Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tonneau cover advice needed

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
BLKPSHN2 is on a distinguished road
BLKPSHN2's Tacoma Gallery
Tonneau cover advice needed

Just bought a 2011 Access cab and want to install a soft tonneau bed cover. Are there any that are truly watertight? I prefer those that can give maximum bed access while open but still installed.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
N.GA Taco x3 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
N.GA Taco x3's Tacoma Gallery
soft cover

So many on here love the Access ones, i put one on myself this week, an Access Literider, seems great so far, not sure how watertight as i rarely drive this truck and it's only been on a week, but looks and functions awesome, fantastic price from these folks,

http://www.truckalterations.com/html/tacomaworld.html

Not hard to install, took me about 2 hrs and 4 beers working alone. Many reviews on here, i researched for a week and took these guys' advice on this one and glad i did. So much good info on these forums

Probably the Access LE is the most watertight as it comes with some extra weatherstripping or some such thing, but i think all Access covers are fairly weatherproof.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I have the access literider and I love it. Its not 100% waterproof. a little bit of water trickles in the corners in heavy rain. Not a lot of water though. $280 shipped from truck alterations and took me about 20 minutes to install. My dad bought a literider for his tacoma too after he saw mine lol.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The tailgate is not designed to be watertight. Use tailgate seals in addition to the tonneau. For example:

http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...A3509A0A0.aspx
Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
N.GA Taco x3 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
N.GA Taco x3's Tacoma Gallery
20 minutes Macgyver ? Dang, i coming to Canton with pizza and beer next time i need help with a mod lol.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
Crazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
Crazyfrog's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Access cover and love it. It does let some water in, but I plan on putting the tailgate sealer on once it warms up a bit. Rain isnt too bad, but the carwash gets me every time!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
if i were to get tonneau again, i would a truxedo lo-pro again. great fit and very little leakage in the corners, tail gate seal came with. full access to bed when rolled up and when covered great looks also.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
Crazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
Crazyfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Does the Access allow use of the rails? Do they make one that can be used with a truck toolbox? Meaning, just covers the open area of truck bed up to the truck toolbox? I guess it would be a short one.
The rails are still in use, but IDK about one for a tool box. You would probly have to call them.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Extang Tuff Tonnu and it works great and does not leak. My neighbor has an Access soft cover and it also does not leak. The Access cover seems to fit tighter and flatter over the bed, but the Extang is cheaper.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKPSHN2 View Post
Just bought a 2011 Access cab and want to install a soft tonneau bed cover. Are there any that are truly watertight? I prefer those that can give maximum bed access while open but still installed.
I have a ToughCover and it is not water tight. It's easy to look from inside on a sunny day and see what to do to make it water tight (the gaps in the corners). The tailgate would be harder and considering I take it off fairly frequently (that's why I got it) I'm sure the seals wouldn't last long...especially on the tailgate.

Rain doesn't get in, only car wash water that's side sprayed so it's really not a problem in use. Since I'd much rather it be dust tight and that's a lot harder to get, why bother.

But are you asking what type of cover would be best? Mine is a tri-fold and they are real easy to remove (for full bed access) and reinstall...I'm really not sure how watertight rollups are though.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #12
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure you will find a watertight cover unless you opt for a fiberglass one piece cover that extends over all 4 edges of the bed. I have a Bakflip F1, it is not watertight but leaks very little. I see you live in NJ where the climate is much like it is here in Ohio - Winter - Cold. Everyone I know around here that has a soft cover won't open it in cold weather because it's almost impossible to get closed again (snap or Velcro type closures). I can open my cover in 1/4 bed length increments until all but 3" is fully open. I haven't regretted buying this cover one bit. Take a look http://www.bakliner.com/ shop around for your best price, I believe I paid like $750.00 for mine last year.

Products Discussed in this Thread