Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Adding Cruise Control

Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
scgunslinger is on a distinguished road

scgunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
Adding Cruise Control

Has anyone added Cruise to a non SR5, non TRD 2011 2.7 man trans. I dont think mine comes with the wiring in the colum and not sure how to tell. Dont want to buy the stem and install parts and find out theirs no wiring in the colum or to and from the ECM to control it. I have a base model truck reg cab bench seat which I hate and no power options. I bought this to truck to last as long as I do so I ordered it stripped down as far as I could get it. The less there is the less there is to break.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
im not sure if its the same for a 2011, but for my 2005 all of the wires and necessary plugs were there, they were just taped off.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=171992

this is what i followed, hve you checked this out? it may somewhere in a later post if it will work for a 2011
Old 01-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Nerdfighter
ppeter is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
ppeter's Tacoma Gallery
I got this cruise control for my 2008 SR5 reg cab for like $150. If you are worried about the toyota one not working on a non SR5 this one just clips into the plastic on the steering wheel. I'm perfectly happy with it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RP...1779/?rtype=10

Old 01-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Bill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the rough

Bill in Ky's Tacoma Gallery
I got my stem at a junk yard for $10. They are all the same cars and trucks are alike in your year model. So one for a Camry will fit.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
timsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

timsxr's Tacoma Gallery
just did a install same truck tusday 2011 manual rostra makes the kit works just like factory
make sure to get the clutch switch 250-4206
your truck may be pre-wired if not this kit will still work!!

http://rostra.com/manuals/250-1836_Form5188C.pdf
Old 07-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Mondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I got the cruise control switch and the new jumper wire for my 2008 base model. But after plugging everything in, nothing. Is there a part that goes from the ecu to the steering wheel that i need?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
I got tiger blood.. WINNING
LBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
I installed everything on my 09 5-lug and no go. Turns out I wasnt pre-wired so I am kinda at a stand still..??
Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #10

update

Dealership, my local one says cant be done the toyota parts wont work on my truck. Second here is the part #s from Rostra for the 2011 taco 250-1836 and if you have a clutch 250-4206 and bout $170.00 bucks. I ordered mine from Brandon Dist. @ 877-402-3944 great people. Rostra says no problem. Will update again after the install. And yes this is the delership I bought the truck from, what the heck ?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Eternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Eternal24k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgunslinger View Post
Dealership, my local one says cant be done the toyota parts wont work on my truck. Second here is the part #s from Rostra for the 2011 taco 250-1836 and if you have a clutch 250-4206 and bout $170.00 bucks. I ordered mine from Brandon Dist. @ 877-402-3944 great people. Rostra says no problem. Will update again after the install. And yes this is the delership I bought the truck from, what the heck ?
thanks! I still hate how Toyota requires the package for the cruise control
Old 02-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #12

update after install

Well dont try to deal with the stealership. I tried not to say that but what else can I think. The Rostra kit worked great even if your truck is not prewired and my truck was not. I had four wires to run from the drivers side to the passenger side and used a coat hanger to pull them across from one side to the other. I also had to install the clutch switch. Yep it was a pita. My biggest trouble was no room to rotate the clutch switch to screw it inplace of the stop bolt on the clutch pedal. The wires were made onto it and no room for them to rotate to screw it in. How they stayed on there I have no idea. I pulled on them for 10 min to turn the switch about 12 rounds or so. All I can say is its made tough and thank you Rostra for making a great system. Im no professional mechanic and it took me about four hours and two sore knees to get her done but Im cruzing now with a push of a button. I have one issue maybe someone can answer. When I push the brake pedal the cruise drops out and will not resume the cruise light starts blinking and I have to turn it off then back on to reset it. ? Not sure if thats the correct way it is supposed to work but I can deal with that. I think my corolla with resume after pushing the brake pedal. If I had to guess I would say this is the factory cruise toyota installs on our trucks. Looks indentical to my corolla.