1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A.R.E. Z series shell. Opinions please

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by ERdept, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Aug 26, 2008 at 10:04 PM
    ERdept

ERdept [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm torn between the Snug Top, Super Sport & the A.R.E. Z series shells.

Any takes on these two models specifically?

I know there are threads generally on ARE vx Snug, but they seem too general since both makers have shells of differing quality levels depending on your market niche (aka what you can afford).

I could have a shell from both for a little over $1000, but both offer shells nearing $2000 with all the options.

2. Aug 27, 2008 at 12:21 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I'm very happy with the quality in workmanship with my A.R.E. The locking mechanism locks with steel bars. Even though I just have their fiberglass tonneau cover. I have had mine for 3 years; paint still looks nice, no chips. Locking mechanism still works like it did when it was new.

3. Aug 27, 2008 at 8:47 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I narrowed things down to the Snugtop XV and the ARE Z Series. The closest Snugtop dealer is 6 miles from my house, while the closest ARE dealer is about 130 miles away. The quote for the Snugtop shell with options came in about $400 more than the ARE shell, so I took that to the local guy and got him to bring his price down by $350, and that pretty much sealed the deal for me. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but it helps to shop around. I tried all the Snugtop and ARE dealers in the state, and the prices were all over the place, so they definitely have some flexibility in price. I should be getting my Snugtop next week, so I'll post some pictures once it's in.

4. Aug 27, 2008 at 9:20 AM
    riftsawn

riftsawn Active Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab
    I can't speak specifically to the models your talking about. But I have had an ARE Rocky Mountian Edition cap on my Chevy for close to 15 years now. About a year ago the paint began to crack on the topper, so I sent a picture to ARE. That day they called me back, and told me to drop it off at a dealer of my choice, and they would order me a brand new shell. No hastle no BS they truly stand behind their stuff for life.

5. Aug 27, 2008 at 11:21 PM
    ERdept

ERdept [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    WOW! Glad to hear good stories.

Thanks so much, I ordered the Z, and it should be here in 3 weeks. I'll get a camera by then and finally post pics of my mods and shell.

Thanks to this forum b.t.w.

Products Discussed in

To Top