1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

iPad In-Dash DIY/Build Thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kelson, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Jan 28, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    787tester

787tester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Everett, wa
    Vehicle:
    11 double cab trd long bed
    Somehow I feel I have missed something. When you remove your audio system to mount the iPad, where then do you get the amplification needed to use the iPad with the existing speaker system of the truck? Does the audio system have a separate amp and our stereo systems are really just a source for that amp? Sorry if this has been covered before and I missed it.

2. Jan 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    Hayes

Hayes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab Tacoma 4x4
    You need to connect it to an amp. Generally you can do a 3.5 mm to RCA jack, but there is a product that connects the 30 pin output to the amp so you can charge at the same time.

3. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    BPachom

BPachom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5, 4cyl 4X4, Black
    Access roll-up tonneau cover, Factory radio W/Sirius, Tailgate clamp, HID head lights, Stainless nerf bars.
    SDIVER2006 likes this.
  4. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    BPachom

BPachom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5, 4cyl 4X4, Black
    Access roll-up tonneau cover, Factory radio W/Sirius, Tailgate clamp, HID head lights, Stainless nerf bars.
    Looks good! :cheers:
    So, is your mod complete now? Any update pics?

5. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
  6. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    hakabo

hakabo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 urban runner 4x4
    this looks awesome. where are the finished pics?

7. Sep 10, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been thinking of doing something like that. I wouldn't touch iCrap with a 10 foot pole, but the idea would be the same.

I've been looking into something that isn't as... large. Maybe a 7" that could be attached behind a 2-din face. The big issues I see with a tablet is regarding speaker hookups. Tablets do have audio outputs, but they require some kind of external amplifier to drive car speakers. They are also somewhat limited in terms of control -- requiring that you are able to access the physical buttons on the device itself, and not being trivial to have turn on and off with the vehicle ignition. Also the inability to hook up with an AM/FM receiver, chipset receivers are weak and FM only. I use primarily AM radio. Finally, of course, bluetooth. Though many tablets have bluetooth chips, the software is generally configured so that you would attach a bluetooth headset to it, rather than have it "be" the bluetooth headset. I would obviously like to have the tablet operate as a bluetooth interface for a cell phone. Capacitive touchscreens are also less than idea for being poked. They require an electrical curcuit, so operate best when you are holding them in the same hands that are poking at them. Resistive or preferably infrared, are much better for this application.

In the end, I'm finding that tablets are just too limited for this application. So I'm looking instead to do a more thoroughly custom job with an HDMI screen and a moderate-to-high performance multi-core ARM chip that will happily run the latest Android.

So I'm thinking of going with something like this;
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Samsun...Cams_Kits&hash=item1c2a0da47c#ht_15997wt_1163
    (although a screen with a higher resolution than 800x480 would be nice... a 9" 1080p would be awesome.)

Along with something similar to this;
    http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/uhost-u1a/uhost-u1a-specs-images-2539.html

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Feb 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM
    Clifford

Clifford Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    low and slow
    Tree Air Freshener
    You ever finish this up?

9. Feb 10, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    killianeric

killianeric Well-Known Member

Member:
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    2007 Bass Model Tacoma
    I've posted this in a few other threads but some people on this one were saying it looks like crap when the iPad isn't in there. My brother and a employee built a piece where iPad slides in and out of. The front piece started out as a 1.5 inch piece of plexiglass, they cut it and rounded it to sit flush with the dash. Its backed a black piece of plexiglass, so the iPad looks like its in there even when its not. It fits nice and snug in there so it doesn't rattle. Right now they are working a motorized thing that will push the piece that the iPad sits in in and out, so we don't have to manually pull the piece out.

I took this picture a while ago and now that I look at it I don't even think the iPad is in there hahah. I didn't check when I took picture, so it might be in there or it might not, I don't remember.
    [​IMG]
    Heres one with the iPad on
    [​IMG]

10. Feb 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM
    Clifford

Clifford Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    low and slow
    Tree Air Freshener
    I like how your's is concaved in like that, I might do something like that if my set up ever starts to crack.

Products Discussed in

To Top