Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Running Boards: Suggestions, Feeback, What do you have?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
B2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Brian
B2BTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Running Boards: Suggestions, Feeback, What do you have?

Hello Hello.

I need to start this thread for some much needed feeback on running boards. I'm looking in to the Romik Running Boards seen here: http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com...2005-2009.aspx

They are different than side steps or traditional nerf bars. They look like sliders with a plate in the middle and I like that. I do not want sliders. I like the way they look. Especially the All Pro and Avid off roads. However, the avid's don't stick out far enough for a step and the All Pro require too much drilling (which I don't want to do). I don't need sliders because I'm not off road much, except in the summer and when I am it's not tough trails where sliders would be beneficial. I like the look of these and they give me what I need, some dent protection and a step.

What do y'all think? I'd like some feedback if you have these runners, if you know something about them (positive or negative of course) and your suggestions. Also, pictures are welcome with whatever you have on your rig.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Based on the similar look of those in the link, I would go with the OEM running boards.

I have them on my truck and they are tight to the rockers and have a streamlined look.

I'll see if I can get some pics up for you.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Ex STi enthusiast www.iwsti.com
Aod will become famous soon enoughAod will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
Name: B.
Aod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryWi View Post
Based on the similar look of those in the link, I would go with the OEM running boards.

I have them on my truck and they are tight to the rockers and have a streamlined look.

I'll see if I can get some pics up for you.
x2
Old 01-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Here are the pics. You can find them for around 250 -$300.00.

Running Boards: Suggestions, Feeback, What do you have?-dscf1131.jpg

Running Boards: Suggestions, Feeback, What do you have?-dscf1135.jpg

Running Boards: Suggestions, Feeback, What do you have?-dscf1133.jpg
Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the running boards (my kids were falling out of the truck at school and crawling in)

I couldn't suggest anything else. They fit awesome.. They bolt straight into welded nuts already in the body and they have the same pattern as the bed rail cap. Sturdy as hell too. I keep noticing how crappy other peoples generic westin etc stuff is. They don't fit in form or function.

Tube steps? ... they were a fad. Cheap to make, easy to sell; think people are finally about over em. They were supposed to look rugged, but now everyone knows different. They're just slippery. But compared to generic running boards, they install a lot nicer.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
No pontoons on my truck thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
4banger is a glorious beacon of light4banger is a glorious beacon of light4banger is a glorious beacon of light4banger is a glorious beacon of light4banger is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Charlie
4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-NB View Post
No pontoons on my truck thanks!

get some sliders, running board are a
Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
BartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of light
BartStar's Tacoma Gallery
one advantage with running boards, tube steps, nerf bars that nobody talks about is the advantage of protecting the body from door dings, in parking lots. people park next to you open their door against the side body of your truck, their door will hit your running boards instead of touching your truck body. Or if someone backs out parked next to you, maybe you won't find your door smashed in.
Happened to me about 5 years ago, I had a 05 F150 parked at a local shopping center, when I came out there was a police car blocking me in with its lights flashing, police officer asked me, "is this your truck sir?", I said "yes", he said it was involved in an accident, and i need you license and registation, and insurance, I looked at my truck, no damage, just some minor scratches to my right Westin Signature Series black tube bars, a woman that owns an older Chevy Corica had the left front fender almost torn off with the fender caved in against the front wheel.
She backed out, her fender hit my tube bars, didn't damage them or bend them and protected my truck from damage, I informed the police officer I am not going to make any insurance or damage claim and 'm leaving, the woman with the damaged car went crazy, saying I have to pay for her car, I pointed at her and laughed at her and informed her about no fault insurance, and her insurance will take care of her car, the police officer agreed with me. But you should have seen her car, it was almost totaled and my truck, no damage!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #11

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStar View Post
one advantage with running boards, tube steps, nerf bars that nobody talks about is the advantage of protecting the body from door dings, in parking lots. people park next to you open their door against the side body of your truck, their door will hit your running boards instead of touching your truck body. Or if someone backs out parked next to you, maybe you won't find your door smashed in.
Happened to me about 5 years ago, I had a 05 F150 parked at a local shopping center, when I came out there was a police car blocking me in with its lights flashing, police officer asked me, "is this your truck sir?", I said "yes", he said it was involved in an accident, and i need you license and registation, and insurance, I looked at my truck, no damage, just some minor scratches to my right Westin Signature Series black tube bars, a woman that owns an older Chevy Corica had the left front fender almost torn off with the fender caved in against the front wheel.
She backed out, her fender hit my tube bars, didn't damage them or bend them and protected my truck from damage, I informed the police officer I am not going to make any insurance or damage claim and 'm leaving, the woman with the damaged car went crazy, saying I have to pay for her car, I pointed at her and laughed at her and informed her about no fault insurance, and her insurance will take care of her car, the police officer agreed with me. But you should have seen her car, it was almost totaled and my truck, no damage!
Great point I forgot to mention. That was a big part of it for me as well
Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
B2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of light

B2BTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the feeback gentlemen. I appreciate it. Colton, those runners actually look pretty good. The black would look nice on my silver tacoma. I'm just not sure if that's the exact "look" I'm going for. I know I don't want the crome. It just doesn't fit my truck. I like the Romik ones becuase they look like sliders with a plate welded in. I want the look of the sliders but I'm afraid they can't function as a step. I'm gonna email avid off road and see if they can't fab some up for me. Some a little wider. The OEM runners are ok but I just don't like the "stuck on" look ya know? I want something different. Everybody seems to roll off the sales lot with those things. Not knockin' em at all...just not for me.

Anyway, keep it coming. Thanks for the pictures too...some nice rides in this place.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #14

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2BTaco View Post
Brywi: Those look like something I could be interested in. What brand are they?? Any site recommendations?
Those are OEMs.

Here's the link from one place to get them, but I would do some searching. You may be able to save a few bucks

http://www.toyotapartsstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_313&products_id=8444
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #15
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/129152/cat/500][/url]

Here's some Go Rhino Dominator II in stainless-lifetime warranty against rust.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #16
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2 on the door dings. The running boards stick out just enough to protect from most low car dings.

Shopping carts just slide under and get ya anyway.. but its something. I added mid door rubber molding painted to match. Not terribly sexy.. but .. cheap insurance from making my car... look .. probably no worse than it does with moldings..
Old 01-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #17
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
square tube sliders make nice steps...

Old 01-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #18
Me l've got brains.

HAd em on my jeep.. but how do they do for mounting? Would you really jack under them? Not that I would my running boards.. But most sliders I see like that are fakey sliders...
Old 01-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #19
4banger is a glorious beacon of light4banger is a glorious beacon of light4banger is a glorious beacon of light4banger is a glorious beacon of light4banger is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Charlie
4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
square tube sliders make nice steps...

thank you sir for having some class in a room full of chrome. Hell the world can open its door into them things they aint goin nowhere. Now to prepare for the
Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #20
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
HAd em on my jeep.. but how do they do for mounting? Would you really jack under them? Not that I would my running boards.. But most sliders I see like that are fakey sliders...