1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help with TRD vs SR5 in Wa!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MrTaco, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Apr 24, 2007 at 10:52 AM
    MrTaco

MrTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello All,
    Long time reader, first time writer. After 170k miles I'm thinking it may be time for me to upgrade my 2000 Corolla. I've just started doing some home remodeling and we are building a couple of houses in the next year. From everything I've read the Tacoma is definetly the choice for me. It'll be used for: 70% commuting, 30% Hauling/heavy work. That being said I am debating between the SR5 or TRD packages. I've read that the TRD package is a very "jumpy" ride. As minor as it may seem I really like the hood scoop in the TRD. It gives it a very aggressive look that I think seperates it from other trucks. The best price I've recieved for a 07 4x4 Access Cab TRD has been $27K. How does this fair with the rest of the country? Thanks for your help. I take into account the opinions of many tacomaworld members when making my decisions...

2. Apr 24, 2007 at 11:06 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    First things first - if you are going to be doing (any%) hauling, get the V6. The V6 has extremely good MPG for its size/capabilities.

Second - $27K is about right for a loaded AccessCab, but may I suggest getting the DoubleCab if you ever haul more than just yourself. (Side note: I have an AccessCab, but it is just for my wife and I + 2 dogs)

Also - if you like the hood scoop, then the TRD Sport is the way to go.

The SR5 has a ton of what I consider "necessity items". These include Cruise, Power windows/locks, and security tint on the back windows. It also adds some features that my wife likes - Color Keyed bumper, Color Keyed fender flares, Chrome rear bumper, and Chrome grill edge...

I got what my budget could afford (and I went for the "more economical" 4 cylinder engine). That is why I have a SR5 instead of a TRD Sport or a TRD Off-Road.

The TRDs are great trucks, but, if you are trying to save some money (~$1000) and you don't mind loosing your hood scoop, then go with the SR5.

Personally, I think you will be happier with a TRD Sport 4x4 DoubleCab Long Bed. That truck will do anything ;), but fit in a small parking spot. :eek:

3. Apr 24, 2007 at 11:07 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    BTW - SHOP AROUND! Make a dealership/website/seller EARN your business. You are the one with the money. They want your money more than you want the truck. ;)

4. Apr 24, 2007 at 11:15 AM
    MrTaco

MrTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info 007. I think that the V6 TRD is the way to go. The only concern I had was that the ride may be a little stiff for everyday commuting. I'm going to try and get the best deal online or through costco. Unlike many other parts of the country many Toyo dealers here won't budge from the MSRP. Especially on the new Taco/Tundras. They are very popular up here.

5. Apr 24, 2007 at 11:22 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    You may want to look at ordering one online, going to a wholesaler like Costco, or go to a local fleet dealer. These routes can save you up to ~$4000 (according to experience of other TW members).

As for the ride, I love the way my SR5 rides, but it is also a PreRunner, so it has 4x4 suspension. I do 95% highway driving with the occasional, "CRAP, I have to drive through that!!!". I think the SR5 suspension has saved my rear in some not so cushy situations, but it isn't really made for offroad. The base model rides like a car because the frame is so solid. I think you will enjoy the truck no matter what route you go! ;) The TRD Sports are quite a bit tighter on the suspension, but if you go with a DoubleCab I would definitely go TRD.

In any case, whatever route you go, good luck!!!

6. Apr 24, 2007 at 2:05 PM
    sak3358

sak3358 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the TRD Sport Double Cab. Love it. The ride I find is acceptable....but what is unacceptable? I have the 4x2, with no regrets. I hold onto vehicles for a long time so I spent the extra for the extras. Collectively I drive 26 miles a day for work, so the mileage issues were not the biggest factor in my decision. This last weekend I loaded it up with 20 bags of mulch and other assorted yard trinkets from Lowes. Never so happy....this was the reason I purchased it in the first place (other than towing the motorcycle on long trips). Shop around, do the internet pricing through several dealers, take your time. Welcome to the forum!

7. Apr 24, 2007 at 2:34 PM
    Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Member:
    The only way to get the hood scoop is with the TRD Sport. There is a difference between the TRD package and the TRD Sport Package. Also, you can get the SR5 and TRD Sport together. SR5 is just an added package. If you go on their site it will list what all comes in the SR5 package, has nothing to do with it being TRD. I have an 07 double cab 4x4 TRD Sport SR5.

8. Apr 24, 2007 at 6:38 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Hi welcome to the forum. I bought a leftover 06 in March 07 after selling my Tundra. Absolutely happy with my TACOMA. It's a Double Cab 4WD SR5. I would have liked the Off Road TRD but the 06's price & Toyota's 2.9 financing was too good to pass up and as you have said about haggling, the same goes where I'm from on the 07's. Not many Tacomas stick around on the lots here in VT. Sooo...go with whatcha want and keep us tuned to what you buy.

9. Apr 25, 2007 at 11:29 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I have the TRD off road pkg and love it. I've had several people comment on the ride quality, it basically rides like a car. When researching the tacoma i found some complaints from car and drivers 40k mile test about the factory suspension getting loose and making some noise. I definately recomend the TRD. Also, the price you're getting is a little steep. I have TRD, 4door, 4x4 with the SR5 and i paid %27,000 out the door. Just play some of the local dealers against each other and be patient. Another tactic is one my dad did when buying a new car. He searched for every high output dealer within a 300 mile radius and sent out one mass email to all of them, stating what he wanted, how much he was willing to pay and not to waste his time with counter offers. Eventually a dealer contacted him and sold him his xterra at cost just to make his numbers for the month. The guy made no profit on the deal but won a vacation or something like that. Anyway, dealers will come down on price if you are firm and let them know that you are in charge. You WANT the truck but the NEED your money.

10. Apr 25, 2007 at 12:11 PM
    sak3358

Member:
    Well said ND. That is basically how I handled my deal. 98% was internet. Yesterday I got a call from the dealer asking me to come in and sign a document they forgot to have me sign. After signing, just because you don't know until you ask, I asked for the truck to be washed. After some tap dancing about the manager and having to ask, I prompted "fine lets do it". 30 minutes later It comes back all nice and clean.....but wait....the best part.....I check the gas gauge and notice it's full. I went in with a 1/4 tank and left with a clean truck and a full tank......all you do is have to ask. Made my day.

11. Apr 25, 2007 at 11:46 PM
    MrTaco

MrTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the help everyone. Seems like there are alot of DC owners on this site. Don't see much of the access cabs around... I'm single, don't plan on a family anytime soon, and like the look of the access cab. (also don't want to be driving people around) Any reason in particular you all go for the DCs? I'm gonna meet with the costco dealer in a couple of weeks. If I get a fair deal I'll pull the trigger. While I'm at it does anyone have any options that are a "Must Have"? Outlet in the bed was really big for me and the TRD package should take care of that.

12. Apr 26, 2007 at 3:56 AM
    sak3358

Member:
    Years ago I had the HiLux AC. One thing I recall was never having enough storage room. It's just the wife and myself now, so I could have gone with the AC, but I decided have the extra space available. Until I get a bed cover....that extra space comes in handy when its raining, I don't have to worry about luggage getting soaked while heading to the airport. Just my
    [​IMG]

13. Oct 8, 2009 at 12:18 PM
    jterango

jterango Dr. Bronzbak

Member:
    eastern wv
    Vehicle:
    d-cab off road
    bed mat,access cover
    i just ordered a new 2010 trd off road 4x4 d cab short bed.. the dealer and i are friends and he said i could have it for invoice... $28 k and some change was the price,out the door was right around 30k. i checked another dealer just to be sure and they wouldnt go that low..my cousin works for toyota and his discount is invoice,so i thought i got a decent deal.. lately i have heard the costco and sams club can get them $200 below invoice.. not really concerned with the $200 but fount that interesting.. think i got a decent deal??

14. Oct 8, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    invoice for the 2010's is 28k! invoice for my truck in 07 was just over 26k i think. i paid 27k otd including tax tags and title and i got everything except the 6disk changer. either prices have skyrocketed (which i doubt with teh economy sucking) or you didn't really pay invoice

15. Oct 8, 2009 at 1:26 PM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    Go grab a DC long bed. It's the only way you'll remotely fit the stuff you'll need for building. Even if you don't use the back seat for passengers, it's just the right size for rubbermaid's roughtotes when the bases are folded forward. Assuming that you plan to build between October and May, it'll be really handy for keeping your tools dry.

Also, the "Super Long Wheelbase" (Toyota's words) has a very comfy commuting ride. I've put on 12k miles in five months in mine running around Portland and Oregon without getting beat up.

As for pricing, the Tacos tend to carry ridiculous resale prices, especially in the Northwest. If you have for a 2009 or 2010, you'll get stability control standard. Given the lightness of the rears on trucks, this is a real butt-saver when the snow comes, or just for the rainy season. I got my 2009 DC LB SR5 with JBL for $27.8k OTD in Beaverton, but I'm also not paying Washington State's 10% sales tax.

Good luck, and you are on the right path.

16. Oct 8, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman.

17. Oct 8, 2009 at 1:31 PM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    Didn't even notice the date of the OP. hahaha....

Products Discussed in

To Top