1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drive line/rear end clunk

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Redgrom, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Jan 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom [OP] http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Hello, I am pretty sure its coming from the rear drive shaft ( 2005 dc long bed sport 4x4, 70,000 miles). When I start from a dead stop I get a light clunk from the somewhere (feel it in the peddle no noise but have not checked in a quiet area so maybe clunk is not the best word but hopefully you get what I am trying to say), nothing major just feels like something has a little play. I don't notice it when I am coasting and give it gas just when it first starts off (actually about 1-2 seconds after it begins to move. Did the rear end service about 15k ago and the oil looked pretty good and I decided to check it today and it has some discoloration but I have to imagine its fine. The rear end is not running hot. I have shaken the drive shaft and don't feel any excessive play but the double cab has a pretty long drive shaft so I could be missing something. Any thoughts?

2. Jan 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    I did do a search and chris 4x4 mentioned axel wrap was common with stock springs but I have a aftermarket rear pack and the clunk is a recent development.

3. Jan 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Auto or stick? Not sure if the LB came in 6spd. Have you greased the driveshaft zerks?

4. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    Auto, yeah at the last oil change. MAYBE 2500 back?

5. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    MikeyD

MikeyD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sayreville NJ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota tacoma 4x4
    BHLM, HID kit, yellow fogs, Grill craft, Hellas behind grillcraft, LED cup holder mod, after market horn, extra reverse lights, under body glow for off roading at night, pro comp 7089's wrapped in 255/75/17 bfg mud terrains, Toytec coiovers sat at 3.25, 2" add a leaf with 5100's, Satoshi grill mod
    Its your U Joint. I just did mine the other day. Replaced it myself. part cost me 26 bucks.

6. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    dealer item? Read somewhere here they are hard to come by. Could this be true?

7. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    any idea which one to start with?

8. Jan 15, 2011 at 5:04 AM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
  9. Jan 15, 2011 at 5:33 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    You might try applying some new grease to the slip joint, half way along the rear drive shaft. When I did this, the thud on stopping/takeoff went away. It's a bit of work, but not difficult. As has been said already, make sure your U-joints are in good order too.

10. Jan 15, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    MikeyD

MikeyD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sayreville NJ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota tacoma 4x4
    BHLM, HID kit, yellow fogs, Grill craft, Hellas behind grillcraft, LED cup holder mod, after market horn, extra reverse lights, under body glow for off roading at night, pro comp 7089's wrapped in 255/75/17 bfg mud terrains, Toytec coiovers sat at 3.25, 2" add a leaf with 5100's, Satoshi grill mod
    You can buy a U joint anywhere. I ordered mine from pep boys.

11. Jan 15, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    Did you need to have them pressed out or could you work them out with a socket an hammer? My 78 bronco use to eat them for lunch and it was a easy job, have to imagine the taco should not be very hard.
    For the slip joint I assume you also have to pull the shaft? Did you use the same grease you used for the u-joints? I have a tube of mobil 1 synthetic, that should work right?

12. Jan 15, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    ok pumped about half a tube of grease in the u-joints and the thunk is gone for now, I called toyota and the parts department said they did not sell the u-joints and recommended I replace the entire shaft. Just for fun I asked for a price and.... $1230.00!!!
    Time to call auto zone and see what they have. I assume the grease is just masking some form of damage to the u-joints and it will surface again if I don't replace them?
    Any thoughts?

13. Jan 15, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    U joints are easy to replace, do it yourself. You will need to get a Ujoint press because they are pressed in but I have replaced them before, not on my truck yet.

14. Jan 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Yup, you have to pull the shaft. I loosen the carrier bearing bracket (two bolts) and remove the four bolts at the rear-most U-joint, where the driveshaft connects to the rear diff. Of course, the rear end is jacked up so that the tires are off the ground. Remember to chock the front wheels!

It takes some wiggling, but the rear portion of the driveshaft can be pulled out of the front portion (push it back toward the front of the truck and wiggle). Clean everything up, apply the new grease (I apply it to the splines of the male and female portions), and re-assemble.

I use Molykote BR-2 grease for the slip joint and Pennzoil Pennlith Ultra EP-2 for my U-joints. The Molykote is designed for use on splined joints, also use it on my ATV. I'm not an expert on greases, but as long as the Mobil 1 stuff is good in high temperature and high pressure areas, it should be OK. Water resistance is good too.

15. Jan 15, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    MikeyD

MikeyD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sayreville NJ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota tacoma 4x4
    yeah i was able to hammer them out with a socket. First time doing it for me and it was no problem.

16. Jan 17, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    Well I was able to swap out the u-joints, and carrier bearing, but had a vibration in the shaft once I reinstalled ( I did mark its location), took it to driveline here in orange county for a balance and she is good as new.
    thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top