Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cobra 18 wx st II, thoughts ?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
rm2092 is a splendid one to beholdrm2092 is a splendid one to beholdrm2092 is a splendid one to beholdrm2092 is a splendid one to beholdrm2092 is a splendid one to beholdrm2092 is a splendid one to beholdrm2092 is a splendid one to behold

rm2092's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to rm2092
Cobra 18 wx st II, thoughts ?

Let me start by saying I'm a newbe to the cb's so I have been looking at the Cobra 18 for it's size since I do not have alot of room in my truck. I was thinking on placing it under the center of the dash in the tray. So what I'm looking for are your thoughts and reviews on this cb unit and then on intenna's my friend says in order to get any reach I need a 8-1/2 foot wip and stay away from the firestick. Again your thoughts and reviews or suggestions would be great thanks. Yes I have searched all the threads on here.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running the 18 with a lil wilson mag mount and I'm very happy with it. I have mine "stuffed" in between the drivers seat and the center console, it's like it was made to fit there. There are better radios out there but I would buy it again. I didn't have much luck with my firestik. The lil wilson is alot better antenna and super easy to install. I had my system installed in about 5 minutes.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
rm2092 is a splendid one to beholdrm2092 is a splendid one to beholdrm2092 is a splendid one to beholdrm2092 is a splendid one to beholdrm2092 is a splendid one to beholdrm2092 is a splendid one to beholdrm2092 is a splendid one to behold

rm2092's Tacoma Gallery
can you post a pic LUSETACO ?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
^Does that ever bother you while driving. The spot its at looks like it could potentially get annoying after awhile.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
I have one. Installed it and after one week pulled it out. Pretty good radio my only problem with it was during the day its very hard to see the display because of the black shinny faceplate. Also it does not have a swr meter on it. If youre set on this radio I will sell you mine for half the price. no manual with it and hand set is a new galaxy.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
No not really. It's nice to have it right there, I don't have to reach to adjust anything.
That must be pretty convenient.

I like where mines at, doesn't get in the way of anything and as I used velcroe to put it on, no drilling. Though I do have to reach a bit to get to the controls. It stays on 21 as thats where I find the most chatter.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticDave View Post
Same reason I got rid of mine years ago. SWR meters are nice on the radios but not necessary. Once you have it set with an actual SWR meter and if you do not move the antenna it should stay set. Also SWR meters on radios are hardly accurate. they maybe close but I have seen them off by +2.
Im going to install a gallaxy DX979 in my new tacoma along with a road king handset. Probably will use a wilson stick .
Old 01-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #12

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticDave View Post
On my Pro 510 I have it P&T and I use a echo mic. The 959 I have a light kit on it that changes the backlight. I use an Astatic noise canceling mic but its stock other then that. The 33 hasnt been converted yet because I am reading to get my no code tech license for ham.
Good for you brother good luck with the license.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery

I have the Cobra 18 and I love it, here is where I put mine. I have a 4' Firestik and I get pretty good coverage where ever I drive. Also I highly recommend you get a spring for you antenna when you get it.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #14

rm2092's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks there is a dealer here in town I will check out Monday.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #15
musty40 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alan
musty40's Tacoma Gallery
I've got this CB in my FJ40. Quite happy with it.