Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My CB Installation (in detail)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #21
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Rus
ruslanus's Tacoma Gallery
Did your CB Radio come with the mounting bracket or did you have to buy it separately?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #22
Gitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant future
Name: Justin
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice write up man! I pretty much have the exact same setup haha. Same radio, different speaker (100w from radioshack) and I just used industrial velcro to keep the radio against the center console.

The PA system comes in handy during special occasions while driving
Old 01-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #23
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up . I don't even want a CB and I read it all .

haha
Old 01-16-2011, 06:40 AM   #24
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslanus View Post
Did your CB Radio come with the mounting bracket or did you have to buy it separately?
the mounting bracket came with the CB. i am pretty sure the bracket comes with all CBs.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #25
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Great write up . I don't even want a CB and I read it all .

haha
X2
Old 01-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #26
southpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to behold
southpier's Tacoma Gallery
is anyone able to post a picture of the deadpedal removal?

and rather than start a whole new thread (didn't search - yet), is there any use for the cigarette lighter if it's not used for smoking?

thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #27
yarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Yuri
yarik83's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you sir for your review. I will certainly reference it when I will get to installing my cb radio. I especially like how you made your antenna fold down and out of sight although I would have probably installed some sort of clip on thingie so that end of antenna does not wobble all over the place as you are driving.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #28
Mudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mudman's Tacoma Gallery
Wow great post! Thank you
Old 01-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #29
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpier View Post
is there any use for the cigarette lighter if it's not used for smoking?

thanks
i put a small USB connector in my cigarette lighter. so now, i dont have to use a car specific USB cable to charge my devices. i can just use a normal USB cable for everything.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpier View Post
is anyone able to post a picture of the deadpedal removal?
thanks
ya, i would like to see that too. i assume it just pops off.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarik83 View Post
although I would have probably installed some sort of clip on thingie so that end of antenna does not wobble all over the place as you are driving.
ya, i may do that. however, the only time i can think of when i would fold it down would be at the car wash and in a parking garage. both of which, i would not be driving very far. i will have to see how bad it wobbles when folded down.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #33

so, i was sitting at work this morning (in louisville, co) trying to pick up any conversation on the CB. i had the gain turned all the way up and the sqeltch turned all the way down and i was able to listen to a couple of guys talking about the weather. i listened for a while and they said that they were near mississippi and wadsworth in lakewood, co. i checked mapquest and thats over 22 miles away! i tried breaking into the channel, but there was no way that they heard me from a 4 watt CB.

from this situation, should i assume that they were broadcasting on a CB that puts out waaaaay more than 4 watts? or can the CB/antenna setup that i have really receive broadcasts from that far away?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #34

driving home from work today, i managed to have a conversation with a dude on the CB. when i got home, i mapquested the distance and it was about 3.4 miles in the city (lots of power lines and buildings around) and in front of the truck. the signal was clear so i figure i could probably get 5.0 miles in the city. i am happy with that. it will be interesting to see how far the range is in an open area.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #35
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMonkey View Post
from this situation, should i assume that they were broadcasting on a CB that puts out waaaaay more than 4 watts? or can the CB/antenna setup that i have really receive broadcasts from that far away?
Antennas make as much or more difference in the broadcast/receive picture as transmission power.

They could e.g. be using home base stations with a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna on a 2nd story rooftop.

I've hit a mountaintop repeater on Ham 2m using only 5watts 125 miles away - not because my setup is particularly great, but because it's a great antenna on a mountaintop fire observation platform.

Hearsay has it (I haven't tried it!) that for mobile CBs, a full 108" whip with a good ground plane (e.g. roof) can cause the user to be accused of running an illegal linear amplifier. But most folks (me included) don't want to run a 108" whip antenna mounted to our roof.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #36
sleepdr is a glorious beacon of lightsleepdr is a glorious beacon of lightsleepdr is a glorious beacon of lightsleepdr is a glorious beacon of lightsleepdr is a glorious beacon of lightsleepdr is a glorious beacon of light
sleepdr's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write up. I just passed my tech & general ham exams, and have been thinking about installing a rig myself. This helps much!
Old 01-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #37

original post updated (at the end of it).

i found a solution for the electrical noise coming through the CB speaker.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #38
nolo is on a distinguished road
nolo's Tacoma Gallery
damn good writeup!!!! I had my old cb mounted haphazardly in my old 4runner, but when I got my new taco I haven't wanted to drill anywhere... yet. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #39
I like ze best!
Rhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rhino8541's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write up!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #40
Indian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ashil
Indian Shifter's Tacoma Gallery
A job well done..hats off to you

Products Discussed in this Thread