Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

General Grabber AT2 P-Rated tires SUCK.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
General Grabber AT2 P-Rated tires SUCK.

I got these tires for my 18" Monsters because I didn't want the Load E BFG AT's. I knew these tires were more at risk for off-road punctures but this takes the cake.

I was going down a gravel road, probably 1-2kms long and doing 20-40kph. I got back to pavement, and 5min later stopped at a store to hear a hissing. I found a rock punctured a tire, right in between the threads. It was sticking out perhaps 1/4". It looked like the rock had cracked off. Three months with these tires with little off-roading and already punctured one. I had BFG AT's on my old 03, 2 sets, and never punctured them and I went over large sharp rocks, glass, brushed rocks on the sidewalls, etc. No issues.

I attached a pic of the rock....the pen is a Bic pen. The bottom half of that rock (left to right in pic = top to bottom) was in rubber. So there isn't much rubber there at all. I had a local garage put a plug in it for me.

Oh well, live and learn.
Attached Thumbnails
General Grabber AT2 P-Rated tires SUCK.-img_0419-1-.jpg  
Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
TacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Sean
TacoVerde's Tacoma Gallery
thats insane, imagine what some broken glass would do.

I guess i'll scratch those off possible tire options
Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
why would you go with p rated on a truck? only person i know who would do that is...toyota
Old 01-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
VancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud of

VancityCK's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, they sound as bad as the stock rugged FAILS. I had one puncture from a twig! No word of a lie, it was a small enough twig that it only took one tire plug to fix, but it was apparently a million times stronger than rugged fail tires.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=malander;2586707]why would you go with p rated on a truck?

Because the truck only weighs 4000lbs.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
I have these tires and love them. Haven't had an issue and are great in snow.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

[QUOTE=travelingman;2586773]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
why would you go with p rated on a truck?

Because the truck only weighs 4000lbs.
but if you're going to lift it and throw new tires on it to make it more capable and overall stronger off road why put p rated tires on it? on the trail or in this case fire roads it should be known that there will be minor "tire hazards" and when upgrading from stock tires that should be taken into account. not trying to be a douche or anything just my two cents
Old 01-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=malander;2586814]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post

but if you're going to lift it and throw new tires on it to make it more capable and overall stronger off road why put p rated tires on it? on the trail or in this case fire roads it should be known that there will be minor "tire hazards" and when upgrading from stock tires that should be taken into account. not trying to be a douche or anything just my two cents

It seemed you were questioning why Toyota did it.Just my two cents.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #10

nah im sure they did it for cost and gas mileage reasons. hell even the raptor comes with rugged trails although im sure their rated to carry much more weight
Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
I got the tires for 2 reasons:

1) the 265/70r18 would not rub against the UCA's with the 18mm offset rim. I have 1/2" space to spare it seems

2) with load E tires, I didn't want the ride of a dump truck. There's no such thing as Loaf C with BFG or General for a 18" rim
Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
nah im sure they did it for cost and gas mileage reasons. hell even the raptor comes with rugged trails although im sure their rated to carry much more weight
The Raptor comes equipped with BFG All Terrain T/A's, not Rugged Trails.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
I have these tires and love them. Haven't had an issue and are great in snow.
I had these on my last 05 in 265/70/16 and absolutely loved them. After 30k miles they still looked new when I sold the truck and they were awesome in the snow. I'll probably put another set on my "new" double cab when the rugged trails wear out. Chances are that rock was a lot larger to have enough force to puncture the tire. Should be just fine now that it's plugged. You got unlucky, tomorrow will be a better day.