1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Defects or Issues?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 007Tacoma, Apr 29, 2007.

?

What kind of issues/defects are you having with your Tacoma?

1. Electrical Issues (wiring, lighting, gauges, starting, battery, etc...)

10.1%
  2. Strange Noises (clunking, whirring, popping, etc...)

23.1%
  3. Wind Noise (excessive wind noise in the cab at any speed)

14.1%
  4. Vibrations during Acceleration

13.3%
  5. Vibrations during Cruising

10.2%
  6. Vibrations during Deceleration

7.7%
  7. Lunging or Jumping in RPMs

14.0%
  8. Other issues (please describe in your post)

11.6%
  9. None (I am blessed)

34.7%
  1. Mar 20, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    TL697

TL697 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad Magnetic Grey Met
    V6
    4WD, Traction Control, and Locker/LSD
    DoubleCab Shortbed
    TRD
    Have the 3 leaf rear springs and a sticker stating the load capacity reduced by 290lbs :mad:

2. Mar 20, 2009 at 10:29 PM
    gdctaco

gdctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    georgetown, ont
    Vehicle:
    06 access cab 4x4 O/R
    rr diff mod in-cab 110
    1)2006
    2)4.0l
    3)4x4
    4)access
    5)trd
    6) other; my idlers keep blowing bearings, rear suspension is too soft (had tsb done), the paint sucks.

3. Mar 24, 2009 at 12:19 PM
    flatlander

flatlander Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DC-LB 2WD Prerunner V6 Auto
    1) 2009
    2) V6)
    3) 2WD
    4) DoubleCab Longbed
    5) PreRunner
    6) Wind noise. It is only bad when running into any head winds. But being a new vehicle, I would expect less noise. It seems that each time I test drove one, the wind was really blowing (20+ mph), so I did not really worry about it. But it seems even a little wind ( <15 ) causes an excessive amount of noise.

4. Mar 24, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    Radio in my 09 is acting up. At first the volume knob would not work and I had to control it from the steering wheel controls. Now the entrie LCD is blank and the knobs work intermittently. None of the butttons to change modes, stations or scan work.

Will make an appointment with the selling dealer to get the warranty work done and post an update when I know more.

5. Mar 24, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    EEtaco

EEtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Prerunner
    Had the same exact problem. If your LCD is completely blank try pushing in the volume knob fairly hard and see if it comes back; worked for me at least. I took it back to the dealer and after about 20mins of waiting they tell me a new radio is being ordered. Took it in last week and now I'm hoping for a call this week to get it put in.

6. Mar 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    #Reistlehr-

#Reistlehr- AngryTacoma

Member:
    Parsippany, NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Double Cab Long Bed SR5
    1) 2009
    2) 6Cyl
    3) 4WD
    4) Double Cab Long Bed
    5) Stock
    6) my truck jumps into 1st from neutral with the foot on the brake which jerks the truck forward. Same thing from 1st to neutral. (Automatic)

Also, since i got the truck, it's been pulling towards the drivers side, and no, it is not the road crown. Toyota won't even put it on the alignment machine to give me printout. I dont like my toyota dealer.

Also the headunit randomly shuts off and the volume knob stops working.

I got a yellow sticker too

7. Mar 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM
    irshliquor

irshliquor Active Member

Member:
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Wind Chill Pearl Tacoma Limited 4x4
    1) 2009
    2) V6
    3) 2WD
    4) Double Cab
    5) TRD Sport
    6)
    - Blowing into mic effect w/ Sub/Rear Speakers on JBL Audio System (Going to the dealer tonight to have it verified and hopefully parts ordered).
    - 3 leaf springs and yellow sticker on driver side doorframe. Will ask the service adviser about this when I'm there tonight.
    - With engine at about 1500-2000 RPM, there was a rattling noise coming from behind the glove box (seemingly), the rep ordered and replaced the intake - said it was a known issue. They also seem to have put some dampening foam around it. This problem has mostly gone away after the intake was replaced, although I do hear the rattle from time to time, but it goes away and is very difficult to replicate.
    - Black plastic above the glove box (when open), one of the clips does not fasten, so it's loose. When I go over a bump it makes an irritating clacking noise. Will also be bringing this to the advisers attention later today.
    - The truck seems to wander a bit on the road. Not sure if it's because it's higher profile than my old S-10 and it's being blown by wind or what, but if I let go of the steering wheel on a very flat highway, it seems to kinda wander.
    - When I turn the A/C on, it seems to sort of lunge forward. Also when the compressor turns on (or off maybe), this happens. It's noticeable only when fully stopped, but it's kind of disconcerting to think that the truck may lunge forward into the vehicle ahead of me.

8. Mar 25, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    mainland_newfie

mainland_newfie Mainland Newfie

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma
    skid plate, side step rails, new rims, hose clamp, 20% tint, G4 Tonneau cover, JVC 7 in double din stereo/dvd
    07 trd tacoma
    only issues i have with my truck is that it sometimes it takes a while for the truck to start, its been like this since I got it, doesn't happen alot, usually just after a cold night or day, and it warms up a bit. I've mentioned it but as you say its never an issue when I'm at the dealership. Has anyone else had an issue with this.

9. Mar 29, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    nagelg

nagelg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    2008, access cab
    4 cyl, 4x4 manual trans.
    I responded to this thread last year with low miles reporting no problems.

16,000 miles later now, still runnin' great, mileage has increased a little. A clunky transmission, maybe some wind noise (I'm half deaf anyway)...hey it's a TRUCK. If I wanted smooth, quiet perfection (?) I coulda bought an Escalade, they're a dime a dozen now :)

10. Mar 29, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    MGRS

MGRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra OR
    On my tacoma, the starter cranks longer before the motor catches than on any vehicle I have owned. I think this is normal.

11. Mar 29, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    there is a tsb that the dealer will reflash the ecu to help with the extended cranking. but i have found out.....if you turn the key over until the fuel pump primes up..............it cranks alot quicker anyway.

12. Mar 29, 2009 at 8:43 PM
    GTB

GTB New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Xtra Cab 4x2
    ARE Shell
    My radio volume suddenly goes dead (i.e. I cant change the volume), and also the lights on the radio suddenly die. Turning the radio on and off sometimes restores control, but the ultimate fix is coming in the form of a replacement radio.

13. Mar 31, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    no_werries

no_werries Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 reg cab Indigo Ink 5 speed
    CAI, 2 1/2" rear lift AAL, Ready Lift strut ext. & diff drop = 2 1/2" front lift, tweaked clutch, Magnaflo Muffler & Custom exhaust 265/75/16lt Nitto Terra Grappler 8ply on stock rims. Huskyliners
    1) 2005
    2) I4
    3) 4x4
    4) Regular Cab
    5) Stock

Emergency Brake Light Stays on (have yet to look for cause), somethings wrong with ABS (thinking just the sensor) besides its fun lockin the tires up when your messin around, lots of windnoise (even more so since my weather stripping on the door froze to the cab and ripped into pieces), had a wheeling noise coming from the engine area, but after cleaning the engine (and associated parts) there has been no problem, so all in all, no problems considering I spend on average over 4 hours a day driving her.

14. Mar 31, 2009 at 4:26 PM
    no_werries

no_werries Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 reg cab Indigo Ink 5 speed
    CAI, 2 1/2" rear lift AAL, Ready Lift strut ext. & diff drop = 2 1/2" front lift, tweaked clutch, Magnaflo Muffler & Custom exhaust 265/75/16lt Nitto Terra Grappler 8ply on stock rims. Huskyliners

ye I live in ontario too, and I find in the winter time it can take a while to start, compared to the summer where it starts right up, too that anyone know if you can buy a block heater for the I4 tacomas 2nd gen!

15. Mar 31, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    mainland_newfie

mainland_newfie Mainland Newfie

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma
    skid plate, side step rails, new rims, hose clamp, 20% tint, G4 Tonneau cover, JVC 7 in double din stereo/dvd
    there is a tsb about the shitty start up now in canada anyhow. I have yet to go in about it. but mine isn't just in the cold, now that its 13 degrees in the afternoon, if its the first time I've been out all day, sometimes it won't hit its rolling over just not full on starting, then I let go and try again adn it picks up right away.

16. Apr 1, 2009 at 5:11 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I have had the same problem. I was going to get mine replaced until reading other threads that said the replacement does the same thing.

17. Apr 3, 2009 at 5:17 AM
    TARBS

TARBS New Member

Member:
    Thunderbay Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    2009 Tacoma V6 TRD Off Road.
    I noticed that the oil was dirty after 2500 km. Changed oil and filter. Now the odometer is at 5000 km oil dirty again. Could this be caused by running rich or leakage in rings or valve train? A Leak- down test would shine some light on that. Fuel mileage has not been very good but the weather has been very cold with poor traction driving conditions. I will keep better track of the fuel consumption now that the weather has let up. I’m going to keep all oil filters and records of maintenance up to date. With that said I'm off today to the dealer for another oil change.

18. Apr 3, 2009 at 5:36 AM
    beerjonny

beerjonny Member

Member:
    NB Canada
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma TRD
    Truxedo tonneau Avid bull bar Trans skid plate Ventvisors / Bug defelctor Roof Rack
    1) 2006
    2) V6, 6 speed
    3) 4WD
    4) AccessCab and Shortbed
    5) TRD
    6) Driving at speed on the highway I have a decent vibration. It shakes the wheel side to side rapidly over 1/2 of travel or so, can also be seen in the vibration of the mirrors and in the shift stick. Bad if I let go of it. I must mention that the truck pulls to the left a bit when I let go of the wheel so this may be solved with an alignment job.

19. Apr 3, 2009 at 5:39 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Radio volume control died
    TRD Supercharger problem,another one being installed..

20. Apr 3, 2009 at 6:00 AM
    drifter379

drifter379 CenTex Honky

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    Secondary Air filter mod,Removed running boards,AFE Pro dry filter,sirius satelite radio,relocated horns,sockmonkey decal,EZ change drain plug,color matched grille,grille craft mx, BHLM, Fog light mod, Hellas behind the grille

Got any pics of this? I though the noise was coming from the side windows. If you crack the driver or passanger side window it stops. Its windy as hell out here and I want this noise to stop.

Products Discussed in

To Top