1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Preventing vehicle theft

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Johns Taco, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Jan 15, 2011 at 1:03 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    ha ha ha! you're right, its the same why when my truck is wrecked, no matter how well its repaired, I just don't want it anymore, same way my ex wife cheated on me and then wanted me back.

2. Jan 15, 2011 at 1:04 AM
    Yota Newb

Yota Newb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-Lug Regular Cab 2.7L 5 Speed
    This is a possibility. Odds are if someone steals a brand new truck, they know what they are doing. Trucks like Tacoma's, Silverado's, and F150's are so popular they are hot on "chop-shop" lists. Sad reality is that usually within 24 hours your truck is already in several different pieces, if not places.
    Buddy of mine's dad's F150 was stolen a couple years ago, all they ever found was his plate....on an a different truck with an illegal driving it. It was stolen out of a nice quiet neighborhood. Insurance replaced it.

While I would be pissed if someone stole my truck, I am not going to go out of my way to prevent a theft. I always lock my doors and park in the best place possible. I'm not going to worry about traps/cameras/clubs/kill switches/ etc...

3. Jan 15, 2011 at 1:16 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Same here. I just lock it up and hope for the best. We just had a taco taken here on this forum a few months ago where the guy was at the movies. I think his was taken with a wrecker. That was a really nice truck too. Not sure if he ever got it back.

I hope if mine does get taken, I hope dont come back, if it does i will trade it.

4. Jan 15, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    JTanner

JTanner Misplaced Texan

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR MGM
    stock..for now

THIS.:)

5. Jan 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    NoMallCrawlTaco

NoMallCrawlTaco © "HELL FUCK YEAH!" © COPYRIGHT FOR MY PROTECTION!

Member:
    Arizona
    4" Camburgs Icon AAL 3 Pac BLHM Tacoshi Grill More to come...
    I was just at a pancake breakfast here and two LITTLE BRO-TARD SHITS stole my TOYOTA receiver hitch cover.

FUCK I HATE THIEVES!

6. Jan 15, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    x2

A family member had a two week old 4runner stolen. It was found a few weeks later up a 4wd trail in orange county, CA. The thieves got it high centered, tore up the front drive system trying to get out, beat the crap out of the sides of the truck, threw rocks through the windows, fubared the dash trying to get the stereo out of it........you guessed it, insurance fixed it up and he got his truck back. Never really was like a new truck again. :mad:

7. Jan 15, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    GPS is a good idea. The problem with those little chip kill switches is that once you follow the wires back to the factory harness, you just splice the wires back together and drive away. Better to do your own setup and hide the switch well. They can still find it and bypass it, but if you cost them enough time they might give up and leave.

8. Jan 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    SmokeEater

SmokeEater Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JOHNNY
    Potomac Falls, VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TACOMA
    K&N Drop-in Painted grill New TRD center caps & other little things here and there......
    I had one of these under the hood in my old truck when I worked down in DC. Worked great for auto theft but you do have to reset some radio stations if its off too long.

Works great, though... and cheap! Some of these are 20/30 bucks.

[​IMG]

9. Jan 15, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    I have never seen any vehicle taken when they used a kill switch. The wires could be spliced but the ones I have installed have five wires, so it is a guessing game as well as too time consuming. If the vehicle can't be taken in under two minutes then they will move on to an easier one like most Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth or Jeep products.

10. Jan 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    intrudn86

intrudn86 Active Member

Member:
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd Mostly Stock
    I use Full coverage Auto Insurance. If someone wants it, that's cool... my insurance will cover the replacement cost.

11. Jan 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    again not needed in the new cars.. but its instant trip meter reset in these things. Comes down to the three Ts tools time and talent.
    To steal a tacoma without a tow truck, you'll need a new ignition ecu, a transponder to match it, and hot wiring the ignition, as well as any breaking in you need to do. Knocks out just about all 3 of those Ts for anyone but the most skilled and experienced professional thieves or someone that really wants YOUR truck. in which case, they might out to break in to your house and find your spare and steal your truck from work or whatever before you can figure it out. I hear that there are faults with some of the transponder only cars (push button starters) where one can plug a laptop into the car and get it started fairly quickly.

We had people going to the gym on hickam afb around here and stealing keys from the little personal effects cubbies. Go out to the parking lot, click the clicker till they'd see lights flash and drive off. other than motorcycles I haven't personally seen any news or known anyone that has had their car stolen with a tow truck or similar in the US, just see articles warning that it does/can.

12. Jan 15, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    lepedog23

lepedog23 Taco Rookie

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Huntington Park
    Vehicle:
    Wrecked 2002 4Runner 4x4 trying to rebuild ***Sold2001 DC Tacoma. Stock. Salvage Title MOD.
    Wrecked 2002 4Runner 4x4 ***Sold 2001 Tacoma, Salvage Title MOD. ***Sold 2010 Tacoma doublecab prerunner

x2..... take mine... ill buy another one...

13. Jan 15, 2011 at 10:36 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Can you do a write up of how to wire this thing?

14. Jan 16, 2011 at 12:44 AM
    BartStar

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    didn't you see the movies where someone steals a car, and they pull the wires out from under the dash and they make it look soooo easy

15. Jan 16, 2011 at 12:48 AM
    BartStar

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    I agree, I hate thieves too, but you know whats sad? That kid that robbed your hitch will take it home and his mommy and daddy will see it and they won't say nothing!
    A good responsible parent will ask their child where did they get that hitch, and figure out they robbed it and punish the child.

16. Jan 16, 2011 at 1:16 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah

:thumbsup:

17. Jan 16, 2011 at 2:07 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.

Only if the vehicle is not located in 30 days.

18. Jan 16, 2011 at 4:24 AM
    southpier

southpier Well-Known Member

Member:

gotta admit, the advice is worth what you paid for it

19. Jan 16, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    Plugging in laptops is another one of those urban myths. The laptop they stole the day before they took to the pawn shop. Most of the car thiefs can't even type. Tow truck theft is very common here in the DC area and is the only way to take the high end vehicles if you don't have a key. Any of these systems can be defeated with time and money, but it is not worth the effort unless it is a Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity, BMW etc. The increase in carjackings started when transponders came around in 1999-2000 because the they needed a key to take the car. There is no such thing as hot wiring an ignition any more except on commercial trucks and some 1970-80's vehicles. You need to mechanically defeat the ignition in order to unlock the steering, and electrically defeat the transponder. It is possible to do both, but not in your driveway, the mall parking lot, or while you are in a restaurant or movie. It would take several hours, and more than 1K in parts, and the knowledge. We had a BMW taken here, (not mine), it was towed, (video surveillance), and then the vehicle was hidden, new ignition, key, transponder, and revinned and then sold to an unsuspecting buyer who thought they got a 30000. vehicle for 20000. Great deal until he took it to Arlington BMW to have the oil changed and they check the VIN from the ECU and it did not match the windshield VIN. The police were called and the new owners vehicle was impounded and he was out 20000. This is a very rare occurance and involves a sophisticated, educated perp with mechanical and electrical skills which is like finding a viable presidential candidate that did not graduate high school. Like Island808 said, they will just take your keys. Up here they will drive it until it is out of gas and go find another of the same vehicle, and they are not transponder vehicles they are taking. Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Intrepid, Jeep Liberty, Dodge Stratus, and the GMC/Chevy products with the MRD ignition are the most commonly stolen here. We have had one Tacoma taken in all of 2010 and without question a tow truck was used as the owner had all of the keys.

20. Jan 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    I just thought of something for the truly paranoid.

Leave the car in 4wd in gear with the parking brake on when parked. If they're stealing it with a tow truck they'll have a hard time. They'll likely break your truck, but not steal it, or at least very far.

I assume these fancy girly auto 4x4s will stay engaged with the ignition off.

As for the laptop, I was reading that there were at least 1 or 2 cars where it was actually a noted problem. Thought it was from a reputable source, but who knows where they got their info. Anyone that bothers to live in DC expects crime on a daily basis and should be ready for it. I think I'd feel more comfortable in Juarez. That's a metropolitan area in need of some no nonsense governing. What other city would elect Marion Barry much less revere him. Its like they revel in their own filth. Probably rubbing off from the federal employees.

Products Discussed in

To Top