Poor Man's Recovery Shackle "Hitch Mount" - under $25

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Reppin UWYO
A7XT will become famous soon enoughA7XT will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
A7XT's Tacoma Gallery
Poor Man's Recovery Shackle "Hitch Mount" - under $25

Hey guys, I was wasting time at ACE hardware the other day when I came up for the idea for this recovery tool. It is relatively cheap, very strong and functional, and looks good. I have already pulled out a REALLY stuck F-150 with it and none of the parts have showed any signs of bending or breaking even hitting it hard.

Materials:
1- 1/2" or 5/8" grade 8 bolt and nut ~$3-4

4-5 links of 3/8 zinc plated chain (this was the biggest and strongest they had at ACE - rated for 15000 lbs or so) ~ the lady gave it to me free since I only got 4 links but it would probably be like $2 if the employee was a stickler

1- 5/8 shackle or shackle of your choice ~$8-12

Simple put the bolt thru the last link of chain and the shackle through the other and you're done!

Hope you guys like it!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Pretty cool idea.....i wanna see what other people have to say.....
Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
Thats cool but you don't really need all those parts. In the past I have just put one of the looped ends of my tow strap into the hitch and put the hitch pin through it. Less parts and simpler.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Reppin UWYO

A7XT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma831 View Post
Thats cool but you don't really need all those parts. In the past I have just put one of the looped ends of my tow strap into the hitch and put the hitch pin through it. Less parts and simpler.
Yeah I have heard of doing that, I was just looking for some more flexibility and was worried that the inside edges of the reciver may cause abrasions to the tow loop if pulling at an angle
Old 01-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
pretty cool. I might have to do this next time im at ace
Old 01-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XT View Post
Yeah I have heard of doing that, I was just looking for some more flexibility and was worried that the inside edges of the reciver may cause abrasions to the tow loop if pulling at an angle
That's a good point.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's normally what I do...before I dive into the unknown. Then I just throw the strap in the bed, that way it's there if I need to get pulled back out, or to pull someone else!

Never thought about the abrasion issue, but very good point!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man, if it works well enough to pull out a full-size pickup, and it's under $25. I'd say good f'n job!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Shackle looks a little light for the job.

Understand that with the chain pulling on the *center* of your bolt, it's under considerable more load than the corresponding pin would be with a receiver inserted.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
thats good idea! you should post this in the cheap mods thread
Old 01-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
mustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of light
mustangwilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
thats good idea! you should post this in the cheap mods thread
Not a bad idea until you bend that bolt and can't get it out.
This is what I have and it's only $10 more
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CF...4959317&sr=8-1
Old 01-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
Reppin UWYO

A7XT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwilly View Post
Not a bad idea until you bend that bolt and can't get it out.
This is what I have and it's only $10 more
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CF...4959317&sr=8-1
Yeah good point. I'm not claiming it to be better than the real thing by any means, but it is pretty sweet and cheap. Getting that F150 out the other day, I had to hit it about as hard as I have ever pulled because I would have gotten stuck if I would have tried the slow pull approach (deep semipack snow) and the bolt shows no signs of bending yet. If it bent though that would be really shitty.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Could you fit another section of chain in there?

Two sections of chain on the bolt then stick the shackle through the ends of both.

Spread the load out on the bolt a little more and you'd have more strength through the double chains.

Looking at it, that shackle is a bit undersized, probably should upgrade anyway, then I think you could fit two chains, maybe, depending on how big the links of the chain are and how big the shackle pin is.

Edit: 5/8 shackle nevermind, guess it's just the picture. Where in WY are you?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
unsafe
Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
this is what i use

Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
I came. I saw. I conquered.
steved411 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteved411 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteved411 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteved411 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteved411 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteved411 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteved411 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteved411 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteved411 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteved411 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteved411 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
steved411's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's why I got one of these... it was a christmas present

http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/....html?feed=npn
Old 01-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
Edcrosbys is on a distinguished road
Edcrosbys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
this is what i use

Where did ya get that at? And you remember how much?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
My step dad got them at a hardware store at pismo beach for about $20. it came with a pussy pin, so he bought the beefier pin which was a few more bucks.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #19
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I use. It's listed as $20 online, but mine was only $10 in the store. I have used it several times with no issues:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...tch-66212.html
Old 01-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #20
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
yea I snapped a pretty hefty tow strap a couple weeks ago by doing that..

Products Discussed in this Thread