Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My CB Installation (in detail)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #41
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Shifter View Post
A job well done..hats off to you
thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #42
Papas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blue
Papas Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thank You!!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #43
davidsdad will become famous soon enough

Name: Dave
davidsdad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticDave View Post
Yes get a power mic or power/echo mic. It will greatly improve the way you get out. As for range those firesticks are fairly limited. But good for 2 miles or so on highway or trail use. Nice write-up.
I have to disagree. I have a Firestick and get out more than 20 miles with my modified radio!!! I think Firesticks are on of the better antennas
Old 02-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #44
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsdad View Post
I have to disagree. I have a Firestick and get out more than 20 miles with my modified radio!!! I think Firesticks are on of the better antennas
ya, i have to agree. the firestick antenna is a good antenna. i know that i can transmit at least 5 miles in the city and i can receive signals from 20 miles away.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #45
day42 is on a distinguished road

day42's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write-up. Thanks for the pics, mostly. I may be getting a CB sometime soon and wanted to see a good way to route the antenna wire, and power wires. Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #46
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
antenna mount bolts for truck bed ham / cb

Great post! I found the website for that bolt kit for bed... I have been looking for just that... here is the site for any one looking for it as well.

http://www.rockymounts.com/SearchRes...show=10&page=2
Old 04-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #47
sicripp83 is on a distinguished road
sicripp83's Tacoma Gallery
great write up!! one question what did you do with the excess coax cable? iv read several different threads about what to do with it
Old 04-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #48
oh and one more question. im in the process of getting a bestop supertop and was woundering where everyone mounts their antenna toppers or bestops. the hood mount Relentless makes is sweet but i dont know about a 4ft firestick on the front of my truck
Old 04-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #49
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
i would have liked to put my cb in the same spot, but my wife drives my truck once in a while and she would have had to move the seat foward. excellent job w the details.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #50
bump OP you must be out enjoying the cb
Old 04-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicripp83 View Post
great write up!! one question what did you do with the excess coax cable? iv read several different threads about what to do with it
i had about 2 feet of extra coax. so i stuffed it behind the bed pocket inside the fender.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicripp83 View Post
oh and one more question. im in the process of getting a bestop supertop and was woundering where everyone mounts their antenna toppers or bestops. the hood mount Relentless makes is sweet but i dont know about a 4ft firestick on the front of my truck
here is a molded side mount kit. you could bolt this into the side of your topper:
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb...nting-349.html

EDIT:
ohh.. i guess that topper is not made from fiberglass
so maybe you could use one of their 3-way mounts:
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/mi...-cb-mounts-85/
Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #54
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, fuses always go as near the battery as possible.

I installed winch today and there doesnt seem to be a method of fusing it. I'm toying with getting an anderson power pole connector that I'll leave disconnected since having a 2 gauge wire ran thru my engine bay unfused scared the poop out of me.

The other thing to note is that shortening a coax will mess it up is a total myth. Impedance is determined by several things, such as center conductor width, dielectric width, etc. Not length. As long as it is terminated properly with a good connector, make it as short as you'd like, The shorter the better really.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethema View Post
Ya, fuses always go as near the battery as possible.

I installed winch today and there doesnt seem to be a method of fusing it. I'm toying with getting an anderson power pole connector that I'll leave disconnected since having a 2 gauge wire ran thru my engine bay unfused scared the poop out of me.

The other thing to note is that shortening a coax will mess it up is a total myth. Impedance is determined by several things, such as center conductor width, dielectric width, etc. Not length. As long as it is terminated properly with a good connector, make it as short as you'd like, The shorter the better really.
umm... not with a NGP antenna. the length of the coax is very important.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #56
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #57
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
Oh sorry, wasn't aware it was using the coax itself as the ground. Yes a minimum length will be needed for the ground plane. It's kind of a crappy design, but CB is a really crappy mobile system overall. Freq way too low for good mobile performance. It isn't used in Canada at all basically. VHF is King up here.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #58
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
I have a regular cab that I am getting ready to install a Cobra 75 in and I have a question for you. I am trying to figure out how to run the cable without making a bigger hole in the grommet than I need. I saw that you cut one of the ends off, and attached it again using an o style connector. Was there a special mount you used on the antenna end? I always thought you had to use the connectors that came on there.

Have you had any problems with mounting it the way you did? I would appreciate any tips that you might have. I have read this thread twice and I am about to look through it again, but your advice would be great.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 08-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #59
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
ok, I'm an idiot. I just read the info right above the first picture.

Let me make sure that I understand: NGP uses normal connection at the CB side and a bolt style/ring terminal at the other end? Does firestik sell the kit as a whole?

Products Discussed in this Thread