Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2005 Radio and dealership charge

Old 01-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
sea nymph is on a distinguished road
sea nymph's Tacoma Gallery
2005 Radio and dealership charge

Well the radio in my 2005 DC 4x4 is experiencing the mystery channel surf. So I called the local dealership just to see what they would charge for a "new" (refurbished) one and was told $236.00 + labor. I told them it's an easy swap out and that I would do it myself. They said then tack on another $160.00 and I'll get reimbursed when I bring the old one back.
That got me thinking...........what could really be the problem with the radio and is Toyota really screwing us on an issue that's a simple fix. Will they just take my old one, fix a wire and re-sell for $236.00 or am I being paranoid?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea nymph View Post
Well the radio in my 2005 DC 4x4 is experiencing the mystery channel surf. So I called the local dealership just to see what they would charge for a "new" (refurbished) one and was told $236.00 + labor. I told them it's an easy swap out and that I would do it myself. They said then tack on another $160.00 and I'll get reimbursed when I bring the old one back.
That got me thinking...........what could really be the problem with the radio and is Toyota really screwing us on an issue that's a simple fix. Will they just take my old one, fix a wire and re-sell for $236.00 or am I being paranoid?
I'm sure Toyota will send the old one out and have it repaired. It's probably a common issue that will be fixed very quickly by someone who has seen it before and is equipped to repair it.

Paranoid? You're basically paying to have your current radio repaired but without the downtime involved to send it out and wait for it to come back. This is done with lots of automotive parts. I do appliance repair work and many times the parts are rebuilt with a "core" deposit.

For what it's worth, for the price you are paying you could buy an aftermarket deck and dash kit. I changed just the deck in mine and the factory speakers sound much better now. I was going to change them out and possibly add an amplifier, but I am impressed with how much of a change just the deck alone made for me.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
sea nymph is on a distinguished road
sea nymph's Tacoma Gallery
It is a stock and I am thinking about the aftermarket deck and dash. I was just a little taken back by the additional $160.00 if I didn't return my old one.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
"the mystery channel surf"

...is this a common problem with our radios?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACK View Post
"the mystery channel surf"

...is this a common problem with our radios?
x2 never heard of it either
Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Can buy 3 Factory ones on ebay for that much.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
fratermus is on a distinguished road
Army: 2/9th FA (Pershing II)
fratermus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea nymph View Post
I was just a little taken back by the additional $160.00 if I didn't return my old one.
Core charge, so to speak.

+1 to the aftermarket. Much more bang for the buck.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Yea just get an aftermarket one. It is easy to do.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
N3ZAT will become famous soon enoughN3ZAT will become famous soon enough
Name: Charlie
N3ZAT's Tacoma Gallery
I went through 4 stock radios with toyota they are all junk can not be fixed i finally received a check for 420.00 to purchase after market radio.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3ZAT View Post
I went through 4 stock radios with toyota they are all junk can not be fixed i finally received a check for 420.00 to purchase after market radio.
Were they able to reproduce the problem when you took it in? Mine is so random that they had no luck reproducing the problem and will not replace it on my word alone.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...html?highlight=