Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How are you fixing the air intake rubbing/ vibration noise?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
PeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud of

PeteH's Tacoma Gallery
How are you fixing the air intake rubbing/ vibration noise?

Hi,
As of last saturday, I am the proud new owner of an 07 Tacoma DC,TRDsport. I noticed on monday morning that there was an annoying rubbing/vibration sound coming from the front passengers side of the engine compartment. After doing a search here it seems that the noise could be coming from either the air intake where it goes into the inner fender or the y- pipe after the cats being loose.
I have checked both areas myself and found the springs and nuts on the exhaust to be very tight and soild. The air intake has some slight movement due to being rubber mounted but overall, it seems tight. I still think the sound is coming from the air intake area so my plan is to remove the air intake and see if the noise goes away. If it is the intake, what are you doing to eliminate the noise?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
07TaCo07 is on a distinguished road
07TaCo07's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was doing that too. I just took out the plastic piece going into the fender and no noise
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
PeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud of

PeteH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TaCo07 View Post
Mine was doing that too. I just took out the plastic piece going into the fender and no noise

Thanks,
I hate to think that the only way to eliminate this rattle is to leave off factory pieces though. Has anyone tried something other than the foam insulating stuff the factory uses?
I thought about cutting a piece of 3/8 fuel line to length then splitting it down the middle and fitting the hose around the opening.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
My intake does that and I used duct tape kinda wraped the end of my filter and it works another use for duct tape
Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
07TaCo07 is on a distinguished road
07TaCo07's Tacoma Gallery
I tried the fuel line around the hole and the rattle still there. So annoying
Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
Honey your two French Fries short of a Happy Meal.
eight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
eight3one_offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eight3one_offroad
Mine does it too, I think its just the high volume of air the intake is gulping... vibrates everything when you step on it!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
I put a strip of weatherstripping around the intake where it meets the fender-problem solved.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
street taco
metric310 is on a distinguished road
Name: Alejandro
metric310's Tacoma Gallery
i bought a urd intake, not it doesn't rub :-)
Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 AM   #9
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I used foam double sided tape. I wraped the foam tape around the intake tube where it contacts the fender.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #10

PeteH's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tips.
I have an appt. scheduled for next tuesday to have this looked at but I think I may be better off fixing it myself and saving the trip to the dealership which is 40 min. away.
Other than more foam and a softer plastic, are there any differences between the old stlye intake and the new, updated, intake?

edit:
For those who did the D.I.Y. fix, what size (width, thickness) weatherstripping did you use?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #11
fjm0008 has a spectacular aura aboutfjm0008 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jack
fjm0008's Tacoma Gallery
I fixed mine yesterday. I removed the two bolts for the washer fluid reservoir and used a screwdriver to stuff in some foam packing material all the way around the intake. I tore off some 2 inch long by 1 inch wide pieces and worked around the intake. Started it up this morning in the cold weather and no more grumbling vibrations. It is a very easy fix, don't pay the dealer to do it.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #12
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
I put a strip of weatherstripping around the intake where it meets the fender-problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by db67fm View Post
I used foam double sided tape. I wraped the foam tape around the intake tube where it contacts the fender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjm0008 View Post
I fixed mine yesterday. I removed the two bolts for the washer fluid reservoir and used a screwdriver to stuff in some foam packing material all the way around the intake. I tore off some 2 inch long by 1 inch wide pieces and worked around the intake. Started it up this morning in the cold weather and no more grumbling vibrations. It is a very easy fix, don't pay the dealer to do it.
I had the TSB done & it still rattled so I did my own fix as described above taking off the washer resi.
No more rattle & agreed the dealer didn't fix it the first time, certainly would not pay or bring it back for it.
It drove me crazy in cold temps. Weatherstripping all around=no more rattle.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #13
When all else fails read the directions
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 18F-5th SFG
Name: Him
joerussell610's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacooon View Post
My intake does that and I used duct tape kinda wraped the end of my filter and it works another use for duct tape
Brother thats not duct tape. We call it ALABAMA CHROME
Old 01-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Fixed mine last weekend. Remove the ducting and wrap some foam tape around the portion that seats in the fender. The foam will dampen any vibrations between the plastic ducting and the metal fender.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #15

PeteH's Tacoma Gallery
Fixed it. Got a roll of 1/4 x 3/4 foam tape for $3.99 and re-wrapped the intake where it enters the inner fender. Problem solved!
Thanks to all for the tips
Old 10-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
4x4Taco2012's Tacoma Gallery
Recently had this same problem on my '07 4Runner. The foam also solved my problem.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
forealz is on a distinguished road
forealz's Tacoma Gallery
Any chance any of you could include a picture of the weatherstripping on the intake? (after you did the mod/fix)

Did you remove the foam first?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
Bronco76 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Michael
Bronco76's Tacoma Gallery
I wrapped the opening in the fender with clear tubing without it stopping the noise. Now to see if foam tape around the inner fender intake piece.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #19
forealz is on a distinguished road
forealz's Tacoma Gallery
Any chance any of you could include a picture of the weatherstripping on the intake? (after you did the mod/fix)

Did you remove the foam first?