Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

CB install (Different CB placement/mount)

Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
CB install (Different CB placement/mount)

Well I figure if Im going to start wheeling with the forum members I might as well be able to communicate with the convoy...also if I get bored I can chat on the drive home from work.

Parts used:
-Uniden pro520xl: I grounded it to the cab under the center console and ran direct power to the battery.

-Firestick II 4'

-Radio shack coax

-Radio shack antenna mount

-Homemade antenna mount

-(waiting for for my spring mount to come in)

I decided to take advantage of my truck being totally gutted to run my coax and other wires needed for my cb. WHY was it gutted you ask?

So it looked like this for a bit

I also took this time to seal the rubber grommets in the cab. There are about 12 of these throughout the cab.

Thanks to Oswego for helping with his write up

To run the coax I drilled a hole in the center of the bed wall, I also used a grommet to protect the cable.

Ran it down the frame and into the cab via the center grommet under the back seats and sealed it with some silicone. (yes there is space under there so the cable is not smahed or kinked)

Then around the storage compartment area and up towards the center console

Then re installed my interior.

I thought I mounted my CB in a different/cool spot so here it is. The CB speaker sticks out about half ways so it is easy to hear.

Not wanting a mount from radio shack I made my own. Also not wanting to drag out the welder to tack the bolts to lock them from rotating, I opted for a more fun way...to me. I call it super soldering

OR

So there it is, what ya guys think about the location? Not really a write up but I figured I'd share. My SWR meter should be coming in soon so Ill be able to tune it! I realize I posted many pics...Im not sorry haha
Old 01-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
nice, Bro grenade!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
nice, Bro grenade!
Thanks man.
Haha yea, Ive been meaning to take that shit off.....but my bro-ness keeps me from doing it. But really, many bro around here started rocking it, they dont even snowboard so its coming off as soon as bob gets me my sticker!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I think you'll be ok with that antenna location-a very small portion of your signal may be phased by the metal rear of the cab but the vast majority of the loading coil of the antenna sits above the roofline-that will help. Great effort there-looks like you know what you're doing
Old 01-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
true.... Does that CB have a PA connection on the back? cause mine doesnt
Old 01-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I think you'll be ok with that antenna location-a very small portion of your signal may be phased by the metal rear of the cab but the vast majority of the loading coil of the antenna sits above the roofline-that will help. Great effort there-looks like you know what you're doing
Thanks man Im thinkin about trying a ground wire for the antenna.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
true.... Does that CB have a PA connection on the back? cause mine doesnt
Yea, now I can yell at crackheads and bro hoes....or crackhead bro hoes lol I just need a speaker now
Old 01-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
im just gunna go out on a limb and say i dont think muddy water should have been in your cab but thats just me
Old 01-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
Thanks man Im thinkin about trying a ground wire for the antenna.
Does that antenna's instructions say "no ground required"? I know some Firestiks sort of have their own "groundplane" system-just wondering.
Anyways IMO a good antenna ground is a must and in your case is very easy-a #8 copper wire to the metal body and you're good.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post

nice job!
I gotta get me one of those...
thanks bud
Quote:
Does that antenna's instructions say "no ground required"? I know some Firestiks sort of have their own "groundplane" system-just wondering.
Anyways IMO a good antenna ground is a must and in your case is very easy-a #8 copper wire to the metal body and you're good.
I didnt say anything on the package...or I didnt see it. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeatlanta View Post
im just gunna go out on a limb and say i dont think muddy water should have been in your cab but thats just me
No its not supposed to BUT, it was fun.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
X2 yeah it needs to be grounded. I just would run a wire from your mount to the frame to ground it and you will be fine.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
Good job dude!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:48 AM   #15
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Rus
ruslanus's Tacoma Gallery
That's the same CB I've been looking at. At first I wanted to get the Galaxy 979 but I figure it would be an overkill for my purposes. This radio seems to be pretty decent for the size and price, + I see it a lot on TW = must be good then. I'm just looking to find one on sale
Old 01-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #17
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
how much did it put u in the hole?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #18
Victory is reserved...

Yea I got this one because I want to start going to trail meets and stuff, chit chat on the road so I didn't need anything huge.

It all came out to $97. Tack on another 25 for the SWR meter.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #19

That's cheaper than what we used to pay in the 70syeah I'm old
Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
Victory is reserved...

Lol nothing wrong with age.

But on my way to work today I picked up some engine noise, gonna have to check that out later today.