ALL the parts - even the parts that would be voided/questionable on the Toyota warranty as part of the lift.

Don't believe me?

http://www.dealerservicesint.com/warranty
Old 01-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #37
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
One of my buddies just bought a tundra from a dealer with a 6in Pro comp, he likes the shit out of it and it runs good. Came with 35's too
Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #38
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
That Taco looks awesome, the Tundra not so much.

The other night I was thinking, a reg cab 5.7 Tundra with a SAS would be badass..