1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS switch and A-trac, same time?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by keys, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Jan 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    keys

keys [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Just picked up my trd off road double cab MGM two weeks ago. I had an 85 back in the day that I put 264k miles on and now I'm back and happy as ever. Had an 86 too but only 100k put on personally the solid axle on the 85 just screamed punish me and I had much more fun with it. So I have a question. I've been around the forums for quite awhile lurking and reading up on things before I bought, but I couldn't find any info on this. I want to do the mod where you can switch off the ABS because it just blows in the mud and PA snow, but does this kill the A-trac since it works with the abs. I've found threads that say you can only do the mod on trucks that have trac, but none on this. Stopping better in the mud would be great but at the cost of a-trac is it worth it? I supposed you can just turn the abs back on when you need the a-trac but don't you have to turn the truck off and back on to get the abs back on. I can see that being a issue in some place, shutting the truck off that is. Thanks

On a side note got my weathertechs this morning and installed them. My first mod! WO are ordered but 3 week lead time ouch. Want to keep the truck at least somewhat clean so those were the first things I opted to do because if I like it as much as the others I've had I'll be keeping it until the wheels fall off. Hopefully they don't fall off by my own doing. Still wavering on which 3 inch lift, sliders, and front/rear bumper to get. Damn I thought I kicked this toyota habit back in 94 when I sold my 85. 2k income tax check coming soon mmmmm yeah.

2. Jan 19, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    keys

keys [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    If I lock the rear end it disable the abs? Didn't know that but that won't help much with abs creating greater stopping distances because if I'm in 4lo and only going 5mph stopping shouldn't be much of an issue even with abs.

3. Jan 20, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    keys

keys [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    I was talking about A-trac. Basically I was thinking something like this. I'm wheeling around in 4hi with the abs disable switch mod on turning the abs off so I can actually stop. I get into a spot where I need 4lo and A-trac. I turn the abs switch back on so the A-trac will work, BUT I have to shut the truck off and restart it to get the abs and A-trac to turn back on just flipping the switch back on won't do it to my understanding. I can see times where it might not be the wisest thing to do shutting the truck off and trying to restart it. Does that make more sense? If your in a spot where you need 4Lo and A-trac it's probably not the best place to be shutting the truck down and restarting it I would think.

Products Discussed in

To Top