1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

back up light help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by myth01, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Jan 13, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    myth01

myth01 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    south sf, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08 taco Trd sport
    eclipse nav.-w/ Bluetooth & iPod 3'' revtech add a leaf lift kit snug top ss truck cap dive tank racks in back Aux fuse box Aux back up lights, w/ interior fj cruiser stock switch Back up cam Turn signal cams Interior inverter -switched Aux audio/video inputs -RCA (including iPhone cable)w/ 4 input switch Mag light mount Tyredog stand alone tpms Spare tire extension hose Avid off road light bar(powder coated)
    i've done a search but still have not gotten a concrete answer. can you use the trailer wiring back up lead to power up some aux back up lights?

2. Jan 13, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    myth01

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    south sf, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08 taco Trd sport
    eclipse nav.-w/ Bluetooth & iPod 3'' revtech add a leaf lift kit snug top ss truck cap dive tank racks in back Aux fuse box Aux back up lights, w/ interior fj cruiser stock switch Back up cam Turn signal cams Interior inverter -switched Aux audio/video inputs -RCA (including iPhone cable)w/ 4 input switch Mag light mount Tyredog stand alone tpms Spare tire extension hose Avid off road light bar(powder coated)
    anyone?

3. Jan 13, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    myth01

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    south sf, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08 taco Trd sport
    but isn't it on its own fuse and relay?also designed for various kinds of loads?

4. Jan 15, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    ninjanate

ninjanate Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Brigham city UT.
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4X4 double cab long bed
    custom light bar w/extra reverse light. blacked out tail light mod. Satoshi grille mod. Goodyear Wrangler Dura Tracs 265-70R-17.
    you can tap into the trailer reverse lights ans the wire you want to pull the power from is the yellow and silver wire. that is how i wired mine and it comes on in reverse and off when not with no issues.:cheers: i do however only have one light and it is small i would not suggest using more then one light with the trailer reverse light wire

5. Jan 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    steved411

steved411 I came. I saw. I conquered.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC TRD Off-Road
    I'm curious, what type of "aux back up lights" would you use?

6. Jan 16, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    myth01

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    south sf, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08 taco Trd sport
    i'm gonna use the piaa 1500'sX2 they are 55 watts, so 9 amp draw (4.5 amp's each). my trailer wire at first glance looks like a #10 gaudge wire. good for 30 amps

7. Jan 16, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    it will work, i've seen a couple of tacomas in person, that have two 55w lights hooked up simply by tapping into the trailer harness. just make sure you seal off the wire where you tap into it. solder is the best option, but crimp connectors work too. just stay away from the wire taps.

8. Jan 16, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    I recently did this, but I ran a dedicated power line from the battery. I used the back up circuit to trigger a relay that operated a pair of small fog lights.
    TripleGagePod008_88127e00f0e25c65c231e8979cac4fdbe8ce6c56.jpg

TripleGagePod006_716ffb44fe9048884a81158f626c4313a57f89c7.jpg
    TripleGagePod002_7eda5957c20794bf9ef37e7ee61d98e5fc27f3e0.jpg

9. Jan 16, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I also ran a seperate wire from my battery.

I seem to remember the backup lights on my 06 being on the same fuse as the backup wire in the trailer plug, I don't think it's seperate. I think the first thing to fry would be the switch on the transmission. That seems like it would be a hassle and maybe expensive.........here's another thought:

why don't you do like Coupe did but instead of running a wire from the battery for your main power, use the battery charge wire in the trailer harness. I think (not sure) that wire is fused at 30amps. I didn't want to hassle with it, but should be okay to splice into that battery feed wire and add another inline fuse before your relay (15 amps?) Then you tap the reverse light wire for power to trip the relay, then there is no added load on the reverse light switch and you still don't have to run wires to the front.

10. Jan 16, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    myth01

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    south sf, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08 taco Trd sport
    so i talked to a custom truck shop today,(went in to price the lights) they said they just go right to the back up light wires with no prob.

11. Jan 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    myth01

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    south sf, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08 taco Trd sport
    Hey coupe where did you get the relay you used?

Products Discussed in

To Top