Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Defects or Issues?

View Poll Results: What kind of issues/defects are you having with your Tacoma?
Electrical Issues (wiring, lighting, gauges, starting, battery, etc...) 181 10.12%
Strange Noises (clunking, whirring, popping, etc...) 414 23.14%
Wind Noise (excessive wind noise in the cab at any speed) 253 14.14%
Vibrations during Acceleration 236 13.19%
Vibrations during Cruising 181 10.12%
Vibrations during Deceleration 139 7.77%
Lunging or Jumping in RPMs 250 13.97%
Other issues (please describe in your post) 209 11.68%
None (I am blessed) 621 34.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1789. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #541
thomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the rough
Army:
thomasr1950's Tacoma Gallery
Ask the dealer to do a Road Force Balance. If you still have issues with dealer contact Toyota, they will work with you & dealer to fix the issue. Have you talked to the Service Mgr. or Customer Service Mgr. I had a vibration issue myself in my 09Tacoma dbl cab TRD Sport. Dealer did a road force balance, it helped. Good luck
Old 11-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #542
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
1) 2008
2) V6
3) 4WD LSD
4) DCLB
5) TRD Sport
6) Rattling in dash behind passenger side air bag, not sure what it is and not sure how to fix it without spending a fortune at the stealership.

Kind of reminds me of a wire tapping on something...
Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #543
just sittin' in the corner, havin' a beer
eastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
eastcoastcowboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasr1950 View Post
Ask the dealer to do a Road Force Balance. If you still have issues with dealer contact Toyota, they will work with you & dealer to fix the issue. Have you talked to the Service Mgr. or Customer Service Mgr. I had a vibration issue myself in my 09Tacoma dbl cab TRD Sport. Dealer did a road force balance, it helped. Good luck

Thanks.
New tires are going on in the next few days, we'll see if that fixes the problem. Feels more like a driveline issue to me though.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #544
johnanm will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Pilot
johnanm's Tacoma Gallery
1) 2011
2) 4 Cyl
3) Prerunner
4) DC
5) SR5
6) Leather-wrapped steering wheel had a seam that wasn't flush, it was almost as if there was extra material present, which resulted in a raised bump right at the 10 o'clock position on the wheel. Around 5K miles I noticed that the leather was beginning to split/fray here, probably because of it being more exposed and rubbing against my hand. Case # from Toyota and dealer took one look and will replace the wheel.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #545
Silvert is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
Silvert's Tacoma Gallery
bad clutch at 5,000 miles!

1.2010 Tacoma regular cab
2. 4cyl.
3. 5 speed
4. 4x4
5. SR-5 with chrome package
6. Bad clutch! purchased with 5,000 miles on it feom a Toyyota dealer. It is a certified used Toyota.
7. Clutch slipping! after only a few miles!
8. Finally got it to slip while Dealer person was driving. Dealer replaced the the clutch pressure plate and all related parts and checked the truck over very well. It appears it was manufactured with with an inferior Mexican clutch with more "fingers" in it then the Japanese made counter part. There was a bulletin out on it and they have replaced others at no charge as well. It now has a separate new warranty. It was an ordeal, but it works fine now!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #546
feyded is on a distinguished road
Navy: NAS Whidbey Isle
feyded's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBauman View Post
i've had a slight synchronized tapping or ticking coming from engine compartment when excelerating over 2000 rpm. but only when on the gas over 2000 rpms. stops once i let off. no matter what rpms or speed. thought it was break in, but now chalked it up to engine function noise. im at a lil under 6000 on odo.......

does a consistent rpm when breaking in a truck matter over the life of the truck?. for example: if i keep my truck consistantly around 2000 rpm while breaking it in, will it prefer or perform better at that rpm. and will it loose a lil "pep" because of it. i try to maintain good mpg's but dont want to make my truck whimpy.lol if thats possible...... sorry for the essay
The engine doesnt 'prefer' a certain RPM aside from your power band where you make the most of your HP and TQ's. Engine break in is required(most people drive their cars like they stole it from day one) to insure the seals, gaskets, and rings heat up properly and wear to each other in a relatively 'calm' environment.

The unspoken rule of engine break in that Ive understood from mechanics and from my own experience is dont consistently rev up to red line or around, and try not to punch it till you get out of the manufacturer's suggested break in period. The way I see it is, take it easy for those 1000-1500 miles, then treat it like crap. To each their own though.

Id say you have an engine issue, personally Im not too knowledgeable on these engines so I couldnt tell you if its nothing to be worried about. If YOU dont feel it sounds right, bring it in, thats what matters, then have them explain what is causing it(could be a number of things) since you seem interested in what is causing it. Could just be you have loud ass valves.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #547
just sittin' in the corner, havin' a beer
eastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
eastcoastcowboy's Tacoma Gallery
Update on the vibration - see earlier post.

New tires installed a couple weeks ago - no change.

Was going in for oil change anyway, so I went for a drive with the head mechanic, he notices the vibration right away. Went over the driveline = no apparent problems.

Take the wheels and tires off the service manager's Tacoma, road test = same vibration.

Service manager takes my truck for a drive = no vibration (that the rest of them don't have). He basically challenged me to grab one off the lot that doesn't feel exactly the same on the highway.

He said "unless Toyota comes down the line with something, there's nothing we can do." Which I understood as " We know there's a problem, but Toyota hasn't told us to fix it yet".

Any input?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #548
thomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the rough
Army:
thomasr1950's Tacoma Gallery
I had vibration in my 09 dbl cab. I read on this forum that a road force balance should be done. I told my service manager this & he did & got rid of the vibration. Insist your dealer do the same, if they won't contact Toyota, they will get you results. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #549
Silvert's Tacoma Gallery
This worked for me

When my clutch went bad at 5,000 miles I had similar denials from the dealer. I then went to Ask.com and described my problem to their Toyota mechanic on line. He came back with a confirmation of the problem AND Toyota's bulletin number authorizing the repair! I had them! And I got a new clutch, related parts and a free loaner! Good luck.
Silvert/Jeff
Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #550
Silvert's Tacoma Gallery
Also Google "vibrations in the front end of a Toyota Tacoma" and you will get sent to Edmonds.com where there is a forum on your problem. Keep digging and you will get evidence of others with the same problem.
Silvert
Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #551
Silvert's Tacoma Gallery
Found this on Edmonds.com site listed above.

#82 of 111 Re: New Tacoma driveline vibration! [nelz1] by will39
Nov 16, 2008 (7:28 am)

Replying to: nelz1 (Dec 12, 2007 10:59 am)

Toyota now has fix for this,Rear motor mount replacement will stop this
vibration, Had mine replaced with heaver mount,Moter was vibrating
at 20 mph.Call your deler new bullitin out on this.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #552
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
The body cross member that supports the radiator, hood latch, grill and horns is made of sheet metal slightly thicker than heavy duty aluminum foil. My truck has only 28 k miles, but vibration from driving over the washboard roads into my town has started cracks near the spot welds where the outboard horn is mounted. I fixed it with a piece of 1/8" x 1" aluminum angle, but I think a stouter cross member should have been designed.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #553
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigB View Post
1) 2008
2) V6
3) 4WD LSD
4) DCLB
5) TRD Sport
6) Rattling in dash behind passenger side air bag, not sure what it is and not sure how to fix it without spending a fortune at the stealership.

Kind of reminds me of a wire tapping on something...
Rattle is fixed, put a long piece of black plumbing insulation (dense foam) between dash and windshield and that took care of it! You hardly notice it! Now knock on wood there aren't any issues right now!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #554
Cheese it in there!
tacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
tacomafide's Tacoma Gallery
2010 v6 DCLB TRD Sport 32k km's bought new in March 2010
On my 3rd blower motor (squeaks and sequels)
Intermediate shaft (steering linkage) worn out at 20k km's WTF!!
Cigarette lighter replaced (shoots out red hot and goes wherever it wants)
Leaf spring isolater thingy replaced (worn out after 18k km's) causing rear end to squeak when suspension traveling WTF Again!!
2nd wiper motor ( made a lot of noise)
Dealer installed level kit removed after 2nd front diff replaced due to vibes @ 50- 60 km/h
While they had it on the hoist the rear shocks blew out!!
I'm sure there is more but I can't remember right now. I love this truck but it has had more problems than my last 2 new fords put together. Needless to say my friends and co-workers won't be buying a Tacoma any time soon.

Even my wife who owns a matrix ( which is why I went with Toyota) won't be getting another one.

Like I said ( and I might be crazy) but I love this truck and I stick up for it like its my family or something. I take a lot of ribbing about what a piece of shit this thing has been. Whatever. I'm a mechanic, I know things fail, but where's the F'n Kaizen??
Old 04-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #555
Cheese it in there!
tacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant future

For what its worth on one of the MANY papers I got from the dealer after these bullshit repairs it said the squeaking in the blower motor was cause by the "brushes" . You could try ordering brushes if you are off of warranty. I would assume they are made of a different grade carbon or use a different binding agent if they have had so many problems with the oem ones.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #556
Cheese it in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytl View Post
Did anyone else check off almost everything. The strange part is, its still my favorite truck out there
Dido
Old 04-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #557
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
my exhaust is melting/bubbling the area behind the passenger back tire, bumper started rusting at 500 miles several squeaky blower motors, creaky/squeaky windshield that occasionally leaks.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #558
Cheese it in there!

Yeah that's another thing exhaust staining up the bottom side of the quarter panel. The dealership ppl were like put a tip on, that way the exhaust comes out a little further away. And I was like "don't you think kaizen should have taken care of that when they built this pile. Buff that shit out and I'll be back tomorrow to check your work"
Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #559
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
1) Year or Build Date of your Tacoma - 12/2007
2) Engine 4Cyl
3) Drive Line 2WD Base
4) Body Configuration Regular cab 5 Lug
5) Suspension Base

Edit: Oh ya... I forgot about #6, defects or issues...

Attached Thumbnails
Defects or Issues?-tpmson.jpg  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #560
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
1) Year or Build Date of your Tacoma
2) Engine (V6 or 4Cyl)
V-6
3) Drive Line (2WD, 4WD, and whether or not you have Traction Control or a Locker/LSD)
2-wheel drive
4) Body Configuration (AccessCab/DoubleCab and Longbed/Shortbed)
Access cab
5) Suspension (TRD, PreRunner, or Stock)
TRD
6) Discribe your issue/defect as best you can if you have any.
DTRL's are melting the lenses. Suspension 'clunks' or unwinds when stopping.

Ray