Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ABS switch and A-trac, same time?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
keys is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
keys's Tacoma Gallery
ABS switch and A-trac, same time?

Just picked up my trd off road double cab MGM two weeks ago. I had an 85 back in the day that I put 264k miles on and now I'm back and happy as ever. Had an 86 too but only 100k put on personally the solid axle on the 85 just screamed punish me and I had much more fun with it. So I have a question. I've been around the forums for quite awhile lurking and reading up on things before I bought, but I couldn't find any info on this. I want to do the mod where you can switch off the ABS because it just blows in the mud and PA snow, but does this kill the A-trac since it works with the abs. I've found threads that say you can only do the mod on trucks that have trac, but none on this. Stopping better in the mud would be great but at the cost of a-trac is it worth it? I supposed you can just turn the abs back on when you need the a-trac but don't you have to turn the truck off and back on to get the abs back on. I can see that being a issue in some place, shutting the truck off that is. Thanks

On a side note got my weathertechs this morning and installed them. My first mod! WO are ordered but 3 week lead time ouch. Want to keep the truck at least somewhat clean so those were the first things I opted to do because if I like it as much as the others I've had I'll be keeping it until the wheels fall off. Hopefully they don't fall off by my own doing. Still wavering on which 3 inch lift, sliders, and front/rear bumper to get. Damn I thought I kicked this toyota habit back in 94 when I sold my 85. 2k income tax check coming soon mmmmm yeah.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I believe disabling ABS would disable ATRAC. You can always lock the rear end which disables ABS but ATRAC will continue to work until about 3 or 5 MPH with the rear locked.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
So, ATRAC kicks off over 5mph with the rear locked?
Yeah. It is either 3 or 5 MPH. When you don't have the rear locked it works at any MPH.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
keys's Tacoma Gallery
If I lock the rear end it disable the abs? Didn't know that but that won't help much with abs creating greater stopping distances because if I'm in 4lo and only going 5mph stopping shouldn't be much of an issue even with abs.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by keys View Post
If I lock the rear end it disable the abs? Didn't know that but that won't help much with abs creating greater stopping distances because if I'm in 4lo and only going 5mph stopping shouldn't be much of an issue even with abs.
ATRAC only works in low as well. You said you didn't want to lose ATRAC functionality so I figured you were in low already. Are you talking about TRAC?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
keys's Tacoma Gallery
I was talking about A-trac. Basically I was thinking something like this. I'm wheeling around in 4hi with the abs disable switch mod on turning the abs off so I can actually stop. I get into a spot where I need 4lo and A-trac. I turn the abs switch back on so the A-trac will work, BUT I have to shut the truck off and restart it to get the abs and A-trac to turn back on just flipping the switch back on won't do it to my understanding. I can see times where it might not be the wisest thing to do shutting the truck off and trying to restart it. Does that make more sense? If your in a spot where you need 4Lo and A-trac it's probably not the best place to be shutting the truck down and restarting it I would think.