1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ride Height Variance

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by littleschipper, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Apr 27, 2007 at 4:03 PM
    littleschipper

littleschipper [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4X4 TRD (Stealth mode - No Stinkin' Body Badges here!)
    TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Leer 100XQ Bed Cap, 3M Paint Protector Film, Cool SMT LED Bulbs for Brake Lights, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Lock, Toyota Bed Divider, 2002 Yamaha V-Max Hot Rod Motorcycle for More Fun!
    I have an '07 Dbl Cab Short Bed, TRD Off-Road package. Several days after getting my new truck home it was sitting in the garage and I got a good look at it from the rear from a distance of about 30 feet. Something didn't look right, the bed look slanted. So I got out my tape measure and measured from the garage floor to the bottom of each wheel well opening. Yep, the drivers side was exactly 1/2 inch lower than the passenger side, front and rear. Not enough to be overly concerned about and difficult to notice but something I wanted to ask about. Soon after that my dealer held a new owners orientation in the Service Dept. and another brand-new Taco was on the floor. Same model, Dbl Cab Short Bed, TRD pkg. I just happened to have a pocket tape measure in my jacket that day and I measured the this truck's ride height also. It was exactly the same as mine, 1/2 inch lower on the drivers side, front and rear. I asked the mechanic participating in the orientation about it and a dumb look came over his face when I told him about it. He didn't have an answer, he's never seen it and nobody ever reported it before. When the truck was in for service I asked them to check into this and the story they gave me was the factory told them a difference of up to one inch can be found due to the location of the gas tank, it's on the drivers side and not in the middle. I accepted that at first but I measured again with a full tank and a near-empty tank. Virtually no difference. Now I want to ask other Taco owners of they too have this same anomaly. Anybody else out there find this on their trucks?

2. Apr 27, 2007 at 4:54 PM
    MrTaco

MrTaco Member

Member:
    Nice Catch! I'm very interested to hear what is going on here. I wondered if this would have any impact on tire wear. Seems like the weight would not come down evenly and at the same point on both sides....

3. Apr 28, 2007 at 7:26 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Good catch. I have heard of this many times before on many different Tacomas. Just so you know this isn't exclusive to the DoubleCab or even the second generation Tacomas. It has been a charactaristic of most Tacomas for years. I have heard several explanations for it, but none of them seem to be a difinitive answer.

Good luck in your quest for an answer. :)

4. Apr 28, 2007 at 10:33 AM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    My new '07 TRD OR ACC has a 1" difference between the front driver's side and passanger's side and only has 1,500 mile on it.

You have to remember that these trucks were designed as right hand drivers so all the weight is on the left side (battery, steering gear, & gas tank) and when you throw in the driver when it becomes a left hand drive, you have even more weight,as a result, it sags on the left first.

5. Apr 30, 2007 at 7:50 AM
    SPOWERS07

SPOWERS07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB 4x4 off-road
    my 92 toyota pick up did this too and my new one also

6. Apr 30, 2007 at 4:16 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    I should have my new 07 dbl cab, lng bed sport Friday, but right now I'm in a 2001 F350 4 dr short bed 4x4 with the same issue, and Ford didnt have an answer. I guess it isnt a big deal, but when you look at others with the same truck and sit right, it bugs me!!!!!

7. May 7, 2007 at 9:37 PM
    Dominant967

Dominant967 Well-Known Member

Member:
    My 4 inch sky jacker suspension lift with 33 inch BF Goodrich all terrains have leveled everything out... lol

8. May 8, 2007 at 4:38 AM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    I figure I will eventually fix my left sag problem when I change to aftermarket threaded coilovers. That way I can set the left side higher on the coilovers to compensate for the additional weight on the left side (had to do the same thing on my '04 turbo'ed Miata due to the additional weight on the left side too).

9. May 8, 2007 at 3:49 PM
    wrxed96

wrxed96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    06 trd sport does the same thing, I thought it was just mine.

10. May 9, 2007 at 6:02 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Mine sits a little uneaven too. I've measured it many times but i get different measurments depending on the surface i'm on.

11. May 19, 2007 at 8:00 PM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    It's designed for NASCAR fans....

12. May 20, 2007 at 10:50 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Donahoe coilovers fixed mine. Just set the drivers side a little higher than the passenger side. Now my drivers side actually sits a little higher than the passenger side so that it's perfectly level once I sit in the drivers seat. ;)

Taking off your sway bar will also help even out the difference. My drivers side raised up about .5" after I took off the sway bar for offroading purposes.

13. Jun 2, 2007 at 7:30 PM
    dholland

dholland Member

Member:
    haha nice nascar comment screamingtaco....

14. Jun 2, 2007 at 9:36 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Can't believe I missed this thread. What you have here is the infamous Tacoma lean. It happens on current and previous generation Tacoma's. As Panama Red said everything is on the drivers side. Think back to the 4Runners and after a few years the ass end would sag. It's due to the fact Toyota used that same suspension components on the 4Runner as they did on the Hilux and the added weight on the rear of the 4Runner would cause the rear to sag.

15. Jun 3, 2007 at 4:33 AM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    Not only did I notice this on my current truck, but the past 4 others did the exact same thing. It caught my eye one day when I noticed the lines on the side of the truck cab did not line up with the ones on the side of the bed.
    However, my bed (the one my gf and I sleep on) sags too!
    My stomach sags and continues to do so more each year! omg this is a serious sagging problem
    And right about now, my eyes are saggin from too much work and not enough sleep.

good nite people!:)

Products Discussed in

To Top