Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is it fair to get charged the extra for a truck that is lifted?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #1
kauairandall is on a distinguished road
Name: randall
kauairandall's Tacoma Gallery
Is it fair to get charged the extra for a truck that is lifted?

so i read up on the tsb for the 06 tacoma timing cover leak.. i noticed my timing cover leaking really slow now with the odo reading 47000 miles.. toyota will cover the repair because it falls under warranty, but i will be charged a $125.20 fee for my truck being lifted because " the mechanic may need additional time doing the repair" . me: " but all of your mechanics are like 6' or taller?" lol
Old 01-13-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
jking3002 is on a distinguished road

Army: USAG Fort Knox
Name: Jonathan
jking3002's Tacoma Gallery
No a lift should only get you charged more if the work is effected by the lift. Like a suspension tsb.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I would insist that the service manager go over the repair procedure in detail with me and show me exactly what "extra work" would have to be done.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
The truck is taller so it's gonna take longer. Bullshit, take it to a different dealer. That's just robbin you to make up for them getting less for warranty work. If they don't like doing warranty work then they can take that up with the quality control dept at the factory. It's not consumer's responsibility to make up for shitty assembly practices, it's the dealership's responsibility to take care of legit warranty issues for consumers.

edit - Sorry, noticed OP is in HI, might not be too many choices in dealerships. Please make the above points with them.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauairandall View Post
..." the mechanic may need additional time doing the repair" ...
Charging you for the POSSIBILITY something might happen? That's just crazy.

Tell him thanks for the warning, but when you pick it up he'll have the opportunity to tell you the actual time taken vs. book time for the job and exactly how being lifted made it take longer. You can discuss the cost it should be then.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:36 AM   #6
© "HELL FUCK YEAH!" © COPYRIGHT FOR MY PROTECTION!
NoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
NoMallCrawlTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Bullshit! Lies!

Tell them to stick it up their asses and that you are reporting their shady tactics to the BBB, Better, Business, Bueara
Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #7
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
I think I would call around and see what the other stealerships cost to perform the TSB. Once you find a dealer that will do it legit I would call these clowns back and let them know you took your business somewhere else because of their shady BS.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
Once you find a dealer that will do it legit I would call these clowns back and let them know you took your business somewhere else because of their shady BS.
OP may not have too many options for different dealerships, he's in Hawaii.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
lol.. yeah in hawaii theres not too much.. especially living on a smaller island in hawaii, there's only one toyota service department.. but that's what they said , "the repair may take longer, and the mechanic may request extra time for the repair being that my truck is obviously lifted 6", so i may be paying the $120.25 out of my own pocket. should i argue my point before the repair? or after...? lol i really dont want to pay the 120$
Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauairandall View Post
lol.. yeah in hawaii theres not too much.. especially living on a smaller island in hawaii, there's only one toyota service department.. but that's what they said , "the repair may take longer, and the mechanic may request extra time for the repair being that my truck is obviously lifted 6", so i may be paying the $120.25 out of my own pocket. should i argue my point before the repair? or after...? lol i really dont want to pay the 120$
If you don't argue it before, you can probably expect you WILL be paying it after. If your lift really does interfere you should pay, but if the tech sees he has more than book time for a job he'll use it even if he doesn't need it. It's only human nature.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
its probably not the height thats the issue...the mechanic probably has a big gut,so when hes bent under the hood and smashing his belly,its gonna be hard for him to breathe,so i would guess the 125 bucks are for oxygen equipment.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
Grande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really nice

Name: John
Grande's Tacoma Gallery
bs, complete bs..................just bcuz its lifted????? tell them to go sit on thier thumb if they arent already.....

Its not like ur suspension has more stuff in the way now to get it done, then there was when it was stock.....other maybe than the drop diff...but what else
Old 01-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
JordanPierce is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
JordanPierce's Tacoma Gallery
one word............ AGREED

thats bs
Old 01-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #16
Thucker is on a distinguished road
Thucker's Tacoma Gallery
You shouldn't have to pay any fees because the two things are completely unrelated. Warranty work should not cost the vehicle owner anything out of pocket. Tell them to give Toyota a call and have Toyota provide documentation that they can charge extra for warranty work if the vehicle has been lifted. They know this would never fly with Toyota.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #17
lol.. thats what i said.. and the toyota mechanics here are tall.. no joke.. shortes one is 6' tall... i dont understand. its not like they're gonna step up on a stool or something to get the work done.. if anything it would be less stress for them not to bend over that low.. i would think..
Old 01-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #19
07TaCo07 is on a distinguished road
07TaCo07's Tacoma Gallery
I just got that tsb done and my truck in lifted 6 and no extra charge
Old 01-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #20
have'nt had it worked on yet.. i'm guessing toyota is setting up a day for one of the mechanics to get mentally ready to work on it lol.. its supposed to be a 9 hour job. if they do take longer than that i want a courtesy vehicle. lol