Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to install a homelink garage opener w/pictures

Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
2010 double cab TRD Sport
El Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shed

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
How to install a homelink garage opener w/pictures

Tired of having my 2 remote controls (one for the gate and one for the garage) laying around the center console or looking for them inside the center console and frustrated with Toyota design that offers a homelink OR a temperature gauge, I guess that for Toyota if you have a garage opener you don't have to worry if it's hot or cold outside , anyway. I went to ebay and got an used rolling code garage opener.
this one:

took the front out

removed the overhead console

looked for the best place to install it, I wanted it exposed, but I couldn't, it was going to be to far toward the center of the roof. So I settle to install it behind the sunvisor, marked with pen

cut the opening with a razor nife

clipped the front of the remote back in place

pigged tail the power from the overhead light (the smallest plug)

and that's it

PS: YOU MAY WANT TO TRY THIS:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...k-install.html

IT REQUIERES MORE WORK BUT IT LOOKS AND PERFORMS WAY BETTER.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Nice...i like that location.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
El Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shed

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, it's not ideal but because of the design of the transmiter and not enough flat space above the liner I couldn't install it in a perfect place
Old 01-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice!! I bought the same thng, but I was going to install it b/w the map lights. Too bad the area had too much plastic in the way for me to mount it tight enough for me to get the buttons to work!!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
I ain't got time to bleed
Blain has a spectacular aura aboutBlain has a spectacular aura aboutBlain has a spectacular aura about
Blain's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just install a Gentex rearview mirror? This would keep you from having to cut your headliner.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #6

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blain View Post
Why not just install a Gentex rearview mirror? This would keep you from having to cut your headliner.
Because this cost me $15
Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #7

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linwoodm View Post
Very nice!! I bought the same thng, but I was going to install it b/w the map lights. Too bad the area had too much plastic in the way for me to mount it tight enough for me to get the buttons to work!!!!
Yea, I know what you are saying, The other way you can do it it's remotely.
I did it in my bike.
You can get a push switch and connect the wires to the push switch on the remote control and hide the remote control somewere. I don't have time for that, this was easier and faster for me.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
What wires did u connect 2
Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
RichardTRD will become famous soon enough

Name: Richard
RichardTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice. I need one of those too!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #10

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaCoULuV2Hate View Post
What wires did u connect 2
It's super easy and all you need is a soldering gun, fine solder, wire & a button. Here's the button I got from Radio Shack for a couple bucks:

Simply take apart your garage door remote, find the (usually) four solder points on the back of the remote for the button. Having already attached the wire to the new button, touch the other end of the wire to two solder points on the remote at a time until the new button works. I've found on the two that I've done that they're diagonal from each other. Solder the wire onto the remote. Drill a hole in the knockout. Insert the button into the hole. Hide the reassembled garage door remote up under your dash somewhere. You're all set.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
SURFTACO will become famous soon enough

Name: Steve
SURFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, all I did with my remote was get the 3M velcro (usually comes with ez pass) and put it inside my arm rest. Theres just enough space for it on the inside edge...it works great i think..nice write up
Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #13

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Update, I just finish installing an X10 set up, so now with the 3rd button I can turn on the light of my back porch.

Love this place
http://www.x10.com/home2.html
Old 01-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
Pizzajon is on a distinguished road

Name: Jon
Pizzajon's Tacoma Gallery
dude, that link to X10 is the worst web page I've ever been on!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #15

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzajon View Post
dude, that link to X10 is the worst web page I've ever been on!
Lol... sorry, They even have a space at the bottom of the page saying:
Do you like our new homepage? Tell us what you think! Brutal honesty, don't hold back
And a place to leave your feedback.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #16
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would go this route except they don't have a mirror with homelink, auto dim, and backup camera monitor.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
Andretti is a splendid one to beholdAndretti is a splendid one to beholdAndretti is a splendid one to beholdAndretti is a splendid one to beholdAndretti is a splendid one to beholdAndretti is a splendid one to behold
Andretti's Tacoma Gallery
I did this exact mod to my 2006 mustang a few years ago. Matching the interior was incredibly easy since it was black...all I had to do was find a black homelink, and wire it up (though there was some modification needed to the way it mounted).

I only recently purchased my 2009 Toyota Tacoma extended cab 4X4 (a week ago yesterday). The exterior is "Magnetic Gray Metallic". I'm not sure what I'd call the color of the interior except gray as well (I may be mistaken(?), but I'm pretty sure the dealer told me there are only two colors for the SR5 interiors tan and gray and mine most definately is not tan).

I'm curious if the OP or anyone else can comment on what color for the homelink best blends in with the interior color. If posting a pic of my interior would help, I'd be glad to do it. I'm not looking for an exact match, but close would be nice. Of course, since there is black accents on the dash anyway, I may just end up going that route. But since I figured many have done this mod, asking the color question might be something easily answered by someone who's already done this. I'd rather avoid doing something that would obviously stick out.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Also, can you expand on which wires you used to power and ground the homelink and does it have any 'issues'? My mod on the mustang works awesome with the homelink, BUT it has no power when the cabin lights are on. Once the doors to the car are closed (and the lights dim to offf), then it draws enough power to run it and let it work fine, but if the interior light is on, it doesnt work (which actually has been no problem, but I'd like to be aware of any situation from the start).

Andretti
Old 04-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #18
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
I would go this route except they don't have a mirror with homelink, auto dim, and backup camera monitor.
They do, it's #50-GENK3545 MSRP $729.00
Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #19

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
They do, it's #50-GENK3545 MSRP $729.00
waaaaaay to expensive
Old 04-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #20
Andretti is a splendid one to beholdAndretti is a splendid one to beholdAndretti is a splendid one to beholdAndretti is a splendid one to beholdAndretti is a splendid one to beholdAndretti is a splendid one to behold
Andretti's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, spending that much just isn't an option for me when I know I can do the homelink mod for so much less and be just as happy.

I finished mine a week or so ago. I located mine in a slightly different location. I'll see if I can get outside today with a camera to post a pic. It isn't 100% perfect, but I'm satisfied enough not to feel the need to spend any more time on it at this point.

Andretti