Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What the #%^$ happened to my truck?

Old 01-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #22
DocD will become famous soon enough

DocD's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer will probley have you to come back with 900 lbs of cement bags in the bed so he can assess the problem Doc
Old 01-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #23
grist is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
grist's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
The dealer will probably say, can't reproduce sound. The noise customer states is inherent to the truck.

All kidding aside, it sucks that happened dude!!! Hopefully you wull get it back soon.
Oh you have the same dealer as me for sure ! Good luck with the rear !
Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #25
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Pass the bishes
Old 01-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #26
nyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud of

Name: Sean
nyfishhunter's Tacoma Gallery
Verdict is in -- getting new rear end. Parts ordered for Tuesday and under warranty. Asked about the cause -- service guy said the technicians would know more when they start to tear it apart. Any questions to ask them?

Finally, thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions!
-Sean
Old 01-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #27
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Where you still rolling backwards when you shifted into drive?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #28
nyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I would like to say I wasn't, but I suspect was. Generally, I'm pretty good about it.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #29
Beerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Beerrun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I think he meant any questions for the dealer. My guess is you know the answer anyway.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #30
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfishhunter View Post
I would like to say I wasn't, but I suspect was. Generally, I'm pretty good about it.
Sounds like maybe it was just a bad diff. You should never shift into drive while still rolling backwards and it is way worse while in low because of the low gearing.

Ask them if there was teeth stripped from the ring gear or pinion gear.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #31
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
I had a clunking like that in my Firebird once... Busted the locker pin in the diff. It's about 2" in Diameter. No, I wasn't f**king around!!!

....Somehow got it covered under warranty too!

good luck with the new rear-end man.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #32
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Back from dealer. Said it would be covered and they'll let me know by end-of-day what happened. As I watched them drive it in, I could see the rear of the truck hopping pretty violently. I tried to drive the truck up the driveway to the flat bed in 2, but only got a horrible sound. Was able to slowly limp up in 4. Kind of sick feeling following your truck in flat bed.
I for one know I'm miserable when my Taco baby is broke or not feeling well, we will all be praying for a speedy and complete recovery.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 AM   #33
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grist View Post
Oh you have the same dealer as me for sure ! Good luck with the rear !
Motorworld?!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #34
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
OP, that sucks that happened, but glad its being covered. Bet you won't be backing down your driveway in 4-Lo anymore! Keep us updated.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #35
grist is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
grist's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
Motorworld?!
Absolutley !!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #36
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Any questions to ask them?
Tell them you want to see/keep the old parts and snap pictures. Have them check the axle splines for twist(they should anyways), that kind of breakage can do more that just shear teeth off of the ring and pinion, sometimes it can translate forward and cause transfer case damage if it is violent enough. Keep all paper work, of course.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #37
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grist View Post
Absolutley !!

You bet..... I take it to motorworld for for TSB stuff cuz of convience IMBY. I buy all my stuff at Toyota of Scranton because I get way better deals up there.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #38
Don't really understand 2WD trucks....
4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all

4X42HEL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Verdict is in -- getting new rear end. Parts ordered for Tuesday and under warranty. Asked about the cause -- service guy said the technicians would know more when they start to tear it apart. Any questions to ask them?

Finally, thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions!
-Sean
You need to ask them these questions:

1) What the hell in fact broke (specifically, ring gear? pinion gear? splines on the shaft? left shaft? right shaft? pins from the locker? the locker itself? The axle housing??, what???)
2) What the hell (likely) caused it?
3) Do they, as a dealer, see this happen frequently? If so, what is Toyota doing about it?
4) What can you do to prevent it in the future?
5) What specifically are they replacing? re-using on your setup?

Not sure about you, but I LOVE to have a working knowledge of all my machinery in my head. I like to know specifically how pins shift a locker together, how/when the transfer case shifts.... etc. Somehow gives me more driving confidence to avoid breaking stuff like this.

Lil off topic, but in my old Z-71, GM used to make the front axle actuators be heat driven. So when you shift into 4x4, it "heats up" and expands, pushing the pin into 4x4. Well, knowing this helped when I was stuck in mud once (Go GM engineering...) the damn mud made the actuator too cold to push the 4x4 pin.... Lucky for me, i knew IMMEDIATELY what the problem was. I jumped in front of the truck, unscrewed (with my hand) the actuator off the axle, pushed the pin in with my own fingers, and drove out of the stuck mud. The pin stayed put just long enough to get unstuck. If anybody owned a 88-95 GM, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. In 96, they made them electric and solved the problem.

Point is, if you know having your locker locked does A, B and C, then you can inherently know not to turn on pavement etc... while in locked mode. You get the point. Interview the $#!T out of the tech, they are usually helpful.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #39
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
You bet..... I take it to motorworld for for TSB stuff cuz of convience IMBY. I buy all my stuff at Toyota of Scranton because I get way better deals up there.
I bought my truck at Scranton and they have only seen it 3 times since. Free oil change, rear leaf tsb, and new spark plugs. I buy my accessories at motorworld and haggle them down to come close to internet prices. I see you're in WB, I'm just down in Nanticoke.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #40

Update: Picked-up truck today. I didnít get a lot of information from Toyota other than teeth were missing from both the ring and pinion gears. They donít know what caused the problem, though they offered it may have been a shift from forward to reverse (or vice versa) without coming to a complete stop. I obviously didnít do this on purpose, but may not have been paying enough attention. I would feel better if it was user-error vs. a faulty/defective part.

Warranty covered it, but they said it would have been an $1,800 +tax repair if I had to pay for it. The replacement part was ďDifferential Carrier Assy R&RĒ, part number 41110-35A20, plus the gasket and oil. I learned my lesson. A google search didnít get me much on the part number. Thanks again for the input.