Notices

Which front hitch receiver do I need?

Old 01-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
ismuqattash is on a distinguished road
Name: Isa
ismuqattash's Tacoma Gallery
Which front hitch receiver do I need?

Hi all,

Still a newbie here, with a 2005 DC SB. I'm looking to setup a cooler on the front of my truck (for fishing), and am wondering which front hitch receiver bar to get. I won't be using it to tow anything, but it will need to hold up to 150 lbs of weight. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Do you care about ground clearance?

If so, there's only one choice: CBI fabrication.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
there are others like this one that would fulfill your needs....

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~31313.h...cleid=20067447
Old 01-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
Thanks guys! I found the Curt receiver in a Google search, and was worried a bit about ground clearance (especially since a cooler rack is going to stick out quite a bit.

I remember reading in the CBI threads that it's a bad idea to mount directly to the OEM aluminum bar that's under the front bumper. That might have been only related to serious towing though. For my purposes (~150 lbs max weight), do you think I can simply drill into that aluminum bar, and screw on a 2" x 2" square aluminum tubing? What do you think?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
If you do screw into aluminum, make sure you get stainless steel bolts.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Thanks for the tip, Eric. Pardon my lack of knowledge here, but why would the stainless stell bolts make a difference when you screw into aluminum?

Also, if one were to guess, how much would would you think the aluminum support bar can handle?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
brp is on a distinguished road
brp's Tacoma Gallery
According to the Warn website they make a front receiver for 2nd gen Tacomas. Anybody have experience with it?
http://warn.iwebcat.com/_Members/loo...Flag=&hdnWN=1&
Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
1bad10tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Curt on front of mine, it does look a little low, but i never had a problem with it.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
CBI Offroad Fab has a brilliant futureCBI Offroad Fab has a brilliant futureCBI Offroad Fab has a brilliant futureCBI Offroad Fab has a brilliant futureCBI Offroad Fab has a brilliant futureCBI Offroad Fab has a brilliant futureCBI Offroad Fab has a brilliant futureCBI Offroad Fab has a brilliant futureCBI Offroad Fab has a brilliant futureCBI Offroad Fab has a brilliant futureCBI Offroad Fab has a brilliant future

CBI Offroad Fab's Tacoma Gallery
We at CBI Offroad Fab make the only High clearance "Hidden" Front receiver hitch. Give us a call for details!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery
I like the CBI hitch. Or you can make one like I did for about $80.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
bledsoe3 is on a distinguished road
bledsoe3's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have a picture of the Curt front receiver installed on their truck? I just want one to hold a bike carrier when I'm pulling my trailer. The ground clearance isn't a big concern for me. Plus Amazon has them for $183 with free shipping.