Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil Fill 2TR-FE

Old 01-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Oil Fill 2TR-FE

Sorry guys, I tried searching but couldn't find a definite answer. I just picked up a 2006 Tacoma (base, 4WD) with the 2.7L (2TR-FE) today with only 18000 miles. I changed the oil & filter as soon as I got home using a Toyota filter and Mobile 1 5W-30 synthetic. I filled it with the owner's manual-suggested ~<=6.1 qts. Started the engine and let it warm, shutoff, then checked the dipstick about 30 min. later and it read WAYYY too high. I drained about 3/4-1 quart of new expensive oil out and the dipstick is reading a tiny bit above the full line now.

Which is correct, the manual or the dipstick? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

BTW, this is my first post. Sorry for introducing myself with such a simple question that I'm sure has been answered a thousand times.

P.S. Also noted that the driver's side front axle had a TON of play but not leaking fluid (a few millimeters up and down but no groaning or grinding sounds while driving at any speed). Been reading up on that situation, and may be why I got it for such a great deal!!! Time to buy a service manual.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
i always put in 5.5 with new filter and it works out well for me.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
go by the manual 6.1 qts w/filter, and 5w-20 or 0-20
Old 08-05-2011, 03:28 AM   #4
rrb690 is on a distinguished road
rrb690's Tacoma Gallery
We call the Tacoma a Hilux here in Australia and they have the same engines. I have the 2TR-FE engine and its a 2011 model. When I check the oil level on the dip stick it will read over full, turn over the dip stick and it should give you a correct reading on the other side. My owners manual states 5.6 litres of oil (4.9 qt) with the filter the engine will hold. Maybe put the exact amount your owners manual states there in the U.S and make a note of what the dip stick reads, then you will have a reference point of when its full, hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoterragaia View Post
.... Time to buy a service manual.

Welcome to TW... you can find an online service manual here:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/

It's for 05's but mechanicals are pretty much the same AFAIK. And don't sweat the 'easy' question 'cause at least you avoided the usual first time oil change problem: draining ATF by mistake and overfilling the engine oil by double!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of threads on this topic but... 5.5qt w/new filter brings mine to just below the full mark which is just fine for me... a little over or a little under, doesn't matter, there's plenty in there for the next 4500 miles. IMHO it does not really matter exactly how much oil is in there, as long as it's between the low and full marks you'll be fine. Some say the discrepancy between the recommended fill (6.1qt) and the generally accepted fill quantity around TW (5.4-5.5qt) does make a difference in the cooling capacity, since oil also helps cool our engines. But half a quart is not that big a deal really. Full enough is full enough as long as it's changed regularly and as long as you're not burning or leaking oil. Anything more is just people being overly worried and some people are like that. I have other stuff to worry about.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
window is on a distinguished road
window's Tacoma Gallery
I just get a 5 qt jug and a 1 qt bottle and call it good. I can't measure .1 qts. Is that a splash? A drizzle?