Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

my bed is crooked

Old 01-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #21
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
There is possibly some mismatch between the bed and frame. There may also be some mismatch between the composite bed and the metal bed sides.
Prolly made in mexico or texas....
Old 01-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #22
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
i looked at some other tacomas today and all have a combination of the following: a bed that is off center vs. the cab, and the flaps are not lined up the same with the outer edge of the tire...and interestingly enough...the amount that the flaps aren't lined up doesn't necessarily jive with the amount that the bed if off from the cab. in fact, sometimes, say, the d-side flap will be out further from the wheel vs. the p-side, but the bed will be over on the p-side moreso than on the d-side!

so, obv it's a tolerance thing that is somewhat wide, and it's between the frame/cab, rear end (wheels) and bed. the rear can have a left to right variable and so can the bed, with the frame being the constant. pretty interesting what you realize and look for when you are mentally ill.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #23
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Wide tolerances ain't necessarily a bad thing....s'what made the AK-47 so damn reliable.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #24
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Wide tolerances ain't necessarily a bad thing....s'what made the AK-47 so damn reliable.
haha, yep, nice analogy.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #26
judd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant future
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
i am driving my 3rd tacoma and i have never had an uneven bed until now. the rear drivers side is the highest. i thought about loosening the 6 bolts in the bed and trying to tweek it alittle. anybody think that might work???
Old 01-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #27
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
i seen this thread so i went out and looked at mine,bed is in on drivers side and sticking out on passenger side...crap,this is gonna drive me nuts now
Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #28
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
My dealer said they have to try and adjust the bed before they replace the composite bed.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #29
No...me no have no more lemon pledge
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
my bed has shifted slightly from the passenger side...its been like that for months n i have yet readjusted it...haha
Old 01-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #30
MiG-21 superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGM View Post
i seen this thread so i went out and looked at mine,bed is in on drivers side and sticking out on passenger side...crap,this is gonna drive me nuts now
hahahaha

i do this shit to people on forums all the time.

the last thing was with my mazdaspeed3. i asked if everyone's radio panel had a perfectly straight hairline...line...in the middle. everyone was like no no no...until they looked. then everyone was like FFFFUUUU dude! why did you say anything, haha. they couldn't stop staring at it.

i've pulled over a few times and stood behind people's tacomas the past few days to gauge other trucks. parking lots, driveways, etc. nobody has said a word. they just watch and pretend it's not happening. kinda weird that people are so quiet, but whatever.

like i said in an earlier post, there is a lot at play here. there is the the bed vs. the cab/frame, and the rear (tires) vs. the frame, and then the rear vs. the bed (flares/flaps), so basically between the 3 items they try to get it within a certain tolerance. so, if you adjust the bed so it's perfectly straight vs. the cab, you might end up with a tire on one side that is sticking way out. so they you'd have to center the rear. might be best to leave well enough alone ; )
Old 01-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #32
MiG-21 superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRabbitFurHead View Post
Mine is perfect because I refuse to look at it! HA!
; )
Old 01-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #33
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
The more you learn about vehicles, the more familiar you become with the phrase "within tolerance".
Old 01-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #34
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
ok,just fixed mine.the bed will move about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in all directions.bolt torque is 59.5 ft.pounds
Old 02-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #35
nyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud of

Name: Sean
nyfishhunter's Tacoma Gallery
Noticed this earlier today and was going to post a question, however, I found lots of good information here and on other posts. My tonneau looked a little crooked and decided to re-measure and adjust the mounting brackets -- and it still looked crooked. Then checked the bed -- I can get about 2 knuckles between the bed and a cab on the the drivers side and up to my palm on the passenger side. I'm not going to worry about it, but had wondered if I was the only one. I guess not.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #36
Sheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sheppy
Sheppymach's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was off. Key word "was" i noticed it 5 minutes after i got it home from the first day. loosened up the bed bolts, used a 2x4 and a towel and got it in perfectly. Thought it was just odd at the time, now i see everyones is a little off.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #37
MiG-21 superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheppymach View Post
Mine was off. Key word "was" i noticed it 5 minutes after i got it home from the first day. loosened up the bed bolts, used a 2x4 and a towel and got it in perfectly. Thought it was just odd at the time, now i see everyones is a little off.
the question is...when you adjust your bed to be even with the cab, how are your wheels in relation to the flaps or flares? that is the catch 22 here because the outside portion of the tire tends to be maladjusted vs. the flat side of the flares or flaps when you straighten the bed. it's almost like they found the happy medium at the factory between the bed, the cab and the rear (diff carrier/axles/wheels).
Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #38
Sheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the bed to cab is good. i pulled the mud flaps 2nd day. I just went out to look in the pitch dark and the tires seem good. mabe day light will tell a different story but i didnt notice the tires when i did the fix only the bed being jacked.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #39
MiG-21 superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheppymach View Post
the bed to cab is good. i pulled the mud flaps 2nd day. I just went out to look in the pitch dark and the tires seem good. mabe day light will tell a different story but i didnt notice the tires when i did the fix only the bed being jacked.
i will be praying for you that your wheels will not issue a surprise in the morning!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #40

Thank you. fingers crossed. Where r you in jersey? Got family in S. Seaville off rt9. thats as close as you can get to ocean without being in sea isle.