Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thule 422XT Xsporter Bed Rack.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
A real Rocknrolla.
AAWO12 is on a distinguished road

AAWO12's Tacoma Gallery
Thule 422XT Xsporter Bed Rack.

I've seen some videos online and heard some thoughts about the Thule 422XT Xsporter. Some said the noise was noticeably annoying, but most everyone said the cost was absurd but aside from cost, what do you, the owners, think of this bed rack?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:19 AM   #2
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I use them like this......

and like this...........

I don't know what noise people would expect not to hear on the frwy hauling shit like this but IMO they aren't any kind of crazy noisy. They will haul up to 450 lbs of whatever you wanna put on them although I wouldn't want 450 lbs that high up. They're cool heavy duty racks that are good for any kind of long shit you may need to haul. I just have them on when using them, they don't stay there all the time. EZ on, EZ off. Locking. Cable lock them to the d-rings if need be. All kind of uses. Cost is up there but isn't crazy compared to other racks for bikes and different things.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
A real Rocknrolla.

AAWO12's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome.

Thanks. Those pictures were great as well.

The noise I was referring to was when there wasn't anything loaded on top of the rack, do you hear anything like that or it might be that their mount was loose or something else.

Cheers.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
A real Rocknrolla.

AAWO12's Tacoma Gallery
Also, how did you secure the bike/s?
Via handle bars in the front and dare I say rear wheel in the back?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAWO12 View Post
Also, how did you secure the bike/s?
Via handle bars in the front and dare I say rear wheel in the back?
OK, I do see how they could bump around without any load on them. They do have just enough to make that clunk I guess. I don't roll like that but if you try to put them down lower they will tighten up against the bed sides and won't go down all the way because of the shape of our bed walls. The bike is secured in pics with motorcycle straps on brake levers by handlebars using bed rail cleats up front on both sides so it fits under the rack. Usually the bike goes without front wheel using rocky mount clutch in the front bed rail................BTW, your truck looks badass, diggin the drk grn/tan, always have.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
dep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
dep3091's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't updated my pics yet but I have a roof rack mounted on my Xsporter and it sits just above the back window and mostly below the roof line.

I plan to mount my Thule bike racks on each side of the roof rack, but I'm gonna have to mod something myself as the cross bars are bigger than normal roof cross bars.

Also, I plan on cutting holes in my bed where the vertical bars meet the bed. As it sits right now, I can't move the rack all the way down.

I totally recommend the rack and the aluminum looks sweet. My wife even likes the look and she doesn't generally care for vehicle stuff.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
ohbrothers is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Flight Corpsman
ohbrothers's Tacoma Gallery
Had them and LOVED them! Sold the truck (NISMO Nissan), should have kept the racks.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
dep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddep3091 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
dep3091's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
OK, I do see how they could bump around without any load on them. They do have just enough to make that clunk I guess. I don't roll like that but if you try to put them down lower they will tighten up against the bed sides and won't go down all the way because of the shape of our bed walls. The bike is secured in pics with motorcycle straps on brake levers by handlebars using bed rail cleats up front on both sides so it fits under the rack. Usually the bike goes without front wheel using rocky mount clutch in the front bed rail................BTW, your truck looks badass, diggin the drk grn/tan, always have.
I cut holes in my bed and it goes all the way down now...
Old 04-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
ACE808 is on a distinguished road
Name: DDS
ACE808's Tacoma Gallery
I have these racks and they r the best. Lots of people here in Hawaii use it for their surfboards and ladders.

Only bad part if rack is when your going fast on the freeway or high way it makes a medium to high pitch noise. Sounds like when your brake pads r worn down and u brake hard on it. It's due to the knotches for the height adjustments. Other then that it dies it's job really well.

Alohaz
Old 04-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #10

Law Enforcement:
dep3091's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE808 View Post
I have these racks and they r the best. Lots of people here in Hawaii use it for their surfboards and ladders.

Only bad part if rack is when your going fast on the freeway or high way it makes a medium to high pitch noise. Sounds like when your brake pads r worn down and u brake hard on it. It's due to the knotches for the height adjustments. Other then that it dies it's job really well.

Alohaz
If you don't adjust the height very frequently, tape the notches with black duct tape. It matches the trim of the rack.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have had no issues with rack noise.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Noisy! Until you get the rubber strips like on 2nd Gen roofs to seal the track on the rack. Also they make plastic pieces to cover up the holes on the uprights. After that, no more whistle.
I also had to put 3/4" square tubing behind my bedrails to allow it to drop to lowest position!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Rotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud of

Rotorpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Dep3091-
got any pics of where you cut your bed for the rack to go down??
Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a few pics of where I cut mine, I'll post some up once I get home. As far as noise goes Thule supplies you with rubber strips that eliminates the whistling sound.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
Rotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud of

nice!
lets see em'
Old 12-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #16

bumpity bump bump

want to see those pics of the holes you guys cut in your bed...
Old 12-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #17

anyone?
Old 12-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Ok here are a few pics of where i cut mine. As you can tell i wasn't worried about looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Thule 422XT Xsporter Bed Rack.-dsc00385.jpg   Thule 422XT Xsporter Bed Rack.-dsc00386.jpg   Thule 422XT Xsporter Bed Rack.-dsc00387.jpg   Thule 422XT Xsporter Bed Rack.-dsc00389.jpg   Thule 422XT Xsporter Bed Rack.-dsc00425.jpg  

Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #19
destro is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
destro's Tacoma Gallery
Xsporter Rack

Hi- Did you need to cut the bed rail for the rack, or did you just go over the rail and then click into the bed channel?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #20
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The rack legs were cut to be able to lower it in the pics and another guy took the bedrails off and put sq tubing between the bed and bedrails to move the rack legs further inside where they don't hit the sides of the bed instead of cutting the legs shorter. I will be doing neither since I only use them in the over the cab position.