1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can Dealer Keep Deposit On Used Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rob01, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    rob01

rob01 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 silver Crew cab TDR sport
    Looking for awhile and finally found a hard to find Tacoma, problem is I am getting it inspected by a 3rd party as I am distance away. Dealer told me to put a $500 deposit refundable if report is good none if bad. 1st of all dealer is not going to see this report as its between me and the company inspecting it. Can the dealer keep this deposit or is it refundable. By putting it on credit card will this protect me.

2. Jan 14, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    ruslanus

ruslanus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rus
    Wasilla, AK
  3. Jan 14, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Shouldn't it be the other way? i.e. you put the deposit, then get the truck inspected. If inspection shows the truck is good, then the deposit becomes non-refundable. If inspection show the truck is bad, then the deposit is returned.

4. Jan 14, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    Hard Taco2

Hard Taco2 Active Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    06 TDR Off Road
    A copy of your licence and your vehicle/car keys should be all the deposit you need if it's a reliable dealer; I'd never pay a penny deposit to have a vehicle checked out . I'd say as a condition of possible sale, that I'd want to have another party, (BCAA in my case) inspect the vehicle.

5. Jan 14, 2011 at 10:44 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Most dealers will not let u have there truck inspected without an agreed on price and a deposit on the vehicle first.

This is the right way to do things. If you are serious about buying the truck, you should show a commitment with a deposit. Money talks.

Just make sure, before you give the deposit, that its 'Subject to inspection' and also 'Subject to rates/payments' if you are financing.

Have it written on the worksheet you and the salesmen wrote up so u have it in writing.

That way if the inspection shows the truck is not in good shape, you can take your deposit back.

6. Jan 15, 2011 at 12:46 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    Myself personally? I wouldn't give them a dime! There are other trucks out there. If they won't let you have it inspected? Go somewhere else.
    They'll take your money or information and try to hold it over you to make a high pressure sale.

An honest dealer with nothing to hide, would welcome an inspection, even let you test drive the truck!LOL!

I hate car salesmen! Used car salesmen even more!

7. Jan 15, 2011 at 3:28 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    On the other hand, it's not easy for a dealer to trust people- just like it's the other way around. Working for one, in sales-then finance-then service, I see all kinds've people lying about everything (on both sides!)... But, if they're going to tie up a vehicle on the lot for someone that's far away and then allow some 3rd party take the car off the lot for inspection, a $500 deposit to show serious interest on a $20,000 vehicle that is not yours is not alot to ask. If it takes the vehicle off the market for 4 days, they may have sold it in that period of time. I had a lady go to lunch "to think about it" and then came back an hour later to find a person at my desk signing on the dotted line. She was pissed but had the opportunity to place a deposit down. Expecting them to trust a customer on their word? Well, that's like trusting them on theirs. A trustworthy dealer may require the deposit, but will refund it as they stated. Just get it in writing. And do a carfax.

8. Jan 15, 2011 at 4:54 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Must be a Canadian thing.....The last time I looked at buying a used car, the dealer told me to take it for a day to see if I liked it, have it checked out. whatever. All he needed was 2 forms of ID, no deposit neeeded.

9. Jan 15, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I would never leave a deposit on a vehicle. Ever. Even if the dealer is supposed to refund it I've heard to many stories of people having to fight like hell to get deposits back.

10. Jan 15, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Leave the deposit on American Express. If the dealership gives you any grief for any reason, call AmEx and tell them. You'll have the money back on your credit card before you get off of the phone.

Products Discussed in

To Top