Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What the #%^$ happened to my truck?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
nyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud of

Name: Sean
nyfishhunter's Tacoma Gallery
What the #%^$ happened to my truck?

I would appreciate any suggestions and thoughts. Backed down snowy driveway in 4 Low (ATRAC) – not because I needed it, but because I have it. Went from reverse to drive and felt like I got rear-ended, with a loud noise from rear. Parked the truck and didn’t notice anything visually wrong – though I probably wouldn’t catch it. Later, I tried driving up driveway, I got a bad thump, thump, thump from the rear, - felt like someone was hammering a sledge in bed of truck. Still in driveway, tried 2 wheel drive, same thumping, also in neutral rolling slightly down driveway. One shift from reverse to drive (automatic) sounded like a manual shift without the clutch. Sitting here waiting for the flatbed to take to dealer. Stock 2010 Off-road 4x4 with less than 9K miles. Warranty better cover this one. I’ll post an update once I hear from the dealer.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I just took mine in a couple weeks ago for a loud banging from the rear of the truck. Turned out to be a heat shield that got loose and was rubbing the drive shaft. Sounded awful, I thought it was something in the brakes by the racket it made. Hopefully it's something as dumb as that but based on your description, yours sounds more serious. I never had any grinding when shifting, only when I tried to move.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SoufJerz View Post
sounds like you imploded your rear. were you rolling when you put it in 4L??

X2

Bet the ring gear is missing a few teef............
Old 01-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfishhunter View Post
I would appreciate any suggestions and thoughts. Backed down snowy driveway in 4 Low (ATRAC) – not because I needed it, but because I have it. Went from reverse to drive and felt like I got rear-ended, with a loud noise from rear. Parked the truck and didn’t notice anything visually wrong – though I probably wouldn’t catch it. Later, I tried driving up driveway, I got a bad thump, thump, thump from the rear, - felt like someone was hammering a sledge in bed of truck. Still in driveway, tried 2 wheel drive, same thumping, also in neutral rolling slightly down driveway. One shift from reverse to drive (automatic) sounded like a manual shift without the clutch. Sitting here waiting for the flatbed to take to dealer. Stock 2010 Off-road 4x4 with less than 9K miles. Warranty better cover this one. I’ll post an update once I hear from the dealer.
ATRAC + ICE + Locker = Kaboom
Old 01-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
nyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SoufJerz View Post
sounds like you imploded your rear. were you rolling when you put it in 4L??
As best I recall, no. I backed down in low. The initial thump was with the shift from reverse to drive. I was getting close to house and wanted to straighten it out. That shift was from a complete stop.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
Tckwarrior is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
Tckwarrior's Tacoma Gallery
With so few miles it will definatly be covered under warranty
Old 01-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
4lo has a ton of torque. Id imagine that's all it was, you can feel it pretty good going between gears
Thanks for the input, but I'm pretty sure I damaged something - it still thumps when I move it.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
Don't really understand 2WD trucks....
4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all

4X42HEL's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you may have wasted your rear.

Check the pumpkin housing for any deformations. Once, the same exact thing happened to my buddy's K5 (which has a MUCH thicker axle housing) and a tooth had broken off the ring gear, and shot up with so much force, it penetrated the housing shooting up.

He had to get a new axle. The truck was 15 years old, and out of warranty.

If that happened to you, it will be under warranty, just be sure to get a new locker axle and not the standard one. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
mxpilot has a spectacular aura aboutmxpilot has a spectacular aura about
Name: Chris
mxpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Shouldn't be an issue with the low mileage. Had my '07 make a noise in the front once while going into 4wd, took an axle and other misc. parts at 2k. I think from what I've read that they have a problem with the 4wd and cover them regularly, unless the dealer is an a__hole. I've been blessed with 2 good ones so far.

I had an '07 quit shifting once, and felt like it had an anchor attached. Ended up taking a transmission at 28k miles and it was covered too.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfishhunter View Post
Thanks for the input, but I'm pretty sure I damaged something - it still thumps when I move it.
Pretty sure its your R&P, there are plenty of posts on 2gen forum of people that busted TRD rear ..
Old 01-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #14
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I just took mine in a couple weeks ago for a loud banging from the rear of the truck. Turned out to be a heat shield that got loose and was rubbing the drive shaft. Sounded awful, I thought it was something in the brakes by the racket it made. Hopefully it's something as dumb as that but based on your description, yours sounds more serious. I never had any grinding when shifting, only when I tried to move.
had the same damn thing happen. was so relieved when i crawled under to find the heat shield on the gas tank bent out.

again...sounds like your rear end. let us know what happens!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #15
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #16

Back from dealer. Said it would be covered and they'll let me know by end-of-day what happened. As I watched them drive it in, I could see the rear of the truck hopping pretty violently. I tried to drive the truck up the driveway to the flat bed in 2, but only got a horrible sound. Was able to slowly limp up in 4. Kind of sick feeling following your truck in flat bed.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #17
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
Well at least you are going to be covered.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #18
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
The dealer will probably say, can't reproduce sound. The noise customer states is inherent to the truck.

All kidding aside, it sucks that happened dude!!! Hopefully you wull get it back soon.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #19
rmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud of

rmd0311's Tacoma Gallery
eagerly awaiting results.