1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VSC no longer exists ? Help ME! Need Super Technical Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sierrahsky, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jan 25, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    Nightfury

Nightfury Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Factory running boards, Toyota (DeeZee built) toolbox, Code Alarm 5152 remote starter, Bronze TRD rims, more to come....
    So, random thought. Have you had a remote starter put in ever? And does a Scangauge hook up to your CAN Bus wires (either by a hardwire or connector to your OBDII connector)? I don't know how a Scangauge installs. If it does, do you have a Scangauge in your car?

Interference with a CAN bus could cause your VSC ECU to not communicate with the scan tool (Techstream) that a Toyota tech would use to pull codes. It could also cause faulty communication between ECUs, and possibly (although very unlikely) cause weird behavior of certain systems. A lot of transponder bypass modules use the CAN bus to pull data for a transponder key and for certain inputs needed by a remote starter, like a tachometer signal, brake pedal input, and door locks.

Anyway you look at it, not getting any indicator lights is very strange. Has any diagnostic work been performed on your truck recently (pre-VSC engagement issues)?

I'm going to look up the procedure to reinitialize the yaw rate sensor tomorrow at work, and if you need a jumper to do so, I wonder if the tech may have left one in a diagnostic connector, or left it backprobing a connector on the ECU or yaw rate sensor. I haven't aligned one of these newer Tacoma's yet.

2. Jan 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    Sheppymach

Sheppymach Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheppy
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner trail edition
    BLU LOGIC bt, avid, weather tech mats & rain guards, 285/70/17, BenWA's totally AWESOME power sliding window mod.
    Vehicle speed sensors keeps coming up for reference. Any chance they got messed up.

[​IMG]
    Part OEM Part # Price
    Yaw Rate Sensor 8918360020 $931.78

yuck!!!!!!!!!!

3. Jan 25, 2011 at 10:26 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Sheppy, your pictures aren't showing up.

Try saving them to your local disk and then re-uploading them to TW.

4. Jan 25, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Pics were up , now they are gone

5. Jan 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    Sheppymach

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheppy
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Vehicle:
    BLU LOGIC bt, avid, weather tech mats & rain guards, 285/70/17, BenWA's totally AWESOME power sliding window mod.
    It was the wiring charts & pin locations for all the harnesses he was having issues with from ALL DATA. if you guys need them again i can try to see what happened. they were there then poof gone. I have subscription to ALL DATA so its no problem to search things out.

sorry for the delay ive been out dicking around in snow all day now were getting 8 to 12" with thunder snow...crazy hearing thunder while its snowing.

6. Jan 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky [OP] Expedition Style

Member:
    Any chance you could send them to me,

7. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    sierrahsky

Member:
    Hi Guys,

This is going to be a long one so get out your glasses or sit down. lol.

* A special thanks goes out to everyone who helped me. I used all of the info I got off here and was able to get a fix. And Sheppymatch you really did more than you had to. This guy literally sent me everything needed to fix this issue and did it 5 minutes before the tech and I started working, making this a 2 hour fix and it cost me NOTHING!

So There is a long list of little mistakes that happened during the vsc build up issues and here is how they story goes.

When the tech @ toyota first took a look at the truck he basically told me that I was in deep because the VSC computer module was not even responding. This of course was after they "reset" it in the first place. So I decided to try and do it myself the following day. I ran in to a similar issue when I tried re-setting the vsc via the sst method. I could not get anything to respond. So because this dealership I went to has fed me lines of bs in the past, I went to the dealership I work for. But this is a 2 hour 1 way drive for me, so I usually reserve these trips for emergencies. When I got to toyota Sheppy had sent me so many diagrams and instructions that the tech was able to print them out and sit down with me and go over everything with ease. We read through it all and started with the master cylinder. We disconnected the battery, then disconnected the wires running vsc from the master, then went and disconnected the yaw sensor, and then each sensor for the wheels. We then plugged the battery back in and plugged in the Diagnostic tool. Everything showed it was offline. So one by one we started re-connecting. When we finally had everything connected the vsc showed up again. We then went in and reset everything to 0 and cleared all known values. Then we went on a test drive. VSC stayed off the entire drive, and lets just say it was a spirited drive. So because it went so smoothly we tried to figure out what went wrong in the first place. When we got back we plugged the tool back in and moved the steering wheel slightly and also I sat in the drivers seat. Then we 0d out everything. ON the next test drive sure enough the vsc kicked in leaving the parking lot. So my assumption is the tech 1 did not do the vsc as he told me, 2 did it prior to my lift, and 3 did not do it correctly in the first place. Also when the reno toyota tried to diagnose in the first place they must have hooked it up wrong, because even the 2nd time around we got the vsc computer to show up even though it was having issues, it was just showing values that were way off.

Another thing I would like to mention is my VSC was over engaging, and that was the main issue, however the truck was acting as though nothing was out of the ordinary, so that is why the lights were normal.

I also want to note that now, after the lift and proper vsc calibration, during off-roading the vsc does not come on unless my wheel is past 4 o'clock and i am going over 40 miles per hour. And driving up and down that mountain road I had to do almost 45 mph and have the wheel past 4 to get it to kick in..... and when I did that my a** was clenched anyways! lol

I know this seems like an easy fix to a pain in the ass problem, but the only reason that was the case is because of the people from Tacoma World. I am a member of several forums, but when the Sh^T hits the fan I turn to TW to help me out. I have never been let down and I would just like to extend a big thank you to everyone who helped. Collectively this was figured out, and had the tech had it himself, he admitted that it would have taken 3 x as long to get an answer and that knowing where to look was awesome.

8. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:47 AM
    sierrahsky

Member:
    Ya I am not terrified of driving the Taco anymore! lol

The best part is its like having a new truck. I did not realize how off the settings where, taking this thing offroad is like crazy now!

9. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    Sheppymach

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheppy
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Vehicle:
    A W E S O M E, always glad to help tech's figure there own stuff out.

even after shoveling out 17" inches of snow

10. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    sierrahsky

Member:
    Well the funny part was the first thing he asked was "How did you get this info". I just told him a guy from a tacoma website. lol But he said it like "holy crap". lol

And your timing could not have been better, I can not thank you enough.!

11. Jan 28, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Awesome news , congrats

12. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Great news... I would have done everything I could to get rid of it :p I don't even have ANY traction or stability control on my truck and I like it that way... ABS is all I need, granted its traction control but not like that.

Good to hear you're fixed!

13. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    sierrahsky

Member:
    Ya I would have never fixed it if the result was that It went away, but my problem was it was way to active! I mean when your pulling out of a parking lot and your breaks lock up that is just crazy....

The tech was saying that he thinks that if you could make a switch that simply kept the signal but disabled it sending it back out you could turn on and off the whole system... I dont know much about electronics with the cars and trucks but hey that would be sweet

14. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Was the steering wheel not being centred when the values were zeroed creating the problem?

15. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM
    sierrahsky

Member:
    That was one of the issues, and you have to also consider that someone sitting in the truck during the test causes the yaw to change by roughly 10 degrees, so now if you take a corner in the truck with a person who is heavier or lighter, your already going to be off on the sensor.. add in the lift and you start really getting some crazy numbers.

16. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Glad you got it worked out!

17. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Good to know , I hadn't considered the driver weight into the equation .

18. Jan 29, 2011 at 11:10 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Glad you got it all solved Josh!

Also really glad it was nothing we did, haha. :D

19. Jan 30, 2011 at 3:06 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    Why dont you just intall a Detroit TruTrac and forget about the vsc. Works ten times better and you dont have to worry about engaging it.

20. Jan 30, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    What do you mean " you don't have to engage the VSC " ? it engages on it's own . You can disable it , but not engage it .

Discuss

Products Discussed in

To Top