Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Strange Configuration...Frankenstein Taco?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Strange Configuration...Frankenstein Taco?

I bought this truck used for $20,500 last week. 2008 PreRunner 24K miles...

I am am not sure what it is. The dealer said the prev owner ordered it as a PreRunner with the TRD package and removed the decals. He did purchase it at the dealership where i bought it and bought a new truck.

What threw me off were the unpainted fender flares. Which is exactly what i wanted!! LOL The dealer said he wanted the unpainted flares (as would I on the silver truck) I thought at first it was a base model.....

The truck is immaculate, All the pieces and parts are there (unusual for a used vehicle) the tiedowns the netting in the center console. the seats were covered. Not a mark anywhere. The guy was anal.....Thankfully I am not and the truck will never look as good as it is now LOL

Okay so here is the list of equipt
All the SR 5 stuff. ,,remote keyless entry, cruise control, variable speed wipers, chrome grille surround & rear bumper, , sliding rear window w/privacy glass, metallic tone I/P, leather-wrapped steering wheel w/audio controls, sunvisors w/mirrors & extenders,
Daytime running lightsIpod hook up

Here is where it gets tricky..seems to have the Off Road TRD package

It has the blue Bilstein shocks, locking rear differential, 16" alloy wheels, P265/70R16 tires, engine skid plate, , 115V/400W pwr outlets, fog lamps, remote keyless entry, cruise control, variable speed wipers,TRD Mats. overhead console w/compass & exterior temp gauge, chrome grille surround & rear bumper, sliding rear window w/privacy glass, sport seats w/driver lumbar support & sport fabric seats, metallic tone I/P, leather-wrapped steering wheel w/audio controls, leather-wrapped shifter, dual visors w/mirrors & extenders..
So apparently one could get a TRD package on an SR5 without painted fender flares if they wanted. I could not find a 2010 or 2011 without color keyed fender flares. Was there a Limited Edition in 08?

I don't care for the painted ones because they did not have the gloss level of the paint and more importantly the less that could get chipped by car doors and crap the better. I like the more "rugged" black and silver look. I wish he installed flay black running boards instead of the Westins
I loved the wheels on my previous Taco below....
I have since sold the toolbox and added an Undercover tonneau since this pic was taken. I also ordered the TRD decals off Ebay and decideing if I want them or not when they get here.

My last Tacoma back in the 90's was a 4WD because I lived in Nevada and there was some really good 4 wheelin there. Here in Myrtle Beach there is little actual need for 4WD and people don't want the extra maintenance and insurance costs, so most trucks here are 2WD Street Home Depot queens.

My last Tacoma (and dog driver)
Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a rear e-locker and Bilstein suspension?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Do you have a rear e-locker and Bilstein suspension?
Yeah Blue shocks..I believe they are the Bilstiens.and the e locker as well...
Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
whatever it is, its a badass truck!!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Off-Road Rugged Trail with different wheels and decals removed?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
sandman29306 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
sandman29306's Tacoma Gallery
I might be wrong, but those wheels are from a first gen. I have the same ones on my 2001 PreRunner DC.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeezy View Post
whatever it is, its a badass truck!!
x2!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The previous owner may have simply swapped the fender flares with those from the base model. Hope it wasn't a collision repair (which may also explain the absence of decals)... The wheels are from a 1st gen. Tacoma ('95-'04).
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzogSS View Post
x2!
x3
Old 01-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog View Post
Yeah Blue shocks..I believe they are the Bilstiens.and the e locker as well...
I'll be damned...Its a special order for sure. Congrats though man...its a tough lookin' truck
Old 01-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman29306 View Post
I might be wrong, but those wheels are from a first gen. I have the same ones on my 2001 PreRunner DC.
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Yup, either that or their from a 4 Runner
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #13
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Throw some black wheels on that sucker and get the Rugged Trail Decals.

Actually, I'm not a big fan of those decals...get Sockmonkey to make ya some custom ones.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
The previous owner may have simply swapped the fender flares with those from the base model. Hope it wasn't a collision repair (which may also explain the absence of decals)... The wheels are from a 1st gen. Tacoma ('95-'04).
Yeah I thought so as well but Carfax was clean and the truck was immaculate and because I would have preferred the same config I thought I may not be alone. Besides if it was wrecked why replace ALL the fender flares (unless it was rolled) LOL..... and not replace the decals?? Why confuse the dealership on a trade....becasue it was purchased there the dealer knew what it was. they said he passed on the TRD wheels and preferred what was on there. Basically debadged the truck of all TRD designation except for the rubber mats. He could have been one of those guys who feels foolish in a 2WD off road TRD.....LOL

It threw me off. Mostly because I wanted to make sure I was paying for the right vehicle. Dealer had it for $22,995 and I ended up paying $20,500 cash OTD which I offered based upon Edmunds (which is lower than KBB) and based upon an SR 5 Pre Runner with the TRD options.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
the wheels have an "S" logo in the center caps. I don't think they are Toyota Stock wheels. I do like them better then the flatter wheels on the new ones. But yeah Black or the wheels from my old Tacoma
Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #16
Your mom goes to college

They're Einkei wheels. Toyota puts those on a lot of their vehicles.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #17
I like ze best!
Rhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rhino8541's Tacoma Gallery
Strange
Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalden2 View Post
TRD Off-Road Rugged Trail with different wheels and decals removed?
BINGO...
I found another after Googling 2008 Rugged trail tacoma..

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL692.../274137907.jpg

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...page=2&t=97382

Apparently it was a package and not a special order....The orginal owner debadged the truck donw to the wheels. I remember the dealer telling me the guy did not want the Toyota black wheels....Damm HIM...I would have kept those.

I feel better now..I got what i paid for and the dealer did not lie about a thing.....
Old 01-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #19
Your mom goes to college

Old 01-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #20
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog View Post
BINGO...
I found another after Googling 2008 Rugged trail tacoma..
http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL692.../274137907.jpg
I can see why the previous owner removed the TRD decal. It's huge!