Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Another steering wheel shaking thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Another steering wheel shaking thread

I just got back my 09 DC from getting the 15K mile service, as well as getting the new TPMS calibrated to my truck (FJ wheels on BFG ATs). Going in to the shop the truck ran well - stock up front suspension, the TSB AAL and a 1.5" AAL in back.

Now, coming out, the truck rides well still. But starting at about 50mph, the steering wheel shakes. Not constantly. Like, a second on, and a second off. When shaking the steering wheel can be visibly seen to vibrate about 1/2 inch. Then it settles. Then starts. Then settles. It's not similar to a flat or out of balance tire (which were fine going in). The truck doesn't drift or really behave any differently. No funky sounds.

I'm taking it in on Saturday for them to fix whatever the jacked up. I'm pretty sure that, due to the intermittent nature, it's not the alignment or balance.

Ideas?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Except, at 60mph, that wheel is spinning so fast that the wobble would be constant.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Uh, nope. I guess I can do that.

Tire pressure 34 PSI in all four (cold pressure)
Old 01-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Problem solved. Apparently the rear wheels were OK in the rear, but up front were out of whack.

So, apparently I'm mistaken about having an intermittent whobble with wheels. Who knew?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
PA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nice

Army:
PA452's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Problem solved. Apparently the rear wheels were OK in the rear, but up front were out of whack.

So, apparently I'm mistaken about having an intermittent whobble with wheels. Who knew?
So what was out of whack with the front? Balance?