1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

17x8 wheel vs 17x9 wheel regarding tire rub

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by T.J., Jan 11, 2011.

1. Jan 11, 2011 at 1:30 AM
    T.J.

T.J. [OP] Taco Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North Port, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 V6
    Century Truck Topper, custom made "Batman" center caps, satoshi mod (Thanks tons, TY!), Hella 500 grille lights, painted radio, climate control, and radio surround panels, painted rear bumper
    In researching lifts for the truck, I was told that with a 3" lift (not a spacer lift) I could get the 285/70/17's up front with little to no rubbing issues if my wheel was a 17x8. It was suggested by this source that I may have trouble with rubbing (presumably at full turn) if I went with the same size tire on my 17x9 wheel. Back spacing is 4.5 on my 17x9 wheels. Thoughts?

I may just be overthinking (or underthinking?) this, but if the wheel width is an inch wider between the 2 but the same size tire is mounted on it, would it really matter? I'm guessing it would have more to do with back spacing and offset. As of this post i haven't checked to see if there is a difference between the 17x8 and 17x9 wheel, but thought I'd ask anyway since I'm a little lazy to look that up :D

I have the KMC Addicts in 17x9.

Products Discussed in

To Top