1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Holy Snow

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Stanley, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    this was from last week's strom. more headed thursday night, looking to be at least another 6 inches. Its so far been a wonderful winter in RI.
    bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDExMjIw_2f6aed816e3d2003269ef95a553985df7593c2b0.jpg

2. Jan 19, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    I wasn't able to get out yesterday due to work. I'm off at 3 today and will be at Keystone for the remnants of todays new powder. It is dumping at 6:30am.:cool:
    [​IMG]

3. Jan 19, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I have enough of this winter. Its snowing every 3 days. Yesterday was snow/ice/rain which made everything turn into ice skating ring. Went to home depot to buy some sand with my LC, on my way back I found a minivan with rear tires in the ditch and the rest of it blocking the road. Nice guy with two kids on board.
    Pulled him out of the ditch then pulled him up the hill to his house. :D
    All that and I did not even had to engage lockers. People with 2wd should definitely stay home in weather like that.
    I think my Son had the best comment,
    "Are we really pulling him ?"
    me: "Yep"
    "Up the hill?"
    Me:"yep"
    "Why, is it slippery?"
    Me:"yep"
    Mind you road was pure ice covered by slush. :D LC dragged itself and 3000 LB + minivan up the hill like it was not big deal.

My LC has Wrangler MT/R's which had proven themselves in snow/ice many times. Best tires for winter.

4. Jan 19, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    COACHPPARK

COACHPPARK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JC
    ST. PETERSBURG
    Vehicle:
    2024 CELESTIAL SILVER METALLIC TRD SPORT
    TINTED ALL WINDOWS, SOME GRILLE BADGES,
    YEAH ENJOYING MY WINTERS HERE NOOOOOOOOO SNOW AND CAN STILL WALK THE BEACH

5. Jan 19, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    A little snow here in Nebr this year we had what the North East has last year I hate winter its the dirtiest time of the year.

6. Jan 19, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    heh... I have not washed my truck since I moved to colorado 2 months ago. Theres no point.

7. Jan 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    Rushbrook

Rushbrook Well-Known Member

Member:
    I like it in spurts. A few inches, play in it, melt, a few more a few weeks later, play in it, melt, and so on. that's about what we've had so far in WV/KY (i'm on the border). More coming tomorrow.

My girl's a teacher in KY and her county is so rural that they close school for almost nothing, and it stays closed until everything melts in the hollows. They were out for a week before christmas, went back Jan 3rd for a couple days, then it snowed again around the 5th and they only just yesterday went back. And we're talking like..4 inches of snow during the worst of this span. It's ridiculous how much she's off..LOL

8. Jan 19, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    64Wildcat

64Wildcat Black Jeep of the family

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    Nice legs Dave! ;)
    This morning was nice, gotta love the ice!

9. Jan 19, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    :eek: I went to get the paper and when I turned around to come back my wife was on the porch with the camera. I try to get the paper in shorts and a tee every day, year round. I really don't know why. Sometimes I cheat and put on a sweatshirt.

10. Jan 20, 2011 at 1:08 AM
    Stanley

Stanley [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Breckenridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Silver
    Debadge, 5% Tint, Kolbalt Low Pro Tool Box, Satoshi, Ebay Black Headlights, 3000k Fogs With Yellow Stain glass Paint, Fog Anytime, Mag Light Mount, Husky Floor Liners, OME 3inch With 885's, Add Leaf, 16inch Steelies, 305/70/16 Dick Cepek Mud Countries, Tiregate Bed Mount, Sock Monkey Badges
    i had the brakes lock up from the chemicals they put on the road on my old SUV. had to get new rotors. i occasionally rinse my shit off during the winter. by the way we will have to hit some trails this summer once my lift is on

11. Jan 20, 2011 at 1:41 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    LOL yeah living in Breck without a garage or covered parking, and especially without plow service blows. It's fun to shovel and snowblow yourself for a winter or two, but with 250" a winter, it gets old quick ... especially when you get big dumps like that, and still have to dig out and get to work on time. Ski towns are an awesome place to visit, a hard place to live. Do it while you're young. As for this old dog, I've made my place in the mountains on the other side of the divide .. all the beauty, half the snow and a hell of a lot cheaper and quieter.

12. Jan 20, 2011 at 1:52 AM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Yeah it's worth it to spray the undercarriage and remove the mag chloride and salt buildup from time to time, even though a week later you'll just be back in it up there. If you do park outside (or in covered unheated parking), you will reduce the potential for corrosion ... it's when the chassis gets above 20 degrees or so that the potential for corrosion really kicks in with that stuff. Make sure you use high pressure preferably heated water too as mag chloride mixtures contain a bonding agent, so it really sticks to vehicles, making it that much harder to remove. But you don't want too much of a cake to develop if you can help it.

CDOT will tell you mag chloride is much less corrosive than salt. Mechanics beg to differ. Check this - http://www.postindependent.com/article/20061215/VALLEYNEWS/112150039. As Stanley discovered, it is hell on brakes and rotors.

13. Jan 20, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    We dont have Mag Chloride here in summit county. It all aggregate because its generally to cold for any chemicals to work.

14. Jan 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    Thank you, Lord, that I live in Florida. Our high is only 70 today and I had to put on a jacket to keep warm.

15. Jan 20, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Yep, they only use mag chloride down in Denver.

16. Jan 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    Eman5pt0

Eman5pt0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    NY
    niccccce we have had like a few feet this month .. i looove snow, sposed to get more tonight

17. Jan 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    rmd0311

rmd0311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    Forget snow., I' tired of it. The kids have gotten 3 snow days in a 2 week period. They are gonna burn out the 5 days they put aside for it with the quickness. After that, they start tapping into winter break.

This was last week...

[​IMG]

18. Jan 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    That's actually not true. Traditional mag chloride mixes of up to 30% solution work down to 16 degrees F. There is now a new "cold modified" mag chloride solution containing a corn derived byproduct that greatly improves mag chloride efficiency, working well below 15 degrees road temp. CDOT also now employs a new solid mix called "Ice Slicer" that also contains mag chloride as a component, but is primarily used as a traction device at intersections and on curves, increasingly replacing the traditional use of aggregates on state controlled highways. Mag chloride and variants are used in plenty of high mountain areas beyond the Front Range.

http://www.coloradodot.info/news/20...rols-west-of-denver-ready-for-start-of-winter

It is true that Summit County, along with Basalt, Aspen, and a few other areas did ban the original liquid mag chloride mixes back in 2004 claiming it killed trees along roadsides, but they have been in constant battle with CDOT's claimed right to use on state and federally controlled highways ever since. And with aggregate products now coming online that include mag chloride, I can guarantee that unless you stay on city and county controlled roads in Summit, chances are you are running into plenty of mag chloride.

I have calls into CDOT and Summit County to confirm usage ... I'll report what I hear.

Products Discussed in

To Top