1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grille Decision - Satoshi or '11?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Richard Cranium, Jan 20, 2011.

?

Make your call...

Poll closed Oct 16, 2013.
  1. Satoshi!

136 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. 2011 Grille!

112 vote(s)
    37.8%
  3. Rock the 2011 grille then Satoshi it!

30 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. Other (discuss)

18 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Jan 20, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium [OP] The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D

I'm getting rid of the chrome no matter what I do. I don't want to paint the chrome and have to hassle around with keeping it looking okay, as TugBoat mentioned. The chrome will more than likely find it's way to ebay regardless of what choice I make.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jan 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium [OP] The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
  3. Jan 20, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    keys

keys Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    I'm thinking of doing a grill craft on my 2011. On there install directions on the website it doesn't show any cutting though like for the older models. I haven't taken mine apart to check yet. I'm assuming you had yours apart by your wording. Cut or no cut? Does the bar just unbolt now? Can you see all the honeycomb behind the grillcraft?

4. Jan 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    Nick Sells

Nick Sells Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elgin, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I say satoshi just because I saw the same grill pattern on a ford sport track I think it was maybe a Ranger satoshi is really only common on here the 2011 style is going to be everywhere .

5. Jan 20, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    I plan on doing the same thing... My 2011 Color Matched Grille is on its way.

Either way, I only have to live with the chrome for 1 more week:D

6. Jan 20, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    SeniorSpan

SeniorSpan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD DCSB OR
    keys,

I wanted a color matched grill for my 2011, so I ordered and received one and got to work. Yes, you have to cut the the large center bar out. The Grille Craft grille will then fit like putting on a glove. Depending on the size of the mesh of the grille you are installing, in my case the Grille Craft, yes you can see the honey comb. I proceeded to cut the honey comb out as well. This takes some time as it's connected to the grille assy in many places. It's not hard, just takes some time. Then, depending how detailed you want to be you can go back and clean up any stubs left standing where you cut the bar and honey comb away.

If you have followed the threads on TW regarding Satoshi grilles you will quickly notice the depth of your 2011 is much less than the 2005-2010 grilles

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bob

7. Jan 20, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    mickyd9990

mickyd9990 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    marc
    ri
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma off road
    Just put on my 2011 from dave at town and country. I love it

8. Jan 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    imtwistd

imtwistd Going nowhere as fast as possible

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab long bed sport 4x4 beast
    AllPro offroad front LT with Fox 2.5 shox and AllPro expedtion rear springs with Fox piggy back res shox, TRD skid plate, Toyota roof rack, Undercover tonnuea cover, Pro comp 3" lift, 4 Pro comp 8" offroad lights, 17" XD Series "SPY", Nfab tube steps and light bar, Fitch Fuel, Flexalite fan, Unichip, URD cai, TRD supercharger, URD y-pipe, Banks monster cat back, debadged, projection head lighs, LED tail lights and a loud stereo, Stainless Steel Brake Lines front and rear, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Walboro 255 fuel pump, KC rock guards on my Pro Comp 8" lights
    Go Satoshi, stock sucks. I'd put a Satoshi on my truck but my URD CAI air filter sits right behind the grill.:D

9. Jan 20, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    elusive element! those are sick!!!

10. Jan 20, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    keys

keys Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    @seniorspan

if its less space is there still room to mount lights behind the grill craft? that was my plan. I like the look it gives through the grill. 5 inches of snow here so waiting on a decent day to rip into it before I order anything but if you just did it then it will save me some time. Thanks

11. Jan 20, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    SeniorSpan

SeniorSpan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD DCSB OR
    keys,

If I understand your question: the 2011 grille assy itself has less depth than the 2005-2010 grille assys. With the grille assy installed, the space behind the 2011 grille ( grille to radiator) appears to be about the same as other year 2nd generation Tacos; therefore the space behind the grille should be more that adequate to mount lights.

If I'm making the water more muddy I'll try to get some pictures on Fri and get them posted.

Cheers

Bob

12. Jan 21, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    keys

keys Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    that answered my question. thanks

13. Jan 21, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    396tears

396tears Well-Known Member

Member:
    always say NO

to satoshi grills and black wheels

14. Jan 21, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    Apparently I am not the only one buying a new 2011 color matched grille-

I just got of the phone with Toyotapartsbarn (where I ordered my grille). They said they were having a hard time tracking down the 2011. They have had a rush of orders and can only locate 3 in the entire country :eek:. They said it should get here next week and they will ship it out as soon as it comes in.

I am having dejavu all over again. I went through hell and back getting FJ Special Edition wheels, I hope I don't have to do the same for the Grille either.

15. Jan 21, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    I'm in the exact same boat. I'm leaning towards the '11 grill though. I like the look. To me, the satoshi looks like the truck is being turned into a rice-burner.

16. Jan 31, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    the 2011 sure is smexi!! :D

17. Feb 6, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    I'm partial to the Satoshi.
    I like a smaller mesh
    Never cared for the Grill Crossbars
    Never cared for the Toyota Insignia

EDIT: But the 2011 is Waaay Easier

18. Feb 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    ARC

ARC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11, TRD 4X4, 6SPD
    I want to get rid of the chrome for my '11, and doing a color match with the Grillcraft. Does anyone know if the older grills will will mount in the 2011?

19. Feb 6, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    This is speculation about the '11, not fact
    '05 thru '10 have identical mounts,
    Two screws at top
    Two snap-in clips (one on each side) at bottom
    And a post that sits in a hole at the bottom center.
    Can't see that they'd change the mounting if they haven't changed the body style.
    Someone will confirm for ya, I'm sure

20. Feb 6, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    The 2011 grille is same as 2010 so the 2005-2010 should fit your 2011. It took about 15 min to change out grilles on my truck. Hope this helps.

Products Discussed in

To Top