Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Miles to brakes replacement?

Old 01-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
BartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of light
BartStar's Tacoma Gallery
Miles to brakes replacement?

As a new Tacoma Owner the biggest thing that impresses me is the excellent brakes on the Tacoma.
Running thru this forum I have noticed not much talk about the Tacoma brakes or any problem with the brakes.
My former Ford trucks were hard on brakes, never worked when cold, even new trucks, when I pull out of the driveway of my home I have to decend a very steep hill with a stop at the end and with my former Ford's I had to get off the seat and stand on the brake pedal with 2 feet to stop.
My Toyota Tacoma brakes isn't effected by the cold, brakes work excellent.
Yes, I understand my former Ford trucks were heavy, but they had much bigger calipers and rotors, and the Tacoma is maybe only 1000 lbs lighter.
I have NEVER drove any Ford with good brakes!

I was wondering how many miles can you go on a set of brake pads?
Any brake problems such as trashed and expensive rotor or drum replacement?
Old 01-23-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
47 k, just replaced front brakes because they were half way worn and the clicking in reverse drove me nuts, could have gone another 30k though. rear are still like new.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
I made it to 172,000 before the OEM front pads needed replace. Still on the rear drum shoes.

They do have a excellent braking system, and if your easy on the brakes, they will last a long, long time. Just depends on how you drive.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on driving style and if you tow anything or haul heavy stuff in the bed on a regular basis. My fronts were worn pretty good at 30000 so I had the pads replaced when I replaced my tires. I tow a small boat most weekends for 7-8 months of the year.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I did 125k on oem brakes on my 02 taco.I sold the truck at that mileage,and they weren't ready to be replaced
Old 01-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
welcome from pa.where in pa are you?i got 95,000 miles and 3 to 4/32 left on them.no problems here.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
I come from a long line of Conga dancers.
Natetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to all

Name: Nate
Natetroknot's Tacoma Gallery
56,XXX and the fronts are not even close to needing replacement.

Haven't looked at the rears.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the pedal feel is horrible, but they sure as hell stop you like a pole and last a good while.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TacoTrD View Post
Depends on driving style and if you tow anything or haul heavy stuff in the bed on a regular basis. My fronts were worn pretty good at 30000 so I had the pads replaced when I replaced my tires. I tow a small boat most weekends for 7-8 months of the year.
This ^^^^

You cant get an accurate feel for when they need to be replaced, based on how someone else drives their truck. Different driving styles, towing, terrain, all play into how fast, or how long the brakes last.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
34k here
but i drive in traffic here in nyc everyday
Old 01-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
Uncelou1980 is on a distinguished road
Uncelou1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
47 k, just replaced front brakes because they were half way worn and the clicking in reverse drove me nuts, could have gone another 30k though. rear are still like new.

I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner DC Sports Package ( 42350 Miles ) and about 3 years ago I notices a clicking sound when i put the truck in reverse and its also drivig me crazy ,,, about a year ago i took it to the dealership and they told there was nothing they could of done to fix it ,, they told that it was an Engineering issue .... I wonder if should replace the brake pads in order to stop that ticking / clicking noise when i put the car in reverse ?????
Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on how you drive. The truck I recently bought had 113k on it and it had the rear brakes done at 80k and the fronts at 60k and again at 102k. The 05 I sold with 102k on it had about 30-40% pad left up front and I suspect at least the same on the rear. I just did a rear wheel bearing on my wife's 00 4Runner and got new shoes expecting the originals to be toast at 206k miles. Nope they have about 50% left! So those are going back.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
I don't really know if this helps or not, but one of the things I do just after movement stops is to pull my foot off of the brake pedal and see if it will just sit there without rolling.

My idea (call it crazy,,whatever) is that the pads and rotors just got heat soaked coming to a stop and if you pull your foot off it releases the hard clamp on the shoes so the heat will dissipate faster from the shoes and rotor, instead of "cooking" the pads on the hot rotor as it is holding the truck.

Pretty nutty, I know, but weird makes the world go round.

No real big air gap between the pads and rotors, and the pads are still touching the hot rotor, but they are not clamped down hard either. If traffic approaches from the rear, then I put my foot back on the pedal to indicate a stop. Some states have this as a law that you must have your foot on the brake to indicate a stop, so don't do as I do,,(disclaimer).
Old 01-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
carolinatlc is on a distinguished road
carolinatlc's Tacoma Gallery
Replaced front pads on my 05 at 150k. Rear drums looked good. Somewhere around 175k now and the truck still stops great.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I'm at 56k and I haven't replaced mine yet.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
43K miles and all is still well...
Old 01-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
man.. the brake pads etc have so little to do with how long they last.
ITs 90+% how you drive. You can ruin em in a day.. wear em out in 5k.. if you're trying.
Its another one of those things, I've never replaced when bought in working order.

I only use my brakes when parking or when not paying attention.