1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scrap of foil dropped into fuel filler neck...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JKD, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Jan 23, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    JKD

JKD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had the "one in ten thousand" accident today. I was putting in a bottle of Techron (fuel system cleaner) and, as I always do, I carefully pierced the foil cap with a key and pulled it off. I do this to make sure it doesn't end up in the fuel tank.

Well, I flicked it off of my key, and the wind caught it and it made a loop-the-loop in the air before swishing directly into the tiny fuel filler opening and straight down the pipe. Nothing but net. Looked in with flashlight...can't see anything. :facepalm:

I've looked at the FSM pages to see whether there is a screen in the fuel filler neck/tube, and I can't find anything about it aside from the parts diagram for the fuel system.

I've also looked at the FSM pages to see where and how large the pump inlet screen is (if there is a screen). No information found.

So, does anyone know whether this little 1/4" to 3/8" semi-circular bit of foil is going to clog my fuel pump, or is there adequate screen area to keep it from impeding fuel flow? It's a bit cold to be dropping the tank for no reason, and I suspect the dealership would charge me an enormous fee to do it for me.

2. Jan 23, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    larry2375

larry2375 Well-Known Member

Member:
    honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2010 mgm prerunner sport
    upper mx grillcraft, flowmaster super 44,bilstein 5100 @ 2.5,toytec 1/4" spacer driver side,nitto terra grappler 285/70/17,17x9 xd addicts, undercover tonneau cover, wet okoles, weathertech mats, toyota door sill protector, toyota bed mat, 30% tint, black toyota oem tube steps, 14" shorty antenna, trd skid plate, most important, viper 5902 with remote start and two dual shock sensors
    i thought all filler neck/tubes had a filter/screen before going to the tank. wow, what story, if anything, it wouldn't get sucked up by the fuel pump. it'll just stay in the tank and will not dissolve.

3. Jan 23, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Correct. The pump screen will catch it, and it will live the rest of its life in the solitary confines of your fuel tank, until some one decides to drop the tank, pull the pump, and remove it.

4. Jan 23, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    JKD

JKD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Excellent. After posting, I did find a diagram that at least allows me to estimate the pump screen size, and it is probably about 2" x 3". A 1/4" x 3/8" scrap, if it ever adheres to the screen, will only take up about 1% of the screen area.

I just better make sure I don't do that 99 more times.

5. Jan 23, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    you mean you haven't de-screened your fuel pump for maximum performance.. I feel a greater throttle response and get 1.2 mpg better..

no.. just kidding.

6. Jan 23, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    FPDSM sticky coming shortly.

7. Jan 23, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I doubt it will affect much. It might restrict the flow of gas into the tank a bit though.

Products Discussed in

To Top