Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

secondary air filter removal help!!4.0L 2nd gen

Old 01-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
secondary air filter removal help!!4.0L 2nd gen

i want to make sure i am removing the right part. is it the part outlined in red or something different?

Old 01-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
nope....the secondary filter is wherer the two clips are going into the box before the TB.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
nope....the secondary filter is wherer the two clips are going into the box before the TB.
ok so inside the air box where the normal filter is, when you take that out, it is the weird lookin filter with the thin metal mesh covering it that is left inside?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
ok so inside the air box where the normal filter is, when you take that out, it is the weird lookin filter with the thin metal mesh covering it that is left inside?
correct...when you open it up and the regular air filter is on the left (while looking at the engine from the front), the secondary is the grey looking one on the right that is attached to the inside of the box.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You wont get anything from removing it. Honestly, Your better off leaving it in.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
correct...when you open it up and the regular air filter is on the left (while looking at the engine from the front), the secondary is the grey looking one on the right that is attached to the inside of the box.
alright, cause i took that hose off that goes all the way to the fender, and i looked through it and didnt see any filter so i put it back on cause it didnt look right.

so i take the main filter out, unplug the MAF sensor and pull the charcoal filter out?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You wont get anything from removing it. Honestly, Your better off leaving it in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoridinhigh View Post
Yeah, I wish I would have kept mine in.

No difference felt here.
ive heard different things about it. some gain MPG, others dont so idk if im gonna take it out or not. its dark anyways so i wont do it till tommorrow so i have some time to consider it
Old 01-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
alright, cause i took that hose off that goes all the way to the fender, and i looked through it and didnt see any filter so i put it back on cause it didnt look right.

so i take the main filter out, unplug the MAF sensor and pull the charcoal filter out?
the way i did it, i didnt remove the MAF. i just cut a slit in the filter big enough to grip it and pulled it out. others have simple taken a small bit and drilled out the plastic welds....or even used a screwdriver and hammer to pop them out.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
The 2.7's have a better chance of gaining anything from that mod.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ive heard different things about it. some gain MPG, others dont so idk if im gonna take it out or not. its dark anyways so i wont do it till tommorrow so i have some time to consider it
Placebo. Me and Gaget both tested this, and found nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
The 2.7's have a better chance of gaining anything from that mod.
This ^^^
Old 01-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
I love the "i felt quicker throttle response" ~ whatever stuff on all these mods. I had a guy at work telling me he was getting 28 mpg and +35 hp in his crew cab frontier because he had a magnaflow and k&N. "you can really feel it"... yea.. I can feel the drone of his exhaust in my office when he pulls in. Sounds like a walrus humping.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:40 AM   #13
Average JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to behold

Army: 4ID
Name: Matt
Average JOE's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Funny
Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 AM   #14
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Dude leave it in there. It won't help you.. 2.7, 4.0 either way its not gonna make a difference other then maybe a little sound. Its only there to keep engine gases from escaping into your garage after your turn your engine off. It doesn't restrict shit!
Old 01-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #15
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
If your going to do it make sure you remove the whole filter box out of the truck so that you do not drop any plastic particals into the intake. The secondary filter is held in with plastic spot welds. You dont have to drill them, Just take a flat blade screwdriver and work it around the edges of the filter popping them as you go. I removed mine I have a 2.7ltr It may have made a very small difference although I have heard in the 6cyl engines it not even worth it.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:26 AM   #16
hardtaco will become famous soon enoughhardtaco will become famous soon enough

hardtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
I love the "i felt quicker throttle response" ~ whatever stuff on all these mods. I had a guy at work telling me he was getting 28 mpg and +35 hp in his crew cab frontier because he had a magnaflow and k&N. "you can really feel it"... yea.. I can feel the drone of his exhaust in my office when he pulls in. Sounds like a walrus humping.
That's some funny shit!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:53 AM   #17
Senior Citizen
MT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant future

Air Force: Telecomm Tech
MT Madman's Tacoma Gallery
Mental horsepower, reminds me of the days in H/S when we borrowed dad's 66 Chevy with the 396 and would flip the air cleaner lid to get 'that sound' and then go cruisin'.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 AM   #18
pootermobile is on a distinguished road

pootermobile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Madman View Post
Mental horsepower, reminds me of the days in H/S when we borrowed dad's 66 Chevy with the 396 and would flip the air cleaner lid to get 'that sound' and then go cruisin'.
i had a 93 5L mustang bone stock(at first). Unplug a few of the smaller vacuum lines and hit the town! It sure sounded bad ass lol.