1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad Squeak when turning the steering wheel

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mnudo200827, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Jan 14, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    mnudo200827

mnudo200827 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner
    Icon Coilovers, All-Pro UCA's, All Pro 3" Leaf Springs, Rear Fox Adjustable Shocks, Stainless Steel Brake lines, 17" KMC Addicts wrapped in 305/65/17 KM2's, Kenwood DDX 512 stereo, 2 12" Polk Audio MM1240 subs in custom enclosure, 4 component speakers, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    So while i was driving today i noticed a sqeak in the front end when i turned the steering wheel. it sounds like door hinges that need to be greased up. It appears to only be on the passenger side. i had somebody turn the wheel while i was under it and it seems to be either the tie rod where it connects to the steering knuckle or lower ball joint. The power steering fluid is at the proper level. Just curious if anybody has had this problem or can tell me exactly what it is before i start checking it out tomorrow. Thanks...Mike

2. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    06TRDsport

06TRDsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 F250 Diesel and 1999 4Runner
    I have the same issue as you. I had thought it was the uca bushings because if I loosen the bolt for the uca it goes away. Even after taking it apart several times and thoroughly greasing it I can't get the noise to go away. Sorry I don't have a fix for ya.

3. Jul 23, 2011 at 11:36 PM
    kodiakkid

kodiakkid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kodiak, AK
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5- TRD-off road
    Performance: Flowmaster cat back exhaust, KNN Drop in Filter, Locker anytime Icon 2.5 coilovers in front set at 2.5" Icon rear shocks Toytec 2.5" add a leaf Rims/Tires: 16" XD enduros, 255/85/16 KM2 Looks: Black LED tail lights, 55w 6000K HID headlights, 35w 6000k HID fogs, TRD 6spd shift knob, De-baged, "Sock- Monkey" black badges, color matched chrome grill surround New front bumper- No license plate drill holes : ) Custom Devil Horns
    I have the same issue! Just on the passengers side as well. I put the truck up on jack stands and pull the wheels off, Of course no noise then. I am taking it in to get it check out this Tuesday. Let you know what I find out.

4. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    supratrippy

supratrippy member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma DCLB 2wd 17 tacoma DCSB 4x4
    any update on this? i have the same issue

5. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Squeaking, or squealing? Sure it's not the drive belt being worn out, and the extra pressure from the P/S pump is makeing the belt slip? Could be time to change out the belt. Also P/S fluid does eventually need to be changed and/or flushed. Is the fluid red? or black? Flushing is easier than you think though shops like to charge alot for it.

6. Nov 9, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    95TacoChick

95TacoChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    3" body lift with K&N Air filter...more to come
    I believe i have the same issue as to the tie rods squeaking. Its only when i move my wheels to the left...I had my dad lay under the truck and it seems like its at the rubber boot of the inner tie rod. I dont know what i should do yet..

7. Nov 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    swissrallyman

swissrallyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Use a quality moly grease on the UCA BJ and it goes away. It did for me anyways, but thena again I have LR UCA's.

8. Oct 10, 2017 at 2:49 PM
    Ulysiss

Ulysiss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ulysiss
    La Puente, SGV
    Vehicle:
    2013 Long Bed, PreRunner, TRD Sport

Products Discussed in

To Top