Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Show me your shell!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #202
indycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud of

Name: Ross
indycross's Tacoma Gallery
Well mines a faux shell, but a shell none the least!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #204
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eachin View Post
I have a bit of a conundrum. I would really like a shell for hunting and camping, and transporting stuff in the bed during winter, but I need to be able to carry mountain bikes over the tailgate during the summer (the only way to fit 5 bikes in the bed of my shortbed tacoma).

Does anyone have any input on what if any topper would work with bikes over the tailgate as pictured below? I imagine the loading/unloading process in particular would be difficult/impossible with a topper but I might need to see in person to tell for sure. Perhaps the removable rear window might make this feasible.

Obviously one option is remove the topper for the summer and put it on for the winter/as needed, but I don't particularly like that option. If it really is the best solution though, do most of these shells go on/come off fairly easily?

There are high top shells available that would work. As far as i know, the rear doors are not easily removed (if at all). The caps are easy to take off and put back on, but you may need to replace weatherstripping.

GA
Old 08-15-2009, 05:30 AM   #205
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
The A.R.E. shell I finally received had to be sent back. I will report how my dealings with A.R.E. come out. Hopefully the outcome will be pics of my new cap with me grinning from ear to ear next to it.
The windows were very poor quality and I have recommended to them to replace all the windows with new ones. Even though I've told them what they are going to do in a very polite way, they are still deciding what to do and I'm getting impatient. I think asking for good quality NEW windows is not to much to ask..............I don't expect it fixed overnight, but at least a follow up with a countermeasure.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #207
deeznutz will become famous soon enough
deeznutz's Tacoma Gallery
Pics of mine

Old 09-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #208
09tacomg is on a distinguished road

09tacomg's Tacoma Gallery
Leer 100R
Attached Thumbnails
Show me your shell!-tacoma1.jpg  
Old 09-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #209
sportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to behold
sportnobadges's Tacoma Gallery
this is my cap

this is the MX model cap from ARE . the side windows open out. ARE calls them 'windoors'. they are great for reaching into the bed. inside the bed i have attached cargo bags on each side for little stuff that would roll around in the bed. has worked out just fine so far.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #210
Chewbacca ate my cereal.
Wing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: SSGT 2A373
Name: Grant
Wing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportnobadges View Post

this is the MX model cap from ARE . the side windows open out. ARE calls them 'windoors'. they are great for reaching into the bed. inside the bed i have attached cargo bags on each side for little stuff that would roll around in the bed. has worked out just fine so far.
Nice shell. This is more towards what I am looking for. Where did you get it from? Cost? Is it easy to remove and install?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #211
sportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to behold
wing, got it from an outfit here called 'toys for trucks'. you will probably have to google A.R.E. and use their 'find a dealer' thing to see where you can get one.
cost right around $1800. That included the side 'windoors' and a front window with a slider in it to match the cab, and it folds down into the bed so you can clean both windows without taking the cap off. have not removed it yet. but when i bought it i weighed the truck with a full tank of gas before cap was installed and again with a full tank of gas after it was installed. cap weighs 184 pounds. it is bolted to the same rail that holds the side tyedown cleats. looks like it would be easy to remove if you had 3 or 4 people to do it. also comes with a sprayed on fuzzy headliner inside the cap. and a 12volt lite in the rear. and in the front at the top where it is slanted back another window that is fixed in place. i shopped around a lot before i jumped in. this was the best cap for the price with the features i wanted. good luck.
Originally Posted by lsocoee
I am so envious of Dodge, Chevy, Ford, Nissan, GMC, and Suzuki owners. They get to check out my sweet Tacoma when they're driving, I'm just stuck looking at all their ugly trucks.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #212
dtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dtacow's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have a Flip-Pac?
Old 09-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #213
06 TACOMA 4X4
ODICA will become famous soon enough

Army:
Name: Earl
ODICA's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Here's Mine...

Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #214
Chewbacca ate my cereal.
Wing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: SSGT 2A373
Name: Grant
Wing's Tacoma Gallery
Sharp looking rig!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #215
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Finally got it back and installed. I think I may do a write up on my experience in the product review sub-forum. Watch for more...........options include: Yakima roof rack, vented windoors both sides, tilt down front slider, headliner, front and rear 12v light.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #217
more pix

couldn't resist after seeing hoosiertaco's pix

Originally Posted by lsocoee
I am so envious of Dodge, Chevy, Ford, Nissan, GMC, and Suzuki owners. They get to check out my sweet Tacoma when they're driving, I'm just stuck looking at all their ugly trucks.

sportnobadges
Old 09-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #219
09tacomg is on a distinguished road

09tacomg's Tacoma Gallery

Leer 100R
Old 10-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #220
bmactexas is on a distinguished road
bmactexas's Tacoma Gallery
Hoosiertaco.

Will you summarize your experience dealing with ARE. Did you go through your top dealer or directly through ARE?

The thin plastic trim that wraps around the bottom exterior of my topper has come unglued, and I'm going to have to have something done about it.

Products Discussed in this Thread